Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:54 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times

Advertisements

I think the unions should take the brunt of the blame for the domestic automaker's woes. You can not consistently make money when you have to give in to the unreasonable demands of clowns like the UAW.
It's hard enough to make money in good times.

Small cars, big trucks... doesn't matter. They could make money selling re-branded Yugos if it weren't for the unions.

Michigan is going to have to enter the 21st century if they ever want get out of their mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
I think the unions should take the brunt of the blame for the domestic automaker's woes. You can not consistently make money when you have to give in to the unreasonable demands of clowns like the UAW.
It's hard enough to make money in good times.

Small cars, big trucks... doesn't matter. They could make money selling re-branded Yugos if it weren't for the unions.

Michigan is going to have to enter the 21st century if they ever want get out of their mess.
The Unions are a BIG part of the problem currently, but it's also unfair to say that they are the only problem.

Although management was bullied into bad contracts to some extent, they also have to take some of the blame for negotiating those things. Also, although GM's quality is fine now, they paid a big price for the poorly-designed cars of the 80's and 90's. The lost market share as a result of that era is still a thorn in GM's side right now. That's why you still hear people saying (incorrectly) that GM is failing because they build junk cars that no one wants. That reputation didn't come from thin air. They earned it. It's no longer true and I like to fight it when I hear it, but I also understand it.

BUT - the basic problem right now is still profitability.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:02 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The Unions are a BIG part of the problem currently, but it's also unfair to say that they are the only problem.
Nobody said unions are the only problem. The union situation is the "low hanging fruit" and when rectified, will go the longest distance in returning GM to profitability. The union issue needs to be addressed first and foremost, then they can deal with quality perception, etc.

For the record, I bought a Saturn SUV one year ago and am very happy with it; I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever. On my previous Hondas and Toyotas, I've encountered at least one or two small problems during the first year.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
How much are the Executives paid again? Why are they being rewarded for failure?

Frankly, GM will suck TX unemployment benefits dry (especially when they fail and run up our unemployment rate). No thanks!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
This would be bad for Michigan...maybe they're just trying to get the desperate state to help them out even more?
So is this the first "big rumor" you've ever started? Probably not...

Is there a reason or vendetta you started this???

Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:

Although management was bullied into bad contracts to some extent, they also have to take some of the blame for negotiating those things. Also, although GM's quality is fine now, they paid a big price for the poorly-designed cars of the 80's and 90's. The lost market share as a result of that era is still a thorn in GM's side right now. That's why you still hear people saying (incorrectly) that GM is failing because they build junk cars that no one wants. That reputation didn't come from thin air. They earned it. It's no longer true and I like to fight it when I hear it, but I also understand it.

BUT - the basic problem right now is still profitability.
You are so right. It took two to tango.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,121 times
Please stop discussing this, people. We don't need any more moronic ideas.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,531 times
GM leaving would not be a big deal. Detroit is a major U.S. city, so they have other industries to rely on to keep the city going. Just like the many other major U.S. cities.

If they don't, then its the residents and leaders fault for not wanting other industries in the city and metro area.

Last edited by Jwo85; 05-14-2009 at 12:16 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 03:52 PM

197 posts, read 378,897 times
GM doesn't make AS much money on smaller cars, to say they don't make money on non SUVs is just daft, seriously, they are greedy, and this is what they get for it, don't sell me that BS that SUVs are the only way they will survive. Something else that US automakers have to deal with that ALL other automakers don't is health care. All other automakers have national healthcare so the automakers don't have to pay into the health system, unlike GM. NO ONE realizes that, the amount of money GM pays wages vs health care is REALLY disproportionate. Our health care system is plainly to expensive. Watch these reports before you rebuttal.

unions
The Real News Network - Unions in America
The Real News Network - The war against unions
The Real News Network - The union non-union gap

GM
The Real News Network - Could union ownership reshape auto?
The Real News Network - Too big to fail, too big to be privately owned

health care
The Real News Network - Episode

Old 05-14-2009, 06:55 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
GM doesn't make AS much money on smaller cars, to say they don't make money on non SUVs is just daft, seriously, they are greedy, and this is what they get for it, don't sell me that BS that SUVs are the only way they will survive. Something else that US automakers have to deal with that ALL other automakers don't is health care. All other automakers have national healthcare so the automakers don't have to pay into the health system, unlike GM. NO ONE realizes that, the amount of money GM pays wages vs health care is REALLY disproportionate. Our health care system is plainly to expensive. Watch these reports before you rebuttal.
Why should it be a company's responsibility to fully pay for a person's health care until they die? The problem isn't our health care system, it's that GM's contracts are overly-generous. How many companies in the U.S. have reasonable health insurance plans, and yet somehow manage to NOT be massive failures like GM????

The health care that people get in those countries isn't free. Instead of making companies foot the bill, the people just pay for it themselves. It still has to be paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.