Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 PM

69 posts, read 241,376 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Long Island, New York and been living in Northwest, Georgia for 2 years. This is the worst place I ever lived in my entire life. I never knew a place like this even existed. It was not my idea to move here-- it was my parents. These are the main reasons why I HATE this state (YES, I CAN SAY STATE BECAUSE I'VE BEEN ALL AROUND GEORGIA. Atlanta has to be the worst city I ever been to).

1. They have these subdivisions, also known as rat mazes where most of the streets lead to dead ends and you end up walking in circles feeling lost, alone, without a purpose. You will NOT be able to reach a real destination B because these subdivisions only have houses. The nearest place other than a house is a gasoline station which takes 35 minutes to walk to and that includes walking on steep hills. But when you do it you have to be careful because there aren't any SIDEWALKS. So now you just increased your chances of getting hit by a car. Even though there isn't a lot of traffic in the subdivision where I live, there are some who beep even though I am walking very close to the edge of the right lane. I mean, what I am suppose to do? Walk in the air? They beep even though there aren't any cars on the opposite lane. They can easily move a little on that side and pass me. This place does not offer anything for pedestrians (only makes it dangerous for them). This is why anyone who is seen walking outside is considered to be "exercising." There is only 1 entrance and 1 exit for the rat maze (subdivision) I live in. These ENDLESS dead end CURVED streets means you only have a few places to walk and go to. It is very similar to a Playstation game environment when you encounter a translucent wall that does not allow you to go to any further.

2. The only public transportation available here is taxi- NO BUSES, NO SUBWAYS, NO TRAINS, NO NOTHING. You are FORCED to drive just to get to places. A car is a handicapped wheelchair for these people because without it they cannot do anything. You are also FORCED to waste MORE gasoline because everything is farther away. It takes 2 hours and 45 minutes just to WALK to the nearest library here. BY that time where I lived in Long Island, I would of passed 4 libraries and it only takes 25 minutes to reach the first one. New York has about a double population than Georgia but somehow this state managed to get 18.4% of deaths related to motor vehicle (from 1999-2005) while New York only has 9.8% and NY is also the 2nd most safest state to drive. This DOES NOT surprise me because of the way the streets are designed. A lot of these streets look more like a Nascar track.

(I went to different countries in Central America and they have BETTER transportation than this place.)

3. The people--- These are the most nosy people I ever seen in my life. I see them looking out their windows while I am walking outside and as I get closer to their house, they duck, run, or hide while others have a different approach. The ones that barely know me say hi to me and I respond hi back and then they misinterpret this like I am welcoming them to a conversation, which they automatically start without my permission. Their conversations vary (it's their conversation because I do not participate in it), but most of the time they talk about pointless, personal information that I do not even want to hear. I think the reason they do this is out of boredom and loneliness. Who can blame them? They live in an anti-social environment disguised by big houses and fancy cars (as if this is what only matters in life). Can someone please explain why absolute strangers in cars are waving hi to me and smiling while I am driving? What is this? Disney World? I could never figure this out and don't think I ever will. It will be a mystery to me even when I am back in New York.

4. Racism- It's like these people have a split personality.They are known for their friendliness but on the other hand, I NEVER experienced so many racists in a small amount of time. In only 2 years, I've been called names, insulted at college by students and PROFESSORS, mailbox broken, house egged, etc... All I am going to say is that I am glad Obama won (in this case, only to **** them off).

5. NOTHING TO DO--- Other than work, your choices are limited to restaurants and Walmart. These people overdid it with Walmart. Now you can get a hair cut, take a family picture, get a pedicure, get your taxes done, get an eye test, and participate in the most popular social event here- eat fast food, and in this case, it happens to be McDonald's. I am not surprised GA is the 12th most obese state. I never even went to Walmart in NY, these people go to Walmart more than they go to church. It's almost like a ritual or something. These people are so bored that sometimes I see them looking at the sky at planes passing by in amuzement.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:20 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
This is a rant thread VAGUELY disguised as an open topic. Please, we all have been (or currently are) somewhere we didn't really enjoy. Sorry you don't like Georgia... I'm from the Northeast and while I have lived elsewhere and prefer the Northeast to just about anywhere, I can honestly say that Georgia is a great place and I can see why the people that love it there love it.

Furthermore, I think you need to learn to deal with a new environment not being exactly the same as what you left. I'm currently "stuck" in Portland Maine and I miss that I can't take the subway or train anywhere and I get annoyed that every restaurant and bar is "casual" (meaning everyone's in jeans and a t-shirt with a pub-style atmosphere), and I miss living near the city (the REAL city, not a mid size town with the name, "city"). I miss what I loved about living in the Boston area, but I don't hate Portland for not being just like Boston. In the end, it's a great little place, just not the place for me. It SHOULDN'T be Boston (or even try to be Boston). I've given it a shot, it's not for me and I can't wait to leave. I've had some good experiences, learned some good things, and I'm ready to move on and you should do the same in Georgia. It seems like you just didn't give it a chance to show you the good side of it.

Don't hate on Georgia just because you had unrealistic expectations and hopes for the area. Most of the time when someone doesn't like it somewhere it's the person and not the place. While I can't wait to leave Portland, it's not because Portland stinks, it's because I don't like living the culture and lifestyle that's the norm in Portland. It doesn't make Portland any less of a place because I don't like it. From reading your post, I get the same impression about you and where you are in Georgia.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Ive actually lived in NY and CA and liked em both.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:39 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,735 times
Utah...the church still rules that place with an iron fist

Old 03-02-2009, 01:40 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,080 times
Ive lived in Virginia my whole life. I guess I was just blessed !

Old 03-02-2009, 01:40 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is a rant thread VAGUELY disguised as an open topic. Please, we all have been (or currently are) somewhere we didn't really enjoy. Sorry you don't like Georgia... I'm from the Northeast and while I have lived elsewhere and prefer the Northeast to just about anywhere, I can honestly say that Georgia is a great place and I can see why the people that love it there love it.

Furthermore, I think you need to learn to deal with a new environment not being exactly the same as what you left. I'm currently "stuck" in Portland Maine and I miss that I can't take the subway or train anywhere and I get annoyed that every restaurant and bar is "casual" (meaning everyone's in jeans and a t-shirt with a pub-style atmosphere), and I miss living near the city (the REAL city, not a mid size town with the name, "city"). I miss what I loved about living in the Boston area, but I don't hate Portland for not being just like Boston. In the end, it's a great little place, just not the place for me. It SHOULDN'T be Boston (or even try to be Boston). I've given it a shot, it's not for me and I can't wait to leave. I've had some good experiences, learned some good things, and I'm ready to move on and you should do the same in Georgia. It seems like you just didn't give it a chance to show you the good side of it.

Don't hate on Georgia just because you had unrealistic expectations and hopes for the area. Most of the time when someone doesn't like it somewhere it's the person and not the place. While I can't wait to leave Portland, it's not because Portland stinks, it's because I don't like living the culture and lifestyle that's the norm in Portland. It doesn't make Portland any less of a place because I don't like it. From reading your post, I get the same impression about you and where you are in Georgia.
1. I would hate living in Northwest Georgia too. I can't even really picture it...near Chattanooga?

2. At sixteen, I would have hated living ANYWHERE if I didn't have a choice and I was forced to move away from my home and my friends.

3. I hated almost everything when I was sixteen.

To the OP

You do realize that subdivisions and cul-de-sacs weren't invented in Georgia...correct? They are everywhere, all across the country.

Some common characteristics of rural or semi-rural areas are:

1. Lack of public transportation
2. More people in your business
3. Little to no entertainment options
4. More narrow minded people

Your parents are to blame for your library issues...they chose to live 2.5 hours from the nearest library, and they could have made a different choice. Does your school not have a library you can use? Also..."those people", i.e. residents of your 'ville, didn't "overdo Wal Mart". Wal Mart is a corporation and decisions on services and locations are made elsewhere - not in your little town.

What did you despise about Atlanta? It would have to be a completely different list, because Atlanta doesn't fit your current list of ills. My advice to you, whether you want it or not, is to try to be happy wherever you are until you can be somewhere else. You really don't want to spend those last years with your parents being angry...you'll be miserable and you'll make them miserable - and it will carry over into your adult life.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 03-02-2009 at 02:17 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 01:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Come back to Long Island, you're always welcomed

Many people I know who moved to the south didn't like it. They move just for the weather and don't realize how different the culture is compared to LI. There's a reason why places that are more expensive have more to offer.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not to worry, most Georgians would probably rather chew their own arm off than live in New York. Or anywhere near you.

People I know in Georgia love NY.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
People I know in Georgia love NY.
Which is why that poster said MOST Georgians...and by that Im guessing natives.

Personally, I'd rather shoot off my own foot than live in NY...however, Im only Georgia's next door neighbor.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 PM

The majority of people in the world would love to be in NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.