Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 12:21 PM

26 posts, read 41,937 times

Advertisements

I am looking for what area of the state has the best hunting. I am looking for a mix of deer, turkey, ducks, geese, small game etc. Just wondering if certain regions or areas of the state are better than others. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,591 times
The mountains of north Georgia are really good for hunting deer and turkey. I see them all the time in the beautiful fields along Hwy 60 between Suches and Morganton ( one of the most scenic drives in Georgia IMO ).It honestly is a sportsmans paradise area with great fishing , canoeing , hiking etc . Just lovely up there.
As far as duck and geese , I would think that would be an area along the Georgia coast like Darien or Brunswick . Hopefully a true hunter , who hunts all kinds of animals will weigh in on that part of the question.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:17 PM

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering if there were any places to hunt waterfowl in the north west. Coming from Wisconsin, I am used to the different hunting opportunities basically being in the same area.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:51 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,591 times
Most of the duck hunters I do know, fly up in large groups on commercial airlines from the Atlanta area to your neck of the woods . They take everything they need with them , guns ,dogs ,equipment . which is quite a site to see when they are all leaving the airport.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:02 PM

I would think they would head to Arkansas before Wisconsin. There is some good duck hunting here but not worth flying in for. I am going to be relocating to Georgia this spring and am just trying to get some idea of how the hunting compares.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:07 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
I'm not a hunter but the woods are full of them, especially during deer season.

Here's a handy website. Somewhere it lists public lands for hunting if you have no connections to people with land or hunting leases, while you're still new here.

Hunting | Georgia DNR - Wildlife Resources Division

And yes, hunt wild hogs whenever you can.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:56 PM

130 posts, read 210,085 times
Do Yourself a HUGE favor and join GON (georgia outdoor news). Info treasure trove. By the way, North georgia deer are the size of house cats and have been few for the last couple of years.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:39 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southman View Post
. By the way, North georgia deer are the size of house cats and have been few for the last couple of years.
LOL... I never thought about it that way. I was so used to seeing deer taken in my home area make Crockett and Boone big game records I just assumed all deer were the same size.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:20 AM

Lol. When I lived in North Carolina, I saw the size of the deer being harvested and was shocked at how small they were. Being from Wisconsin, I am used to large bodied deer. Sounds like I can expect the same in parts of Georgia. I will definitely check out GON. Thank you for the information.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:57 PM

64 posts, read 133,936 times
I'd say the biggest deer are found in the flint river basin of south ga. Lots of high protein agricultural forage here. The farther north, the smaller the deer.....mainly due to forage with lower nutritional value. This is not to say they are less numerous, just not as big.

As for ducks, ga doesn't really sit in a major flyaway. Find a landowner with beaver ponds and you've got an excellent wood duck hunt. Also find farm ponds with vegetation such as hydrilla. This will attract a few divers. Networking with landowners is your best bet unless you're willing to fight crowds on public water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia