Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times

Advertisements

Poll: State GOP could sweep to victory *| ajc.com

"The deep dissatisfaction Georgians feel toward Democrats in Washington is evident in a new poll showing the state GOP may be poised to make historic gains in November’s election.

The poll conducted for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the Georgia Newspaper Partnership shows the Republican candidate holding a slight edge in the race for governor but huge leads in the races for U.S. Senate and lieutenant governor. The poll, conducted by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research Inc., has Republican gubernatorial nominee Nathan Deal leading Democrat Roy Barnes, 45 to 41 percent."

Hmmm....don't I recall some forum members after the 2008 election prognosticating about how Georgia was getting "more blue" and how the election of Obama nationally proved something? If I remember correctly, I disagreed and gave my reasons why. Looks like the AJC agrees with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 08:03 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,113,258 times
In a Augusta Chronicle article, they said a poll showed Barnes had caught up to Deal.

Barnes catches Deal, poll says | The Augusta Chronicle

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-19-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Hmmm....don't I recall some forum members after the 2008 election prognosticating about how Georgia was getting "more blue" and how the election of Obama nationally proved something? If I remember correctly, I disagreed and gave my reasons why. Looks like the AJC agrees with me.
Anyone that thinks GA is trending blue is engaged in some serious wishful thinking. Even the Democrat candidate for governor knows that his biggest liability is his party and its' leadership...why else would he have run for the hills (well, in his case, the south GA lowlands) when POTUS showed up in Atlanta?
This poll simply reflects a larger trend in our country at this moment.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
This poll simply reflects a larger trend in our country at this moment.
Totally agree. Some tried to tell us that the election of Obama in 2008 was a fundamental shift in voter alignment to the left and that GA was somehow moving left due to transplants and the younger generation.

My opinion then was that the national election in 2008 was a reaction to Bush and the war, combined by a reaction to Obama by minority voters who don't typically stay involved. As pointed out in 2008, the runoff in GA showed that Obama voters couldn't even be bothered to come out and vote for Jim Martin after Obama was elected. This year will be a tidal wave against incumbents in general, as big or possibly bigger than 1994, and Democrats will take the brunt.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:25 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
In a Augusta Chronicle article, they said a poll showed Barnes had caught up to Deal.

Barnes catches Deal, poll says | The Augusta Chronicle
That could well be, although I believe that to be an aftershock to the revelation of Deal's financial problems. I think Deal's smarmy political ads will continue to be effective against Barnes, as they do an effective job of exposing his 'vulnerabilities'.
To me, it is telling enough that a candidate as weak as Deal is still holding his own.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:42 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
I voted Democrat because I wanted Bush out at all costs and was sick of that way of thinking. Unfortunately I don't feel that Obama has done everything he said he would, or he has changed his tune sometimes, so I am not feeling it at all. If my way of thinking is the trend, I'd imagine all Dems will be out, all over the country.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 PM

13 posts, read 21,362 times
Vote Libertarian. The GOP and Dems will deliver the same results.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinTownsend View Post
Vote Libertarian. The GOP and Dems will deliver the same results.
The problem with many Libertarian Party candidates is they're not well organized and often a little wacky. I'm libertarian in my beliefs, and I would love to be able to vote for a serious set of Libertarian Party candidates, but too often that just gets the Democrat elected by siphoning off conservative leaning votes from the Republican candidate. In a tight race that can get the Democrat elected.

The 1992 US Presidential election is an excellent example of a wacky 3rd party candidate siphoning off votes and the Democrat getting elected. Principle is great, and I applaud voting on principle, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. I may just end up holding my nose and voting for Deal. I have never been this undecided this close to an election. I wish we had better choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: