Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 10,110 times

Advertisements

my sister in law asked me to babysit "weekly basis". She normally called in twice a week and she asked me some time from 1;30 pm to 7;30 pm. She is the same age as me and she is studying at a college and me too I am also studying at another college part time, I and my husband have no children but I have a lot to do at home. I am dealing with depression . My husband doesn't care what I am suffering… we don't even have a small talk like a normal couple for even 30 mins a day ..I am in the kitchen most of the time , sometime I do house work , but most of the time learning, working on computer , it's part of my research , plus I am struggling with depression. My sister in law is a single mother, her daughter is nearly 4 years old. As the child getting older, they are handful, have to keep an eyes on them always so I am very tired and exhausted when the child has left, and I got really angry myself. I told my sister in law that I am depressed and I and her brother relationship is not really good , but she doesn't have a consideration of what I am dealing or struggling , she keeps asking me to do babysit constantly…I have a habit , hard to say "NO" then after that I suffered and angry myself. I am an Asian, dependent..feel so down my situation … want to run away! I have no family here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by say-no View Post
my sister in law asked me to babysit "weekly basis". She normally called in twice a week and she asked me some time from 1;30 pm to 7;30 pm. She is the same age as me and she is studying at a college and me too I am also studying at another college part time, I and my husband have no children but I have a lot to do at home. I am dealing with depression . My husband doesn't care what I am suffering… we don't even have a small talk like a normal couple for even 30 mins a day ..I am in the kitchen most of the time , sometime I do house work , but most of the time learning, working on computer , it's part of my research , plus I am struggling with depression. My sister in law is a single mother, her daughter is nearly 4 years old. As the child getting older, they are handful, have to keep an eyes on them always so I am very tired and exhausted when the child has left, and I got really angry myself. I told my sister in law that I am depressed and I and her brother relationship is not really good , but she doesn't have a consideration of what I am dealing or struggling , she keeps asking me to do babysit constantly…I have a habit , hard to say "NO" then after that I suffered and angry myself. I am an Asian, dependent..feel so down my situation … want to run away! I have no family here.
Just tell you sister in law "No, I can not babysit anymore. I will give you one week to find another babysitter. Starting the week of June 6 I will not be able to babysit for you."

If it is difficult to say this in person send it in an email and stick to what you say.

Remember that "No" is a complete sentence. If your SIL calls and begs you to sit "just one more time" or "it's an emergency" just say "No".

Please look into counseling services at your college. Often they are free or at a very low cost to students.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
What Germaine said. I like this:

Remember that "No" is a complete sentence.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Find a counselor for your depression. They can also advise you how to leave your husband, who as you describe seems a bit emotionally abusive.

Your sister in law needs to be told no...and I understand in your situation, you feel you are taking on the whole family when you tell her no....Maybe spend you days at your college campus....avoid being home.....She cannot leave her child with you if you aren't there.

You might also talk to someone, even your academic counselor about your depression, they will know who to call for you...Please get some help right away, reach out...you are in America...we do things differently than your culture...there is help available and protection if you need it too. If you need it here is the National Domestic Violence Hotline link http://www.thehotline.org/ Be safe

Old 06-03-2015, 02:26 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,010,807 times
you have to say no or the situation will never change. her child it is her responsibility to find a sitter.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:27 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,010,807 times
on a side note, does she pay you? if not then you really are being taken advantage of.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
You have problems that go beyond babysitting your SIL's kids. See a therapist for your depression, and just say "I'm sorry, I can't" to your SIL.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:36 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,667,902 times
The answer is in your username!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 10,110 times
Thank you all very much of your comments and advices. I do appreciate it .
I\ve passed the difficult stage that I said, 'NO" to her. she kept contacting for different reasons on phone but I stick with my plan.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:25 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Say-No...Great, keep saying No...or just don't take her calls. I still hope that you'll talk to someone about your depression.

I have talked to a counselor in my past, I was being emotionally abused and also threatened, he would hit the side of the fridge, threaten to take our little boys across the border, various other threatening type comments any time I acted like I was gonna leave him. I spent a lot of time depressed before I got help.

My counselor helped me so much....what happens is in a relationship where you just feel like you are trying to survive, day to day....you forget what normal is. My counselor helped me get emotionally strong and then had me explore my options for leaving. I did leave, it was scary...but knowing what my choices were helped me be able to leave.

If this sounds like what you are going through, please go talk to someone. Be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents