Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 PM

20 posts, read 107,223 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Tomorrow in the early morning I will drive to New York City from Columbus Ohio. Google Maps gives two options one of them by using I-80, and the other one is using I-70 & I-76. They are almost same. Which route should I choose? Which one is better for driving?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
76/70/78 is the nicest drive but most of it is a toll road.

80 is just a boring drive

Old 12-18-2009, 07:55 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
76/70/78 is the nicest drive but most of it is a toll road.

80 is just a boring drive
The one part of 80 that is interesting is between Williamsport and State College. (Bellefonte) Actually, even as far west as Brookville, it is a very scenic, mountainous drive. But of the two, I would agree with the last poster that the PA Turnpike is overall the more visually appealing road, particularly between Bedford and New Stanton.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:44 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
I-80 doesn't go to Williamsport (although there are enough confusing signs to make you think it does) but passes higher hills/mountains from about DuBois east to Milton (West Branch Susquehanna River crossing), with a couple of nice spots just east of Bloomsburg (North Branch Susquehanna crossing), and (if you're not stuck in traffic) in the Delaware Water Gap at the NJ/PA border.

The rolling high plateau continues west from DuBois to near I-79, with high bridges to look off at Brookville and Emlenton.

I-76/PA Turnpike is often an uncomfortable road to drive for people not used to the proximity of concrete barriers, or to tunnels. As "America's First Superhighway" the sight lines and median width are different from more modern Midwestern/Western interstates to the point even of triggering claustrophobia for some folks. I like the scenery on the Turnpike from about Cranberry (I-79 again), east to the Blue Mountain interchange, with higher mountains again from New Stanton (western I-70 split) east to Blue Mountain. West of New Stanton on I-70, the high bridges over the Monongahela and Youghiogheny Rivers add some interest.

From Carlisle east to NYC there is a choice of I-81/78 via Allentown, or the Turnpikes via Philadelphia. The scenery in NJ is far superior on I-78 than on the Turnpike. A lot of I-78 in PA is substandard/too narrow with plenty of wrecks in an area where scrubby farms are yielding to monster warehouses with lots of truck traffic. From the Harrisburg area I usually just take the Turnpikes heading to central Jersey anymore, though I-78 is nominally shorter it seems always to take longer without enough lanes to carry its traffic.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:25 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
I think that Interstate 80 gives the best overall SCENIC route and best overall road conditions...76 is OK; but the THUMP>>>THUMP...of the concrete expansion joints gets very annoying.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:45 PM

I've driven 80 across PA more times than I want to count. Its pretty, but after a while it gets very old.

It has to be the most boring drive in the entire country (and I've driven across the entire country a few times). The scenery is pretty much the same throughout the entire trip. Most of the towns along the way are backwoods truckstops and not very inviting.

Unless you like country and religious programming, I hope you have an ipod or satellite radio (although there is a very good stations out of State College and Lewisburgh).

Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 PM

294 posts, read 659,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I've driven 80 across PA more times than I want to count. Its pretty, but after a while it gets very old.

It has to be the most boring drive in the entire country (and I've driven across the entire country a few times). The scenery is pretty much the same throughout the entire trip. Most of the towns along the way are backwoods truckstops and not very inviting.

Unless you like country and religious programming, I hope you have an ipod or satellite radio (although there is a very good stations out of State College and Lewisburgh).

Uhhh, you have got to be kidding me. More boring than the midwest/plains states?

Not. A. Chance.

The scenery in PA blows away much of the center of the country... which isn't saying much.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
Uhhh, you have got to be kidding me. More boring than the midwest/plains states?

Not. A. Chance.

The scenery in PA blows away much of the center of the country... which isn't saying much.
Yeah, I forgot about my drive across Kansas. That was pretty bad, but I only did it once.

I used to go to school in PA and WV and drive I-80 back to NY more times than I want to remember. PA is a big state and the ride is way too long without anything interesting along the way.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:54 PM

20 posts, read 107,223 times
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I would use I-70 76 78 series, but the car broke down. Therefore, I'm stuck in Columbus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.