Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 10:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,042 times

Advertisements

I an 25 and currently live in Las Vegas, NV and I am looking to move in the next 6 months. I have lived in Vegas for my entire life and need a change. I have family in a smalltown in Northern Michigan, which is why I am looking at Grand Rapids. I have looked online and through the forums, but still have a few questions that pertain to my lifestyle. I love the big city life however Vegas it to small with too many people... is this the same thing in Grand Rapids or is there room. Also, I am single and female is there a certain area you wouldn't live in? Anything else you think is important. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 01:44 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandajaclyn View Post
I an 25 and currently live in Las Vegas, NV and I am looking to move in the next 6 months. I have lived in Vegas for my entire life and need a change. I have family in a smalltown in Northern Michigan, which is why I am looking at Grand Rapids. I have looked online and through the forums, but still have a few questions that pertain to my lifestyle. I love the big city life however Vegas it to small with too many people... is this the same thing in Grand Rapids or is there room. Also, I am single and female is there a certain area you wouldn't live in? Anything else you think is important. Thanks for your input.
Pretty much the same as other larger cities, avoid the inner parts and consider the fringes or the burbs. A lot depends on income and lifestyle, which you didn't share. I live west near Walker, but eastward it becomes seedier but still viable until reaching the world of downtown businesses - a similar pattern for all such cities.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:21 AM

57 posts, read 105,316 times
Quote:
Can you please clarify what you mean by that? Is it an issue of having spacious housing, or open space for parks, or is LV just too crowded in general?

Old 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM

Las Vegas surprisingly is too crowded. It is a small valley that was never meant to hold the amount of people that not only live her, but also travel here. In a month Las Vegas has a bout 3 million visitors. Add that the 2 million people that already live here.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:44 PM

57 posts, read 105,316 times
Quote:
Las Vegas surprisingly is too crowded. It is a small valley that was never meant to hold the amount of people that not only live her, but also travel here. In a month Las Vegas has a bout 3 million visitors. Add that the 2 million people that already live here.
Well, I can tell you GR doesn't have the out-of-town visitor traffic of Las Vegas, and it is a smaller metro area (little over 1 million), so if anything, I think you'll find it quiet and sleepy compared to your hometown. Less auto traffic for sure, and downtown can get pretty bustling during big events, but it's no Strip. So you may like that.

If you want to live in the city, try the Uptown neighborhoods east of Downtown (East Hills, Midtown, Eastown) which are safe areas and have lots of twenty-something residents.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:52 PM

I really do want to live in the city or as close to it as possible. Thank you for your information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
View detailed profiles of: