Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:10 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times

Advertisements

My granddaughter, ugh, I feel way to old saying that, calls me mommom. I felt WAY to young to be called grandma, so I said she can call me moms mom, turned into mommom. I have a 23 month old daughter and 25 year old daughter, so I do not want to hear GRANDMA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 06:40 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
One of my most joyful moments in life was when my first grandbaby finally said mamaw and reached out to me..I was 41 and proud to be mamaw..That was almost 26 years ago and each of the 8 times since was just as joyful to hear "mammaw" from a new grandbaby..I am looking forward to my first great grandbaby in November and I only pray that God will allow me to hear this one say "Mamaw" and reach out for me One of my grandsons got married yesterday..Before the ceremony he came by, gave me a big long hug and said "Love you, Mammaw, see you at the wedding"

Old 05-15-2008, 08:53 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,767 times
Blue that is so sweet! I hope I live long enough to see my girls reach their goals and
accept Christ as their savoir.
Hugs to you Mammaw!

Old 06-23-2008, 02:26 PM

12 posts, read 33,423 times
Our grandkids called my husband Captain Marvel or Bumpa, they call me gramma and nana, or gramma Minnesota. when my mother was still alive my sister's kids called her gramma white, for her (old) white hair, and their other gramma, gramma red, for her red (young) hair.
they certainly make life interesting to say the least, those little darlings.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:01 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,612 times
I started out as Grammy but when my granddaughter began talking, she called me Nana. So that's who I am.

My mom was supposed to be GG but my granddaughter named her Kitty because of her cat.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:45 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,809,487 times
My granddaughters called me Grandma and my first name to differentiate between me and their other grandma. One of them can't really say Grandma very well. From her it sounds more like "Greema."

Old 07-04-2008, 12:53 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,691 times
My kids call my parents Mima (Mee-ma) and Popi... it started because my oldest said Mima for grandma and it just stuck... My parents love it. My MIL loves the name MIMA and tries to get my kids to call her that (which I find utterly annoying)... she is Grandma and he is Grandpa... She sometimes tries to get the kids to call him Popi but he doesnt' do that- he likes being Grandpa... I think she does it to drive me nuts personally...

Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,676 times
My mother married someone with the same last name so all the relatives had the same last name. So we called one set Grandma and Grandpa and the other ones, Nana and Granddad.
Our grand kids call us Grandma and Grandpa. Sometimes Ganma

Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 AM

152 posts, read 651,184 times
My wife and I insist that it's Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop. Never ever ever the G word.
That might be because we both (she's my second wife) became G parents at an early age.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:34 PM

261 posts, read 954,418 times
I know you want to hear what grandkids call you, but this is what I used to call my grandparents and what my son calls my parents.

I was taught to call my maternal grandparents, Grandma and Grandpa Brown (for last name), and my paternal Grandfather was Grandpa Robertson. My paternal Grandmother remarried, so she was Grandma Pace and Grandpa Bill (dad's stepfather)

My son calls my father, Papa. It started out as Pa, but he said Papa and it stuck, and he calls my mother, Nani (nahni). We don't know where that came from. My nephew calls my parents, Grandma and Grandpa.

My inlaws are Grandpa and Grandma with all 8 grandchildren. Makes it easier. My parents only have 2 grandchildren, so to be called 2 different names isn't that confusing, except when both grandsons are with them! (11 yr age difference between them too!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents