Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 04:50 PM

483 posts, read 2,094,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Need I remind you that many murders that occur, such as the spree at Virginia Tech last year, are committed with legally obtained weapons. The murder of John Lennon was committed with a legally obtained weapon and the Son of Sam in NY got his gun legally. I could catalog those types of misuse of weapons for you as well, but I'm sure you would choose to ignore that data point.
So, you're saying that a person who has no qualms about killing a bunch of people (clearly illegal last time I checked, with a death penalty attached),
will be stopped by a law making it illegal to own a weapon (maybe a small fine/30 days in jail)?

You really believe that?

I don't think you do.

And before you even say it - someone who is ready to kill but doesn't have a gun and can't buy one will just steal one from a police officer or the national guard. Or use a knife, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 04:50 AM

102 posts, read 504,320 times
As I am mostly ignorant about guns and the laws (and will be a very new resident to GA in a coupke of weeks), I have a question. With the new law, during my move to GA transporting my gun, do you have to unload it? Or are loaded guns okay during a move? Told you I was very ignorant about this but I realy do need to know. Thanks!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:08 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,400,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsthebeach View Post
As I am mostly ignorant about guns and the laws (and will be a very new resident to GA in a coupke of weeks), I have a question. With the new law, during my move to GA transporting my gun, do you have to unload it? Or are loaded guns okay during a move? Told you I was very ignorant about this but I realy do need to know. Thanks!
Technically, you're supposed to declare your firearms at the border of each state you cross, since the laws regarding carrying weapons vary from state to state. Obviously, that never happens in reality.......

Old 12-03-2008, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,344 times
The bottom line is that the shootings at Virginia Tech DID happen in a no carry zone. If students were allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus and in class as i believe they are now allowed to do in Utah state.... someone would have taken that nut job out! It's so common sense it's not even an argument. Responsible laws are already in place to prohibit weapons carry in establishments that serve alcohol. Neil is a scared liberal. There are way to many of them in this country. I like the analogy in Team America personally. You know that retard that killed those students at VT would have thought about his decision much harder had he known that there were other students carrying concealed weapons at the school. Liberals make my head hurt because they are so STUPID!!! When i served in special operations, all the people i knew were conservative and we were the ones doing the dangerous missions to keep our country safe. It's exactly like the analogy in Team America. Little did i realize how relavent and accurate that analogy was when i first saw that puppet show. I'm also 99% sure there are laws against leaving your weapon where anyone under the age of 18 can access it. That blows another of Neils arguments away.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,478,303 times
here we will be hung for even thinking doing any of the above better law in your state by far. if we had the same and the legal freedom to practice self defense without personal injury lawsuits filed muggers, our jails would be empty.
i have a dream.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-03-2008 at 10:56 AM..

Old 12-03-2008, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,344 times
I have to post one more comment. This whole topic gets me SO FIRED UP. This whole issue/argument, is one based on fear. There are many who will never own a firearm who are scared to death of them. The reality of this country is that we allow people to carry firearms to protect themselves. This should never change. I've lived in England, where there are roving gangs of teenagers who vandalize and have no fear of attacking anyone because they know that no one is carrying a gun. I recall a woman telling me that she could never vacation to America because it was much to dangerous. I pointed out how one of her neighbors front doors was attacked with an axe by a perpetrator with unknown intentions. This happened while her neighbor was home. Who knows what that person wanted to do. Without guns to protect themselves the English citizens lived in alot more fear than most of you could understand. This was also evidenced by the fact that most of the people there owned big dogs. The problem with this countries irrational fear of firearms is summed up in a popular slogan. "This country will remain the land of the free, only so long as it is the home of the brave" enough said... for now.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 PM

66 posts, read 209,063 times
I really don't mind guns. hand guns, shotguns, or bb guns. The only question i have is why the need for AK-47s or M16-A2 out on the streets assult weapons should only be used in gun shows and nothing else. Thats why this is even an issue. to many assult weapons on the streets. I like assault weapons myself but only on a rifle range or something like that.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:03 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,229,418 times
A disarmed people will not protect cowards from bullies.
A disarmed people will not protect harmless people from predators.
A disarmed people empower the criminals, in and out of government.

The only legitimate gun control = hitting what you aim at.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.
But there are 230 million automobiles, too. Approximately 35,000 died in 2008. Where is the ban on "assault autos"?
In addition, almost 50% of gun related deaths were suicides. Granted, a gun is swift, but suicidal people will use whatever will get the job done - knives, razors, drugs, jumping from tall structures.

Let's be aware that the underlying issue of a gun ban is not "protection" of innocent people - but the empowerment of those who prey on the disarmed people.

[ Interesting factoid - crime rates are worse in gun-disarmed Britain, than in "gun-happy" Switzerland, where fully automatic weapons are routinely stored at home. We would be better served emulating the Swiss, and have a fully trained and fully armed population. ]

Old 04-18-2009, 01:47 PM

66 posts, read 209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

The only legitimate gun control = hitting what you aim at.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.
But there are 230 million automobiles, too. Approximately 35,000 died in 2008. Where is the ban on "assault autos"?
In addition, almost 50% of gun related deaths were suicides. Granted, a gun is swift, but suicidal people will use whatever will get the job done - knives, razors, drugs, jumping from tall structures.

Let's be aware that the underlying issue of a gun ban is not "protection" of innocent people - but the empowerment of those who prey on the disarmed people.

[ Interesting factoid - crime rates are worse in gun-disarmed Britain, than in "gun-happy" Switzerland, where fully automatic weapons are routinely stored at home. We would be better served emulating the Swiss, and have a fully trained and fully armed population. ]
That doesn't equal to the US. think of each location's. The US has a much larger population, much larger borders, and larger threats than the swiss has. The swiss can get away with that. We have a much larger immigration pattern than the swiss. they really don't have to worry about defending themselves that often cause there's not much there to defend.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:35 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,229,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyarmonG View Post
That (Switzerland) doesn't equal to the US. think of each location's. The US has a much larger population, much larger borders, and larger threats than the swiss has. The swiss can get away with that. We have a much larger immigration pattern than the swiss. they really don't have to worry about defending themselves that often cause there's not much there to defend.
And your point is?

Back to the point that access to guns does not equate to more crime, let us revisit Switzerland.

From a site trying to end gun storage at home:
Swiss army gun law campaign (http://www.iansa.org/regions/europe/Swisscampaign.htm - broken link)
Military guns
There are about 200,000 Swiss men who undertake military service in
annual courses of 2-4 weeks. They are permitted to keep their military weapon at home. ... A further 1.5 million military guns are estimated to belong to former militiamen.
----
1.7 million "assault rifles".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland
7.5 million population

1.7 million full auto military rifles / 7.5 million population = "armed to the teeth"

BUT THIS IS THE KICKER:
Guns, Crime, and the Swiss - by Stephen P. Halbrook

" In a word, Switzerland, which is awash in guns, has substantially lower murder and robbery rates than England, where most guns are banned.

" Besides the [Swiss] militia system requiring automatic rifles and/or semiautomatic pistols to be kept in the homes of all males aged 20 to 42, firearms are readily available for purchase in gun shops. Yet firearms are rarely used in violent crime. Notes Clinard, "These facts contrast strikingly with the belief that a low criminal homicide rate is due to strict firearms regulations." Homicide is tied to a willingness to resort to violence, not the mere presence of firearms..."

Restating:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: