Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 02:58 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times

Advertisements

You broke the law. It is NOT total B.S. at all.

First and foremost, I don't care about the layman's view that you feel a kid should not be crossing the street there, etc...

The law is drafted with a black and white policy to fit all situations and be easily understandable. Part of the policy debate is how clear and easy it is for drivers to be taught and remember and the fact that law must be consistent.

It can carve out -some- loopholes, like opposite side of a divided highway. But if it carves out tons of loopholes where a driver may or may not be able to pass, then the law gets more and more confusing to teach, for driver's to remember, and harder for a driver to analyze the situation as they approach a stopped school bus coming around a curve or something in a different scenario.

The long and short of it is we stop for a stopped school bus, even on a divided highway, when the school bus is on the same side of the divided roadway as us.

Another problem is some kids are young. They drop things, things roll towards a road, they instinctively chase after it, etc... The bus driver has the ability to not retract the stop sign on the bus, until they see the child has moved appropriately away from the bus and the roadway and/or a parent or guardian has the opportunity to take possession of the child first. This is primarily why law guards the school bus stopping so safely, even when a child should cross a street in a particular place and why it needs to be followed.

Other random issues pop up, like safety of traffic flow. Say 2 lanes must stop, but the 3rd or 4th is allowed to continue, it could lead to an increase in accidents as it changes large amounts of driver behavior near bus stops.

Also, be careful with the excuses. How long you lived here is completely irrelevant. It has not made you understand the law any better. The fact you took driver's ed does not matter either.

It is the black and white of the law and from what I can tell you're in clear violation.

Old 01-20-2024, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,157 times
Default This Does Start To Look Like A Cash Cow

(There's no paperclip showing for attachments, probably because I just registered. Had to post dashcam pic online) https://imgur.com/a/OXLpdzr

I'm posting because a very similar situation just affected our 20-year-old son. I'm not saying he didn't break the law, as written in black and white because he did. Just like anyone who does a rolling stop at a stop sign or doesn't fully stop before turning right at a red light also violates the law as written.

I'm saying something is wrong here and needs to change. I don't even know if Cherokee buses have citation cameras. My concerns are on a larger scale.

Bells Ferry Rd near the Hwy 92 intersection is one of the busiest traffic flows between Cherokee County and Cobb County. So my first question is, why is any school bus stopping on this highway to let children on and off if everyone is so concerned about vehicles and children being in the same space and time?

Our son waited until age 20 to get his license after having a Learner's Permit for 4 years. He just took the 30-hour Joshua's Law class and had 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training with instructors, which he didn't have to do at his age. On Friday (1/12) he took the driving test with me riding shotgun. It was pouring rain. He scored a perfect 100.

Now his head is all f'd up after driving home from KSU (college) on his THIRD DAY of a commute that's less than 15 miles each way. With 4-8 lanes to contend with on this highway traveling at around 50 mph with traffic flow, he's supposed to go heavy on his brakes for a school bus that's just pulled over and stopped in a right-turn-only lane, initially with only yellow lights flashing? I watched the dashcam video.

I've been driving for 45 years, and I'm not sure I would know what to do if I were driving on this highway and a bus pulled into the right-turn-only lane with yellow lights flashing. Is it broken down? Is it turning right into that shopping center? Surely it can't be STOPPING in the middle of a right-turn-only lane, right? It's not legal for me to do that. Do I slam on my brakes and get rear-ended?

Why is ANY driver being put into a dangerous situation like this in the first place? In the video, 2 other vehicles are passing my son on the left side. They didn't know what to do either.

I will say that nothing has arrived in the mail yet. It's only been 3 days. But he's a good kid, much better than me at his age. He's a safe driver, and now I'm unsure if he will ever feel comfortable and relaxed just driving 30 miles a day. It's messed him up. If he were a crappy driver, he wouldn't care.

Anyway, this incident forced me to research what's going on here. I found that there are 2 distinct outcomes for anyone caught breaking this law, depending on HOW they are caught. If it's by a camera mounted on the school bus, this is what happens (according to https://www.violationinfo.com/GAAIS/html/info.htm posted by the city of Atlanta):

"You, as the registered owner of the vehicle described on this Citation, are alleged to have failed to stop before reaching or overtaking a school bus on a highway while the visual signals were in operation, at the place, date, and time specified on this notice. Under Georgia Code § 40-6-163, you are presumed to be the driver but such presumption may be rebutted as outlined below.

This violation carries a civil monetary penalty of $250.00.

The violation is not considered a moving traffic violation. This violation will not be made a part of your driving record and no points will be assessed nor shall it be used for any insurance purposes in the provision of motor vehicle insurance coverage.

Failure to pay the civil monetary penalty or to contest liability in a timely manner shall waive any right to contest liability and you shall be liable for a civil monetary penalty of $250.00.

TO PAY YOUR CIVIL MONETARY PENALTY:"

Then they list the click and pay, call and pay, pay at your nearest CVS Pharmacy or Walmart, and mail and pay options. NOTE that this is "not a moving traffic violation." Uh, WHAT?!?

On the other hand, if an officer with jurisdiction observes the same driver do the same thing, they can't issue a warning and must write a citation. And here's what that person is now faced with (https://www.lawofficeofscottmiller.c...georgia-.cfm):

"Criminal charges and a mandatory court appearance
Monetary fines ranging from $300 to $1,000
Imposition of 6 points on drivers license
Court-ordered community service
Compulsory defensive driving classes
Court-ordered probation
Increased insurance rates"

It's also an automatic 6-month license suspension for drivers under 21. So after all of that, what's really going on here?

1. How can this offense simultaneously be either civil or criminal? (I'm not an attorney)

2. Since the vehicle must be moving to violate this law, how can it ever be "not considered a moving traffic violation"?

3. Does it create hazardous driving conditions for a school bus to pull into a right-turn-only lane with flashing yellow lights, then stop and spring its flashing STOP arm on a major highway?

4. Am I the only one who considers it "strange" that being caught by camera means you just pay us $250, and here are all of the convenient ways to do so, including by MoneyGram? So just pay up and we won't tell anyone what you did, including your insurance company.

5. Out of the 3 vehicles in our dash video, all failed to stop, even though they all might have perfect driving records. Will all 3 receive a photo citation in the mail?

Nobody wants children to be run over, period. But I'm also no fan of drivers having to quickly apply their brakes to stop on highways with the normal traffic flow moving at 45-60 mph. There has to be a better way.

Old 01-21-2024, 12:33 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger2000 View Post
(There's no paperclip showing for attachments, probably because I just registered. Had to post dashcam pic online) https://imgur.com/a/OXLpdzr

I'm posting because a very similar situation just affected our 20-year-old son. I'm not saying he didn't break the law, as written in black and white because he did. Just like anyone who does a rolling stop at a stop sign or doesn't fully stop before turning right at a red light also violates the law as written.

I'm saying something is wrong here and needs to change. I don't even know if Cherokee buses have citation cameras. My concerns are on a larger scale.

Bells Ferry Rd near the Hwy 92 intersection is one of the busiest traffic flows between Cherokee County and Cobb County. So my first question is, why is any school bus stopping on this highway to let children on and off if everyone is so concerned about vehicles and children being in the same space and time?

Our son waited until age 20 to get his license after having a Learner's Permit for 4 years. He just took the 30-hour Joshua's Law class and had 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training with instructors, which he didn't have to do at his age. On Friday (1/12) he took the driving test with me riding shotgun. It was pouring rain. He scored a perfect 100.

Now his head is all f'd up after driving home from KSU (college) on his THIRD DAY of a commute that's less than 15 miles each way. With 4-8 lanes to contend with on this highway traveling at around 50 mph with traffic flow, he's supposed to go heavy on his brakes for a school bus that's just pulled over and stopped in a right-turn-only lane, initially with only yellow lights flashing? I watched the dashcam video.

I've been driving for 45 years, and I'm not sure I would know what to do if I were driving on this highway and a bus pulled into the right-turn-only lane with yellow lights flashing. Is it broken down? Is it turning right into that shopping center? Surely it can't be STOPPING in the middle of a right-turn-only lane, right? It's not legal for me to do that. Do I slam on my brakes and get rear-ended?

Why is ANY driver being put into a dangerous situation like this in the first place? In the video, 2 other vehicles are passing my son on the left side. They didn't know what to do either.

I will say that nothing has arrived in the mail yet. It's only been 3 days. But he's a good kid, much better than me at his age. He's a safe driver, and now I'm unsure if he will ever feel comfortable and relaxed just driving 30 miles a day. It's messed him up. If he were a crappy driver, he wouldn't care.

Anyway, this incident forced me to research what's going on here. I found that there are 2 distinct outcomes for anyone caught breaking this law, depending on HOW they are caught. If it's by a camera mounted on the school bus, this is what happens (according to https://www.violationinfo.com/GAAIS/html/info.htm posted by the city of Atlanta):

"You, as the registered owner of the vehicle described on this Citation, are alleged to have failed to stop before reaching or overtaking a school bus on a highway while the visual signals were in operation, at the place, date, and time specified on this notice. Under Georgia Code § 40-6-163, you are presumed to be the driver but such presumption may be rebutted as outlined below.

This violation carries a civil monetary penalty of $250.00.

The violation is not considered a moving traffic violation. This violation will not be made a part of your driving record and no points will be assessed nor shall it be used for any insurance purposes in the provision of motor vehicle insurance coverage.

Failure to pay the civil monetary penalty or to contest liability in a timely manner shall waive any right to contest liability and you shall be liable for a civil monetary penalty of $250.00.

TO PAY YOUR CIVIL MONETARY PENALTY:"

Then they list the click and pay, call and pay, pay at your nearest CVS Pharmacy or Walmart, and mail and pay options. NOTE that this is "not a moving traffic violation." Uh, WHAT?!?

On the other hand, if an officer with jurisdiction observes the same driver do the same thing, they can't issue a warning and must write a citation. And here's what that person is now faced with (https://www.lawofficeofscottmiller.c...georgia-.cfm):

"Criminal charges and a mandatory court appearance
Monetary fines ranging from $300 to $1,000
Imposition of 6 points on drivers license
Court-ordered community service
Compulsory defensive driving classes
Court-ordered probation
Increased insurance rates"

It's also an automatic 6-month license suspension for drivers under 21. So after all of that, what's really going on here?

1. How can this offense simultaneously be either civil or criminal? (I'm not an attorney)

2. Since the vehicle must be moving to violate this law, how can it ever be "not considered a moving traffic violation"?

3. Does it create hazardous driving conditions for a school bus to pull into a right-turn-only lane with flashing yellow lights, then stop and spring its flashing STOP arm on a major highway?

4. Am I the only one who considers it "strange" that being caught by camera means you just pay us $250, and here are all of the convenient ways to do so, including by MoneyGram? So just pay up and we won't tell anyone what you did, including your insurance company.

5. Out of the 3 vehicles in our dash video, all failed to stop, even though they all might have perfect driving records. Will all 3 receive a photo citation in the mail?

Nobody wants children to be run over, period. But I'm also no fan of drivers having to quickly apply their brakes to stop on highways with the normal traffic flow moving at 45-60 mph. There has to be a better way.
I’m not sure that the CCSD (Cherokee County School District) has a fully functioning school bus stop arm camera citation system at this time.

The last I heard, CCSD started a pilot program to put stop arm citation cameras on school buses back in February/March 2020 just days before the start of the COVID-19 Pandemic in the U.S.

Since that announcement about 4 years ago, I personally haven’t seen any more news saying that CCSD expanded the bus stop arm camera citation program to all buses in the district’s fleet.

And the CCSD school bus that you posted the dash cam photo of did not visibly appear to have a stop arm citation camera on it.

But I’m personally not 100% completely sure that the CCSD bus in the dash cam photo did not have a stop arm citation camera on it, so you potentially may want to consult a competent and knowledgeable traffic lawyer to seek further clarity about the situation.

The location where the bus was stopped in the far right-hand right-turn-only lane on a divided four-lane Bells Ferry roadway is a day care center that has after-school programs for children. So the school bus appeared to be pulled over to the side of the road in the far right-hand right-turn-only lane to drop one or more children off directly in front of the day care center for that facility’s after-school program.

As someone who personally has been driving professionally for more than a quarter of a century, I personally know and understand that these type of situations of driving up from behind on a school bus pulled over on the right side of the road with its yellow lights flashing can be challenging driving situations.

I personally often face a somewhat similar situation most days when driving to work while PK-12 schools are in session.

On my way to work everyday, I must drive through a stretch of a fairly busy undivided four-lane roadway (with narrow sidewalks right next to traffic and a 35 mph speed limit where the traffic often runs 45-50 mph) that is lined with numerous single-family homes where multiple school buses must stop in the far right lane of each direction of the undivided four-lane roadway to drop off multiple schoolchildren (including one school bus that stops to let off a group of multiple school-aged children, including a family of about 4 small children who are all siblings) during the 3pm-4pm time period on each school day.

Before those school buses put on their red flashing lights and extend their stop arms to drop off children, those school buses will stop in the far right lane of the fairly busy undivided four-lane roadway and put their flashing yellow lights on before turning on their flashing red lights and extending their stop arms.

And when I see those school buses stopped with their yellow flashing lights on, I will slow down because I am aware that there is a very high probability that those school buses are getting ready to turn on their red flashing lights and extend their stop arms to let children exit the bus.

I know that it can be challenging for many motorists to know whether or not school buses are getting ready to turn on their red flashing lights and extend their stop arms when they are stopped on the side of the road with their yellow flashing lights on… That’s particularly when a school bus may be stopped in a far right hand right-turn-only lane as was the situation you described that happened with your son.

But the best thing that a motorist can do when in those situations where they may see a school bus stopped on the side of the road (including in a far right-hand right-turn-only lane) is to slow down as soon as they see the school bus stopped with its yellow flashing lights on and assume that the school bus is getting ready to turn on its red flashing lights and extend its stop arm to let children exit the bus.

Slowing down for school buses even when their red flashing lights may not be on and slowing down for schoolchildren even when there may not be any school zone speed limit signs present is the best thing to do as a driver and appears to be what the law wants us to do as motorists.

Trust me. I know that it may not be the most convenient to slow down to a significantly slower in what seems to be a fairly short distance, but reacting to sudden obstacles unfortunately is part of the reality of driving in the real world everyday.

Hopefully your son will use this situation as a learning opportunity to know that (like it or not) he will have to be on the lookout for the sudden sight of school buses pulled over to the side of the road with their yellow and red flashing lights on in far right-hand turning lanes… That’s including in the aforementioned location on Bells Ferry Road in the front of the day care center where a school bus is very likely to be stopped in front of with its yellow and red flashing lights on each afternoon.

Please be careful and be safe and drive defensively out there.

Old 01-22-2024, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,157 times
Thank you for your perspective. We had a long and productive talk last night. He told me that he was applying his brakes (gently) when approaching the bus, and the vehicle behind him started honking its horn, further complicating the situation.

I also saw the online reports about CCSD, but could never find the pilot program results. I went a little further in the video and didn't see any camera mounted on the side of the bus either. I told him he was lucky it wasn't a Cobb County bus. Honestly, the $250 "off the record" fine is the least of my worries here. It's the dangerous driving situation that's presented by the bus that's going to result in a multi-car accident one day that might get someone killed.

Assuming that's the only bus dropping kids off at that daycare, I also told him he could drive for another year without driving by that daycare at the exact time the bus is unloading kids. But in the event he does see it in front of him and the yellow lights start flashing, I told him to just calmly put his turn signal on and turn right down the next side street. Go to the end of the street and turn around, and by the time he comes back out to Bells Ferry, the bus should be gone.

He's just about back to his normal self now. So we've effectively handled it at the family level.

I'm still uncomfortable with all of this on other levels. It's disturbing that anyone, including my son, could be criminally charged if an officer witnesses them passing the bus in this situation. A criminal record that follows them for the rest of their lives. Meanwhile, some individuals just waltz right into retail stores, grab an armful of merchandise, walk right out, and many stores don't even call the police anymore.

Plus, he was passed by 2 vehicles as they approached the bus and the lights changed from yellow to red. This is a recipe for accidents to happen. My son thought the bus was turning into the shopping center, since it was in the right-turn-only lane. When someone gets in a right or left turn-only lane, I'm less focused on them since I automatically assume they are leaving the highway. That's supposed to be what a turn-only lane means. I think those other 2 drivers mentally said, "the bus is turning and is no longer a threat" and just kept driving.

Clearly, that's not always true when a school bus uses the right-turn-only lane. I did notice that the daycare has a small white bus sitting in its parking lot. There's also plenty of room for this school bus to turn into the shopping center and let the kid(s) off there instead of on the highway.

I hope it doesn't take a major crash scene for someone to realize this is an unsafe driving condition.

Old 01-23-2024, 04:13 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Thank you for your perspective. We had a long and productive talk last night. He told me that he was applying his brakes (gently) when approaching the bus, and the vehicle behind him started honking its horn, further complicating the situation.

I also saw the online reports about CCSD, but could never find the pilot program results. I went a little further in the video and didn't see any camera mounted on the side of the bus either. I told him he was lucky it wasn't a Cobb County bus. Honestly, the $250 "off the record" fine is the least of my worries here. It's the dangerous driving situation that's presented by the bus that's going to result in a multi-car accident one day that might get someone killed.

Assuming that's the only bus dropping kids off at that daycare, I also told him he could drive for another year without driving by that daycare at the exact time the bus is unloading kids. But in the event he does see it in front of him and the yellow lights start flashing, I told him to just calmly put his turn signal on and turn right down the next side street. Go to the end of the street and turn around, and by the time he comes back out to Bells Ferry, the bus should be gone.

He's just about back to his normal self now. So we've effectively handled it at the family level.

I'm still uncomfortable with all of this on other levels. It's disturbing that anyone, including my son, could be criminally charged if an officer witnesses them passing the bus in this situation. A criminal record that follows them for the rest of their lives. Meanwhile, some individuals just waltz right into retail stores, grab an armful of merchandise, walk right out, and many stores don't even call the police anymore.

Plus, he was passed by 2 vehicles as they approached the bus and the lights changed from yellow to red. This is a recipe for accidents to happen. My son thought the bus was turning into the shopping center, since it was in the right-turn-only lane. When someone gets in a right or left turn-only lane, I'm less focused on them since I automatically assume they are leaving the highway. That's supposed to be what a turn-only lane means. I think those other 2 drivers mentally said, "the bus is turning and is no longer a threat" and just kept driving.

Clearly, that's not always true when a school bus uses the right-turn-only lane. I did notice that the daycare has a small white bus sitting in its parking lot. There's also plenty of room for this school bus to turn into the shopping center and let the kid(s) off there instead of on the highway.

I hope it doesn't take a major crash scene for someone to realize this is an unsafe driving condition.
From my roughly three decades experience of driving (including about 25+ years of driving professionally), school buses using far right-hand right-turn-only lanes for morning entrance and afternoon/evening exit school bus stops is pretty common.

Heck, not only do school buses use far right-hand right-turn-only lanes where available, but school buses may often stop to board and unboard school children in travel lanes on stretches of roadways where no far right-hand right-turn-only lane may be available. So we probably shouldn’t expect to see those challenging traffic situations to stop occurring anytime soon.

The best thing that any and every motorist (including your son) very likely can and very likely should do is to slow down to a significantly lower speed and be prepared to quickly stop if and when we see a school bus stopped with its yellow flashing lights activated on any roadway where traffic is required to stop when school bus stop arms are extended.

That’s because the reality just simply is that seeing school buses stopped with their yellow flashing lights activated (including while pulled over to the side of the road with their yellow flashing lights activated in a far right-hand right-turn-only lane) is going to be one of those many challenging situations that we as motorists are going to encounter from time to time.

Heck, seeing a school bus stopped in a far right lane with yellow flashing lights activated is going to be just one of many seemingly sudden and unexpected and surprising driving challenges and road hazards that a younger driver like your son is going to experience over the span of his entire life as a licensed driver… Seemingly sudden and unexpected and surprising driving challenges and road hazards that (like pretty much every other driver) he may not necessarily always be able to turn off a road to avoid… Which is why it is important that every motorist (including your son) learn how to drive defensively so that can learn how to attempt to better anticipate seemingly sudden, unexpected and surprising driving challenges and road hazards.

In this situation, it might help if your son volunteers to take a defensive driving course to refresh his knowledge about how he might attempt to better handle driving in real world situations where he will come across driving hazards like (but not limited to) stopped school buses with yellow flashing lights activated in far right-hand right-turn-only lanes, etc., etc.

That’s because your son is not just going to encounter those types of challenging driving situations during his current roughly 30-mile round-trip commute between his home in Cherokee County and his place of college education at Kennesaw State University, but is also going to encounter various unexpected road hazards wherever and whenever he might have to drive during his entire adult life.

Another good thing about voluntarily taking a defensive driving course is that he will get a point reduction credit certificate that he will be able to use to reduce the number of points on his Georgia driving record by seven points if needed within five years of taking the course. Your son possibly may also get the chance to reduce his automobile insurance premiums if his insurance company agrees to lower his rates after he voluntarily takes the defensive driving course.

If probably should also be mentioned that many states are revising their emergency vehicle move-over laws to require motorists to move over one lane or slow down to 10 or 20 mph below the posted speed limit for all vehicles pulled over to the side of multi-lane roads with flashing lights on, not just emergency vehicles.

Georgia has not yet revised its move-over law to require motorists to move over one lane or slow down to 20 mph below the posted speed for all vehicles with flashing lights on, not just emergency vehicles. But when Georgia very likely does do so in the not-too-distant future, school buses stopped with yellow flashing lights activated in far right-hand right-turn-only lanes on multi-lane roadways seem likely to be covered by the revised move-over law.

… Which seems to emphasize why any motorist (including your son) very likely should treat a stopped school bus with its yellow flashing lights activated in the far right-hand right-turn-only lane as an emergency vehicle with flashing lights activated on the side of the road and either move over one lane to the left on multi-lane roadways (like the aforementioned stretches of US-19/41 in Griffin and Bells Ferry Road south of GA-92 in South Cherokee County) or slow down to a speed well below the posted speed limit in anticipation of the stopped school bus likely activating its red lights and its extended stop arm for a school bus stop where children will be either entering or exiting the bus.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:13 AM

2,019 posts, read 1,311,615 times
There is another thing to talk about in this, and that is his getting rattled by someone honking at him.

As a new driver, he needs to get used to people leaning on the horn to get him to do something dumb like running a light as it's changing, or stopping before turning right on red, slowing down for a school bus, or slowing down for children, or countless other things.

You have to ignore them. They are not going to pay your ticket, and if you hit someone, they're not going to stop and take the blame. If he rear-ends you, that's his fault. And I would much rather be hit from behind than run over a pedestrian or get T-boned.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:49 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
There is another thing to talk about in this, and that is his getting rattled by someone honking at him.

As a new driver, he needs to get used to people leaning on the horn to get him to do something dumb like running a light as it's changing, or stopping before turning right on red, slowing down for a school bus, or slowing down for children, or countless other things.

You have to ignore them. They are not going to pay your ticket, and if you hit someone, they're not going to stop and take the blame. If he rear-ends you, that's his fault. And I would much rather be hit from behind than run over a pedestrian or get T-boned.
Yea it's unfortunate but you have to learn to let it go and not be pressured into doing something they're even remotely unsure about. Getting a ticket is one thing, you don't want to get into a wreck due to someone else's impatience. I've had people honk at me when I'm still making sure the coast is clear cause I couldn't see around other cars. I was not about to go because I literally could not see if traffic was coming. Still got honked at.

Flip side is true too. Some people are too nice and will try to wave you in to an open lane. That doesn't mean that no one is coming down that empty lane. You can't just blindly trust someone else saying the coast is clear.

Old 01-26-2024, 10:59 AM

15,414 posts, read 9,055,068 times
OMG are you people seriously posting pictures of yourselves blowing past school bus Stop signs and red lights, and looking for sympathy? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
What would YOU do if you were in this situation? Do you think this is B.S.? And no, don't tell me this whole camera thing is done to "protect the children". It's all just a big fat cash cow. Anyway, that's my rant for the day...
What would I do in that situation? What would I do if I see a big yellow school bus displaying a Stop sign and flashing red lights? Let me think about this a while. I'd stop.

Quote:
It should be at least a 12 month suspension for drivers of any age. If you can't stop for a school bus Stop sign and red lights, then you shouldn't be driving.

Quote:
I'm not either. But what difference does it make?

Quote:
Again what difference does that make?

Quote:
Yes it does create a hazard. But only because of self entitled drivers like you, who think you are too important to have to stop for school bus lights.

Quote:
Yes, that is strange. Your insurance company should definitely hear about this.

Quote:
I hope all three will get tickets.

Quote:
So kids not getting run over is important to you, but only if you don't have to apply your brakes quickly? If it comes down to you having to apply your brakes quickly or a kid getting run over, then the kid is just going to have to die?

For your information, school buses have flashing yellow lights that come on well before the red lights do. So you will always have plenty of time to stop. But you are just too important to have to stop for school buses aren't you?

Old 01-26-2024, 02:16 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,873,638 times
Sooo some of you can't stop as fast as a school bus stops?

If you see the bus brake lights - then apply your own brakes, no? Pretty simple.

If you're approaching a STOPPED bus - already has its lights (red) on and sign out - and ALSO you're the first vehicle - because, otherwise, you'd smash the first vehicle, right? Then it's UP TO YOU - to stop.

It's clearly NOT sudden - because you saw the bus up ahead, right? Already stopped? Red lights on? And if you didn't - why are you driving?

Old 01-30-2024, 06:20 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
School bus should not be on large highway at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia