Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,450 times

Advertisements

Currently live in a town in Arizona that is about 20 miles from the nearest anything. We have a bit of land and enjoy being far enough away from the city that it's quiet and spread out, but close enough to still enjoy convenience. I'd like to find a good area like this in Georgia. I grew up in Macon and McDonough and am somewhat familiar with major areas in GA. I'd like a nice quiet conservative town with good cost of living, but it would be nice to be at least within 20-30 miles of major retailers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 03:40 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubyj View Post
Currently live in a town in Arizona that is about 20 miles from the nearest anything. We have a bit of land and enjoy being far enough away from the city that it's quiet and spread out, but close enough to still enjoy convenience. I'd like to find a good area like this in Georgia. I grew up in Macon and McDonough and am somewhat familiar with major areas in GA. I'd like a nice quiet conservative town with good cost of living, but it would be nice to be at least within 20-30 miles of major retailers.
Checkout locations like:

> The city of Forsyth and Monroe County, which is an exurban area that is located partway between Macon and McDonough along I-75 south of Atlanta

> Northwest Georgia exurban/rural communities like Cartersville, Adairsville, Rockmart and Jasper

> North/Northeast Georgia exurban/rural communities like Dawsonville, Dahlonega, Murrayville, Clermont, Cleveland, Cornelia, Baldwin, Demorest, Clarkesville, Homer, Commerce, Jefferson, Winder and Monroe.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:46 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,163,767 times
Harris county

Old 12-14-2023, 07:44 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Head east out of the Atlanta metro on US 278; beyond exurban Covington, you'll find some classic GA towns with quaint downtowns: Social Circle (home of the soon-to-reopen Blue Willow Inn), Madison (the beautiful antebellum town that Sherman famously refused to burn), Greensboro and Union Point. At UP, veer left onto Hwy 44 to encounter another idyllic antebellum town, Washington (or Washington-Wilkes, depending on whom you ask). It's as idyllic a drive as you will find in middle GA.

https://www.bing.com/alink/link?url=...=YN203x4331309

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison,_Georgia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro,_Georgia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_Georgia

Old 12-18-2023, 02:16 PM

13,613 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Thomasville and Bainbridge in SW Georgia are very pleasant small towns within easy access of Tallahassee's amenities, though they're big enough to have their own chains and big box stores.

You're probably familiar with Milledgeville which isn't too far from Macon.

Madison is routinely voted one of the best small towns in the South, but I would imagine it's gotten fairly expensive by now.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:41 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times
Forsyth, Perry, or Gray. All 3 fit the requirements

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 1,774 times
Seeking a quiet, conservative Georgia town with affordable living and nearby major retailers, akin to Macon or McDonough. Prefer tranquility with convenience, considering places like Fayetteville, Dallas, or Canton for peaceful living near amenities

Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophig021 View Post
Seeking a quiet, conservative Georgia town with affordable living and nearby major retailers, akin to Macon or McDonough. Prefer tranquility with convenience, considering places like Fayetteville, Dallas, or Canton for peaceful living near amenities
Depending on what one’s budget is for housing, the West metro Atlanta far-outer suburb of Dallas (in Paulding County) appears to be the relatively least expensive option of the four greater metro Atlanta outer-suburban communities you named (McDonough, Fayetteville, Dallas and Canton).

The South metro Atlanta outer suburb of McDonough (in Henry County) may also provide some relatively less expensive living options. But McDonough likely may not be as quiet of an area as you might prefer as McDonough frequently experiences issues with severe traffic congestion (particularly along the I-75 corridor between the Locust Grove and I-675 interchanges) and at least occasionally experiences some crime. Less developed further outlying areas like Locust Grove or Jackson might be better areas in which to look for housing.

The South metro Atlanta outer suburb of Fayetteville (in Fayette County) potentially might also provide some relatively less expensive housing options in the northern part of the area.

The North/Northwest metro Atlanta outer suburb of Canton in Cherokee County, while comparatively noticeably less expensive than notably affluent North metro Atlanta suburban communities (like North Fulton County, South Forsyth County, East Cobb, neighboring Woodstock, and even North Gwinnett County), still has the highest housing costs of the four metro Atlanta outer-suburban communities you named because of the Canton area’s relatively close proximity to both the upscale metropolitan amenities of the greater North Atlanta metro and the very high-quality outdoor recreational amenities of the Blue Ridge Mountains and foothills region of North Georgia, Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee.

If you are unable to find anything you like in the aforementioned areas named in Henry, Fayette, Paulding and Cherokee counties, you might also consider looking in further outlying exurban areas like Hall County, Habersham County, Pickens County, Dawson County, Lumpkin County, White County, Bartow County or Monroe County.

Old Today, 07:57 AM

704 posts, read 935,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Depending on what one’s budget is for housing, the West metro Atlanta far-outer suburb of Dallas (in Paulding County) appears to be the relatively least expensive option of the four greater metro Atlanta outer-suburban communities you named (McDonough, Fayetteville, Dallas and Canton).
I was doing some research recently and noticed that the NW Corner of Georgia seemed to be the most affordable area North of ATL.

From Summerville up to Trenton over to Chatsworth and everywhere in between.

If you live in those areas, I imagine people go to Chattanooga, Dalton and Rome for their amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia