Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 41,928 times

Advertisements

possibly relocating in or around Ft Stewart area - Where is a great location with great schools for the average family...husband, wife, 3 kids(15,12,10), small dogs, cat. Moving from a small friendly South Carolina town to complete military career. Our children are very active in sports and extracurricular activities (ie football, baseball, basketball,soccer(girls),golf(girls), voice(girls). One of our children, age 15, would need special education, she has down syndrome, she is also involved in karate, voice and a baseball team located here called the Carolina Miracle League. We are caucasian and currently attend a baptist church. We would appreciate any information that would be helpful in making this very difficult transition. May God Bless all! SFCplus3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 05:56 PM

233 posts, read 1,226,858 times
There are great schools in Effingham County and it's close to Ft. Stewart. I don't know much about Liberty County but there is bound to be someone that can help you out if you are looking there. Our neighbor is stationed at Stewart but lives here in West Chatham. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get to Stewart from here (My husband is military and we have to go there for some medical treatments not offered at Hunter). Effingham county is nice as well, but probably a little too far of a commute.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:11 PM

40 posts, read 221,913 times
Doesn't sound like you are planning to live on post but prefer to purchase in the community. Fort Stewart has DoDDEA schools up to 6th grade I believe but the kids are bused off post after that age.

Did you know that Army Installations have School Liaison Officers who can tell you about the schools in the area? They work in the Child and Youth Services Program which is part of MWR. I would contact them and ask for information about the schools.

Here is a website for more information - http://stewartmwr.com/SLO/FSSLO.htm (broken link)

Old 03-01-2007, 09:02 PM

M Nesbett, we are really not sure at this point - what we want to do or what our options are. Not even sure which part of Ft Stewart my husband will be assigned to, he reports to the Welcome Center mid March. I have never had to do anything like this so it is all new to me. He has moved many times, but all as a single soldier. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I will be sure to contact the School Liaison Officers. We have already requested a Ft Stewart Packet and are looking forward to what it includes. Thank you so much for you help.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 14,691 times
I am seeking the same info as you, My husband is being stationed at Ft. Stewart in June and i am interested in the best schools and areas to reside in. We have 4 kids ranging in age from 9 to 17.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 12,530 times
Default schools in ft stewart area

I am also relocating to the ft stewart area, my husband should be back from overseas in march. Therefore like all of you I have been looking for things on my own.... I have found that if you go to greaterschools.net it will give you the school ratings for all of georgia or any state. I have found so far that Richmond Hill schools rank the best in the area and Richmond Hill is about 20-25 min from the base. Hope this helps

Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Default Ft Stewart area

Hello..

It has been so long since I have been on.. We did relocate in June of last year. WE decided after visiting the schools that Richmond Hill was the best place to be for our circumstances. The High School has been wonderful for our daughter who is in Special Ed. They are giving her so many more challenges than where we are originally from. All schools are very strict on the dress code. I have heard that they changed the math curriculum this year... and most students seem to be having difficulty - I know my daughter in Middle School is. We also have a son in the 5th and that school has a really great staff! We are pleased with all of the schools and their staff. The only problem we have had is with paperwork... keep copies of anything you give or send to the office-it always seems to get lost...and you get a note home saying - you did not turn it in. They also require the the long form of any birth certificates.

There are several nice neighborhoods in and around the area. IF you have any specifics - let me know and I will try to answer the best I can.

I was not pleased with the medical facilities at Stewart and therefore requested that our PCM be moved to a local facility ...it took a few weeks but we did get that approved.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:05 PM

5 posts, read 46,142 times
Default Live in Richmond Hill

I have lived in Richmond Hill for almost 7 years -- moved after 10 years in Washington Metro area. The military moved us here, and we stayed. My husband finished his committment and went to work as a GS employee at Ft. Stewart.

The opportunities for recreational sports are wonderful. My son has played everything. Right now, his is nine and plays baseball, soccer, and basketball. The schools are o'kay -- the very best for the Bryan/Chatham area. We're a little worried about how the rapid growth in Bryan will affect them long-term, but right now, we're happy. The public pre-k program was wonderful and the primary/elementary have been good. If we were going to stay long-term, though, I seriously would consider Country Day for upper grades.

Overall, the people are pleasant. We love our church -- St. Anne's Catholic, but all the churches seem wonderful. Both my children have attended the First Baptist preschool program, and I couldn't be happier with that program. Currently, my daughter is in the 2-year old class from 9-1:00 Monday through Thursday for $235.

We live in the Richmond Place subdivision, which is super convenient -- walking distance to a brand new, huge Kroger; three minutes to First Baptist and the Methodist Church (both have preschool program); 10 minutes to elementary schools (primary grades K-1, elementary grades 2-3 + pre-k, and carver grades 4-5); 4 minutes to post office; 7 minutes to local playground/park; AND less than 30 minutes to the center of Ft. Stewart! The drive is the most amazingly simple commute your husband will ever have -- straight (and I mean straight and flat) through the uninhabited part of Ft. Stewart. Stewart begins just outside the Richmond Place development. Our development is less than a mile from Route 95, too.

We likely are going to move back to D.C. soon, but I recommend Richmond Place for its totally convenient location.

Good-luck!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 PM

233 posts, read 1,226,858 times
You can also check the progress of Georgia Public Schools at Georgia Department of Education. On the right side, you can locate a school and check it's report card.

Richmond Hill is very accessible to Fort Stewart and home prices there have stayed pretty steady.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:41 PM

438 posts, read 1,359,874 times
bumping this to ask what the long form of a birth cert is? the health department here only gives out one type of birth cert, the same kind you see in baby books with kid's name, date, parents name and maybe the date of issue over top of the raised seal. We're looking at moving to Richmond Hill or Hinesville in the spring of next year when hubby gets home from Iraq so if I have to go hard core on the health department to get something they don't normally cough up, I'd like to know ASAP. We will likely continue to homeschool but if something were to come up it'd be quite the hike back to central Indiana to get paperwork or stay long enough to get the right paperwork
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia