Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 04:55 PM

216 posts, read 413,624 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know the reasoning behind why the Georgia Board of Regents refuses to let any public college or university in the state offer payment plans to their students? I wanted to start taking classes to prepare for a grad program that's different from my degree, and I didn't want to take out loans, preferring to pay out of pocket, on a payment plan, instead.

But, when I asked about payment plans, I was told about the board's decision. The result is that if a student doesn't get financial aid, they have to pay all their costs up front at the beginning of the semester. I think this hurts people who don't want to go into debt, or further into debt.

Some of the colleges contract with tuition management companies, but if the student isn't able to start paying for their future courses two months before the semester starts, those plans aren't doable. I just don't understand not having payment plans. Does the Georgia Board of Regents not care that they're losing students, and money, to other states? I'm going to have to go somewhere else and pay a lot more money just so I can get on a payment plan. What kind of sense does that make? To me, it makes no sense, but it's my only option if I want to pursue my goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 AM

43 posts, read 66,676 times
What you are asking for is a loan essentially. Yes it sucks because I was 30K in debt when I got out. But we can't expect someone else(even if it's the government) to foot the bill until we can repay(without it being a loan). That's why there are loans, for people that don't want to wait and save their money.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsmith1977 View Post
What you are asking for is a loan essentially. Yes it sucks because I was 30K in debt when I got out. But we can't expect someone else(even if it's the government) to foot the bill until we can repay(without it being a loan). That's why there are loans, for people that don't want to wait and save their money.
Your logic is so terrible, your imbecility speaks for itself. I'll leave it at that.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
Your logic is so terrible, your imbecility speaks for itself. I'll leave it at that.
So instead of saving your money and going to college next year. You want the state to foot the bill until you can start making payments. What else am I missing?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
So instead of saving your money and going to college next year. You want the state to foot the bill until you can start making payments. What else am I missing?
You missed the whole point. Instead of you focusing on the LARGER ISSUE, which is Georgia's lack of payment plans in its public colleges, you decided you wanted to focus on little ol' me, and release your frustration at having a life that sucks, by going after me for so-called "freeloading". But, again, I'm not the issue, and what I was talking about isn't freeloading.

In case you didn't know, grants and federal student loans don't cover all costs, in every case. Some students end up being "gapped", which means that after financial aid is counted, they still need to come up with money out of pocket. That's where a campus-based tuition payment plan - also called deferred tuition payment - would come into play. Students could break their outstanding balances into 3, 4, or 5 monthly payments over the course of the semester (with payment starting immediately), and pay a fee for the privilege. That's not freeloading or having someone else foot the bill.

Unfortunately, without a payment plan there is no help for students who are gapped, and paying half of a future semester's tuition and fees two months in advance (via 3rd party "tuition management" companies) isn't doable for a lot of people, and I would dare say most people/families - especially in this economy.

Furthermore, if people don't want to wait to go to school, they don't HAVE to, and you should stop expecting other people to do what YOU would do, and then harshly judging them by your standards. Who the f**k are you to be chastising or making demands of anyone else? Every person is an individual with differing circumstances that you have no way of knowing about. So, dump the self-righteousness.

Anyway, Georgia is only one state among many, and I don't have to wait if I don't want to, nor does anyone else. I can move, so I'll just take my money where it'll be appreciated, even if I can't pay it all at one time. And, that's exactly what I intend to do. What you think doesn't matter. People like you make me sick. You grow e-balls and talk a bunch of s**t behind the anonymity of the Internet, but wouldn't dare say this stuff to someone's face. Drop dead. Really.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
You missed the whole point. Instead of you focusing on the LARGER ISSUE, which is Georgia's lack of payment plans in its public colleges, you decided you wanted to focus on little ol' me, and release your frustration at having a life that sucks, by going after me for so-called "freeloading". But, again, I'm not the issue, and what I was talking about isn't freeloading.

In case you didn't know, grants and federal student loans don't cover all costs, in every case. Some students end up being "gapped", which means that after financial aid is counted, they still need to come up with money out of pocket. That's where a campus-based tuition payment plan - also called deferred tuition payment - would come into play. Students could break their outstanding balances into 3, 4, or 5 monthly payments over the course of the semester, and pay a fee for the privilege. That's not freeloading or having someone else foot the bill.

Unfortunately, without a payment plan there is no help for students who are gapped, and paying half of a future semester's tuition and fees two months in advance (via 3rd party "tuition management" companies) isn't doable for a lot of people, and I would dare say most people/families - especially in this economy.

Furthermore, if people don't want to wait to go to school, they don't HAVE to, and you should stop expecting other people to do what YOU would do, and then harshly judging them by your standards. Who the f**k are you to be chastising or making demands of anyone else? Every person is an individual with differing circumstances that you have no way of knowing about. So, dump the self-righteousness.

Anyway, Georgia is only one state among many, and I don't have to wait if I don't want to, nor does anyone else. I can move, so I'll just take my money where it'll be appreciated, even if I can't pay it all at one time. And, that's exactly what I intend to do. What you think doesn't matter. People like you make me sick. You grow e-balls and talk a bunch of s**t behind the anonymity of the Internet, but wouldn't dare say this stuff to someone's face. Drop dead. Really.
I know this personally. That's why I went to a cheaper school. Had a lot of money left over after tuition and books.

But tell me, who pays the costs until the payments catch up?

Old 11-25-2010, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,161 times
Hello,
Perhaps the current budget situation is one of the causes for elimination of many educational programs of this type in Georgia. I am going back to graduate school in another field. I am saving up money to pay for one class at a time, taking one class per semester, and downgrading my lifestyle to avoid taking out loans. This is the sacrifice I am willing to make though. If you do not desire to take out loans, you may wish to consider applying for scholarships or perhaps seeking employment with a company that provides tuition reimbursement. Good luck in your pursuit in higher education.

Last edited by DustPan; 11-25-2010 at 04:52 PM..

Old 11-26-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I know this personally. That's why I went to a cheaper school. Had a lot of money left over after tuition and books.

But tell me, who pays the costs until the payments catch up?
Good for you.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustPan View Post
Hello,
Perhaps the current budget situation is one of the causes for elimination of many educational programs of this type in Georgia. I am going back to graduate school in another field. I am saving up money to pay for one class at a time, taking one class per semester, and downgrading my lifestyle to avoid taking out loans. This is the sacrifice I am willing to make though. If you do not desire to take out loans, you may wish to consider applying for scholarships or perhaps seeking employment with a company that provides tuition reimbursement. Good luck in your pursuit in higher education.
Thank you for actually giving an answer to the question that was actually asked, and also for making a suggestion, instead of ignoring the question asked and instead calling me a freeloader.

I am going to downgrade my lifestyle, but it would take much too long to reach my goal just taking one class at a time. So, I started researching and have come up with several good options from which to choose.

As a veteran, I can get free tuition at any of Connecticut's public colleges, and in-state tuition at any of Ohio's public colleges - many of which, in both states, have school-based payment plans. There is no cap or limit to the waivers, and they are granted for undergraduate and graduate studies.

Also, "regular", out-of-state tuition at New Mexico Highlands University (http://nmhu.edu/future/tuition/index.aspx - broken link) is just $2,316 per semester for 12-18 credits, and $123 per credit hour for fewer than 12 credits for undergrad courses. Graduate courses are even cheaper, with 9 credits (considered FT) costing $1,737 a semester. NMHU also has a school-based payment plan for students.

Thank you for your well wishes. Good luck on your educational pursuits as well.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 7,161 times
You're welcome.

It sounds like you have come up with excellent options. The last university you mentioned has excellent tuition rates for out-of-state students for graduate school.

Take care, and thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia