Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 08:18 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,097,502 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, what is the most overrated city in Georgia and why?

Old 07-11-2022, 09:11 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,696 times
I'd love to say Atlanta but Atlanta is basically carrying Georgia and is currently fixing its flaws.
I'm going to have to go with Augusta because they try and try to be "that city" and fail every time.

Ex: Port Royal Shopping Plaza and Condominiums- A failed project that could have been great
Calhoun Expressway is a unfinished stretch of expressway- and Gordon Highway could be a gateway into town (expressway) but it isn't

Augusta is really only good for the Masters...

Old 07-11-2022, 09:20 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
The only typically "highly rated" cities in Georgia are Atlanta and Athens. I don't think either are overrated, because they both offer what people want in a major city and a college town, respectively.

I do think there are many Atlanta suburbs that are overrated, particularly in Gwinnett County.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The only typically "highly rated" cities in Georgia are Atlanta and Athens. I don't think either are overrated, because they both offer what people want in a major city and a college town, respectively.

I do think there are many Atlanta suburbs that are overrated, particularly in Gwinnett County.
I agree about Gwinnett. I'm not sure if this place gets as much "love" as it once did, but Warner Robins is pretty overrated.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:40 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,160,062 times
Athens

Old 07-11-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
I'd love to say Atlanta but Atlanta is basically carrying Georgia and is currently fixing its flaws.
I'm going to have to go with Augusta because they try and try to be "that city" and fail every time.

Ex: Port Royal Shopping Plaza and Condominiums- A failed project that could have been great
Calhoun Expressway is a unfinished stretch of expressway- and Gordon Highway could be a gateway into town (expressway) but it isn't

Augusta is really only good for the Masters...

On C-D, I can see where you're coming from. However, in general, when it comes to Metro Atlantans, I believe Augusta, Columbus, and Macon are underrated for the simple fact that many people I meet up here speak of those places as if they're Pike County. When I tell people up here I'm from Macon they act like I grew up on a farm. I hear similar comments when people mention being from Columbus and Augusta.

Ironically enough, it's usually from people in suburbs like Conyers making these comments lol.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:15 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
On C-D, I can see where you're coming from. However, in general, when it comes to Metro Atlantans, I believe Augusta, Columbus, and Macon are underrated for the simple fact that many people I meet up here speak of those places as if they're Pike County. When I tell people up here I'm from Macon they act like I grew up on a farm. I hear similar comments when people mention being from Columbus and Augusta.

Ironically enough, it's usually from people in suburbs like Conyers making these comments lol.
I agree with you. All of Georgia's "second cities" have very positive attributes, but they're overlooked due to being overshadowed by Atlanta.

Coming from a small town as I do, Columbus and Macon feel like fairly big cities; but to an Atlantean, they're podunk.

Old 07-11-2022, 01:27 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,696 times
Quote:

I hear you on this one.

Macon and Columbus are definitely overlooked.
Both cities are on a roll right now- rebranding and opening doors for new developments.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:05 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,899 times
Quote:
I agree about Gwinnett. I'm not sure if this place gets as much "love" as it once did, but Warner Robins is pretty overrated.
I agree about Warner Robins. It does seem to appear that some of the bloom is off the WR rose!!

Old 07-13-2022, 06:23 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
I'm not entirely qualified here, as there is still a good bit of the state I haven't been to, so below is moreso some general thoughts:

Augusta - for the size of the city, I've never had a compelling reason to go?

Exurbs like Canton and Cumming - People think moving here will put them away from the "hustle and bustle," but instead I've found these places to be packed on weekends as they provide the retail for all the surrounding small towns. They seem busier than some of the first or second tier suburbs of Atlanta

Gainesville - The parts I saw were a dump!

John's Creek - not a bad place, but never understood the draw for making it an affluent area

Rome seemed UNDER-rated to me. Cute college town, close to mountains, really good sized downtown on the riverfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia