Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2020, 07:14 PM

821 posts, read 726,443 times

Advertisements

Pretty solid list.

Quote:
Kemp said in a news release the team of officials "represents a coalition of subject-matter experts from the private and public sectors who will work together on preventative measures, strategic deployment of resources, and collaboration across all levels of government." The group is tasked with assessing the state's preparations and procedures for "preventing, identifying, and - if needed - addressing cases of COVID-19."

There are currently no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Georgia, according to Dr. Kathleen Toomey, the state's Department of Public Health commissioner and a task force member.

Kemp said he made the announcement following a morning call with Vice President Mike Pence, who the Trump Administration picked Wednesday to lead the government's response to the virus, which has reached 83,000 global cases and more than 2,800 deaths. The World Health Organization says outside China there are 4,351 cases and 67 deaths. The U.S. has 61 cases.

Members of the task force:

Felipe den Brok: Director – City of Atlanta’s Office of Emergency Preparedness
Homer Bryson: Director – Georgia Emergency Management & Homeland Security Agency
Major General Tom Carden: Adjutant General – Georgia National Guard
Chris Carr: Attorney General – Office of the Attorney General
Sharon Cooper: MSN Chair – State House Health & Human Services Committee
Greg Dozier: Commissioner – Technical College System of Georgia
Cherie Drenzek: State Epidemiologist – Georgia Department of Public Health
Tim Fleming: Chief of Staff – Office of the Governor
John Haupert: FACHE Chief Executive Officer – Grady Health System
John King: Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner – Georgia Department of Insurance
Colleen Kraft: MD Director – Emory University Clinical Virology Research Laboratory
Ryan Loke: Healthcare Advisor – Office of the Governor
John Selden: General Manager – Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport
Lorri Smith: Chief Operating Officer – Office of the Governor
Toomey: MPH Commissioner – Georgia Department of Public Health
Ben Watson: MD Chair – State Senate Health & Human Services Committee
Richard Woods: State School Superintendent – Georgia Department of Education
Steve Wrigley: Chancellor – University System of Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 04:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Good to see there is focus in GA. With 2 cases in the Tampa area now it is just a matter of time before it arrives here.

Stepping up my prep in case my family and I need to stay sequestered in our home. Don’t think it will get horrible but better to be safe than sorry.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:55 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Great, more meetings for paper-pushers to try and do something "by committee". Ineffectual and a waste of resources. That's the #1 reason I got OUT of administration, felt like all of my time was spent sitting in meetings and none doing Actual work.

My wife works in a hospital, she's not concerned in the slightest. This is basically just a Slightly more aggressive Flu, with about 1% more mortality than the flu. Not exactly a big deal despite the fear mongering going on.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:52 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Great, more meetings for paper-pushers to try and do something "by committee". Ineffectual and a waste of resources. That's the #1 reason I got OUT of administration, felt like all of my time was spent sitting in meetings and none doing Actual work.

My wife works in a hospital, she's not concerned in the slightest. This is basically just a Slightly more aggressive Flu, with about 1% more mortality than the flu. Not exactly a big deal despite the fear mongering going on.
Likely and hopefully true. But you wouldn’t know it going to Costco. People clearing the shelves and pallets of water, toilet paper (?) and canned goods.

I did a run this morning and picked up a bit extra of the things I already use, just in case things run out when I really need it. That’s the biggest worry - having to stay in for a couple of weeks and not wanting to go out.

I had the flu around 11 years ago and it was miserable. 104 fever and knocked me down for a week.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:03 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

Flu = 0.1% mortality rate
Corona = 2% mortality rate (note this was after adjusting for possible unknown cases, the original mortality rate of all known cases was actually 3.4%)

In raw numbers thats twice as many people technically.

It is a strong flu but there is a slight difference as well. This one is more potent and seemingly much more deadly to those who have pre-existing lung issues, such as smokers, bronchitis, asthma, elderly or weakened immune systems. The average healthy person wouldn't be able to tell it different from a flu, but a person with weakened lung functions may be susceptible to lower respiratory infection including Pneumonia and very well could become a statistic much easier.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Foolish question. Your right to bear arms can not be taken away by an executive action. The right is guaranteed in the Constitution. Legal authorities have ruled in the past that the government can regulate certain aspects of gun ownership.

But no one is coming for your guns, although I sure wish we could outlaw private ownership of weapons of war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia