Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,217 times

Advertisements

I am a grand parent and have noticed some behavior that I believe I can trace back to my stepson's interaction and would like some feedback to either confirm or disprove my assumptions.
My grandson and his father often engage in playing a variety of games and often become very competitive. Then the "Trash Talking" begins. Now I know that my stepson's intentions are not intended to be harmful but it is my belief that he is conditioning my grandson in such a way as to believe that Trash Talk / Back Talk is OK. I do not think he can differentiate when it is OK and when it is not. This is starting to be a bigger problem in everyday conversation. The outcome is quite a bit of arguing. Your thoughts would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:00 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Can you give examples of Trash Talk/ Back Talk?

Either way, I personally would not tolerate any kind, but I am not sure I understand the context entirely. So the two play games using Trash/Back talk and then the child takes all that and applies it in regular conversation with family members, outside of games?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:14 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcoe View Post
I am a grand parent and have noticed some behavior that I believe I can trace back to my stepson's interaction and would like some feedback to either confirm or disprove my assumptions.
My grandson and his father often engage in playing a variety of games and often become very competitive. Then the "Trash Talking" begins. Now I know that my stepson's intentions are not intended to be harmful but it is my belief that he is conditioning my grandson in such a way as to believe that Trash Talk / Back Talk is OK. I do not think he can differentiate when it is OK and when it is not. This is starting to be a bigger problem in everyday conversation. The outcome is quite a bit of arguing. Your thoughts would be appreciated
The only backtalk you can control is how he talks to YOU. My parents and grandparents didn't tolorate it and neither do I.

You can use something like..."That might be the way you and your Dad talk to each other but that's not the way I'll be talked to."

I've even used "I don't even allow my own MOTHER to talk to me this way so the same will go for you."

You didn't say how old your grandson is. Hopefully it's something that came be corrected.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:07 AM

410 posts, read 1,682,407 times
Default Possible...obnoxious adult

Today the lines of respectful behavior and freedom of expression are greatly blurred. Parents have taken on the role as their kids “buddies” not their parents.

Since we are all parenting on some level… remember … kids are just that ...kids and need to know there are boundaries. Kids will treat us the way we “allow” them to treat us or others.

As parents, we are here to guide and mentor them on their road to adulthood. A well behaved kid will have a much easier time in a work environment or society in general, then an obnoxious adult.

Would have to agree with Granny Sue... let him know you don't tolerate rude or disrespectful behavior, and his “trash talking” could be construed as disrespectful. He needs to learn their are boundries and they will be enforced. Best of success...Sunny

Old 09-24-2010, 07:17 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
I too am a grandparent (2x over) and have the same questions as others, how old and what type of trash talk? Is it trash talk or possibly you are old fashioned?

I play games with my sons and daughters and we exchange what some would consider trash talk while we play and at other times. Things are alot different now and I don't try and teach them the mores of when I was their age......

Old 12-29-2010, 10:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcoe View Post
Of course your grandson will want to be just like his daddy, that's ok..I wouldn't worry, he will also learn that this is the way he is, or can be with his dad, same as he learns that at grandmas he must behave with more manners , and understand that under your roof he must behave in a different way..teach him...children are quick, and eager to learn, and when it's for someone they love quite accomadating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents