Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:03 PM

72 posts, read 218,604 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm seeing some NICE homes for sale that are Victorian and Edwardian age. Many with original features intact. The prices appear to be very reasonable. Is there any problems with this area regarding crime? Are the homes all rentals, or are schools poor or something?

Roanoke over in VA had similar homes, but they were in the bad part of town generally speaking and were part of a city-wide program to renovate them. Some had 4 familes living in them, is this the same situation in GR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 01:48 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzer View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm seeing some NICE homes for sale that are Victorian and Edwardian age. Many with original features intact. The prices appear to be very reasonable. Is there any problems with this area regarding crime? Are the homes all rentals, or are schools poor or something?

Roanoke over in VA had similar homes, but they were in the bad part of town generally speaking and were part of a city-wide program to renovate them. Some had 4 familes living in them, is this the same situation in GR?
Heritage Hill (no "s" ) is a beautiful and fairly safe area. I would guess the neighborhood is about 60 - 70% owner-occupied and the rest rental (big homes split up into apartments). The prices probably seem reasonable because Grand Rapids is just an affordable area (especially compared to Virginia). We have several family friends in the Heritage Hill area and it's almost all professionals with a mix of college students (due to its proximity to GRCC and downtown). The ones with kids send them to charter schools or private schools, because the GR Public Schools are struggling (like most urban districts).

If you haven't found this site yet:

http://www.heritagehillweb.org/

..check it out. It has the history on almost all of the 1300 homes in the historic district.

A typical Heritage Hill home:

http://public.grar.com/public/addmed...st?MLS=G605008

Old 05-09-2008, 06:38 AM

4 posts, read 13,860 times
Default struggling school system?

Why is the public school system struggling? I am in Atlanta Georgia, our public school system is more concerned with test scores and attendance than bad behavior or problem kids that disrupt learning for others. My husband is interviewing for a job in grand rapids, although we are looking at Heritage Hill area. How are the public schools there?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:36 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceverett41 View Post
Why is the public school system struggling? I am in Atlanta Georgia, our public school system is more concerned with test scores and attendance than bad behavior or problem kids that disrupt learning for others. My husband is interviewing for a job in grand rapids, although we are looking at Heritage Hill area. How are the public schools there?
Lack of parent involvements in the GRPS system. The better schools are located outside of GRPS. Our kids attend Forest Hills Public schools and we are 20 minutes away from downtown. The GR area is small enough to get around compared to Atlanta.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceverett41 View Post
The urban public school systems are struggling, much like the rest of the country, including Atlanta (from what I read and from family/friends we have in about 15 different states). Much of the issues can be directly linked to poverty levels.

With that being said, the people I know who live in Heritage Hill LOVE it.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,594 times
"Lack of parent involvements in the GRPS system. "
A critical mass of solidly middle class parents even w/in the city of GR have their kids in faith-based or charter schools. The folks who would normally be the involved parents within the school district have opted out--and largely for reasons unrelated to the health of the public schools but for faith or cultural reasons.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
"Lack of parent involvements in the GRPS system. "
A critical mass of solidly middle class parents even w/in the city of GR have their kids in faith-based or charter schools. The folks who would normally be the involved parents within the school district have opted out--and largely for reasons unrelated to the health of the public schools but for faith or cultural reasons.
I disagree. Literally every family I know who lives in GR-proper is in charter, faith-based or schools-of-choice precisely because of the perceived ill health of the public schools.

I say perceived, because if your kid goes through GRPS, gets into City Middle and City High they're statistically likely to have the best standardized test scores in the entire state. The district clearly produces winners... just not as high a percentage as surrounding suburban districts.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:01 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,594 times
"Literally every family I know who lives in GR-proper is in charter, faith-based or schools-of-choice precisely because of the perceived ill health of the public schools."
And that is not at all my experience as a grad of the Calvin Christian system, or that of my extended family for whom Christian schooling is expected, nigh unto mandated by church, and who never really even look at, let alone seriously consider, the public school system.
Each one's mileage may vary, I guess . . .

Old 05-13-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
"Literally every family I know who lives in GR-proper is in charter, faith-based or schools-of-choice precisely because of the perceived ill health of the public schools."
And that is not at all my experience as a grad of the Calvin Christian system, or that of my extended family for whom Christian schooling is expected, nigh unto mandated by church, and who never really even look at, let alone seriously consider, the public school system.
Each one's mileage may vary, I guess . . .
Well yes, then your mileage might be a little skewed then. The school you attend is mandated by your church? Sounds a bit intrusive (creepy) to me.

I think the jury is still out whether you would receive a better education at a Christian school over an "average" public school, with my vote leaning toward the public school (especially since you have to pay $6000+ a year for Christian school). But you're right, YMMV.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:07 PM

713 posts, read 1,957,305 times
Forest Hills

East Grand Rapids

Northview

Grand Rapids top schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area