Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:43 AM

127 posts, read 277,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
No one has a right to hate anyone who is Native of the American Continent.

Great thread!
I was born in the United States of America does that also mean im a native American?

Old 07-08-2010, 01:41 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
kendsley, there are some American Indians who would say "yes". There is a push by some to be called "American Indians" not "Native Americans". The argument is that everyone born in America is a native American.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:04 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post

Second, the conquistadors did not discover America. They explored the land and exploited & murdered the people. Just clearing that up.
So I didn't discover a quaint little bistro downtown because someone was already there eating at table 3? (for the record, I didn't murder the people I discovered there ;-)

Discover is a relative term.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 AM

It's an offensive term to most American Indians. It's like saying you "discovered" someone's living room then proceeded to murder the people there or ship them off to their own camps. I don't use the word to describe the conquering of the Americas anymore than I say Alexander the Great discovered India or Afghanistan. "Conquered" is the correct term. Say "discovered", if you like. There are many people who view the use of that term in reference to America (North & South) as a lack of knowledge or apathy about the true events that took place here.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:57 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
It's an offensive term to most American Indians.
You're probably right, but let's be honest: in this day and age, you can hardly say anything that isn't going to offend someone. It might be different if we were all Americans rather than Hyphenated Americans, but that'll have to happen first before we'll know for sure.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM

Fred, I agree with you. I do, however, try to sensitive to others. Moreover, I have studied American Indian culture and history, as well as American history, so I prefer to call things what they are. It was a conquest not a "discovery" like the moon landing (using ABQ's definition).

Old 07-08-2010, 02:22 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
They still discovered America, which lead to all the conquering and killing and stuff. Many of the Indian tribes were not innocent either. They conquered, killed and enslaved other tribes. The Europeans just did it better/worse than they did.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM

I suppose Alexander the Great discovered Afghanistan. Better change the textbooks. The American Indians, according to eyewitnesses including Columbus himself, welcomed the Spanish and aided them until they were unexpectedly ambushed. The OP didn't ask about discovery v. conquest, however. It's embarrassing and enraging that European Americans justify the rape, murder, & torture of the Indians in the 16th & 17th centuries with inaccurate arguments, but that's the topic for a new thread.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:12 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
Alexander the Great already knew where the countries were that he was attacking. The discovering part is not knowing where something is. If I didn't know where my keys were and discovered them in the couch, that's different than having a map to show me that my keys are on the key ring and knowing that they'd be there.

Anyway, our country has America in the name, United States of America. I'm not aware of any other country in North or South America that has America in its name. We are using an abbreviated form by pulling from our official name. Other countries can also call themselves North, Central or South American.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
It's an offensive term to most American Indians. It's like saying you "discovered" someone's living room then proceeded to murder the people there or ship them off to their own camps. I don't use the word to describe the conquering of the Americas anymore than I say Alexander the Great discovered India or Afghanistan. "Conquered" is the correct term. Say "discovered", if you like. There are many people who view the use of that term in reference to America (North & South) as a lack of knowledge or apathy about the true events that took place here.
I am sure that when southerner went to england in WWII some were offended to be called yank. Butt ehy got iover and so should the Indians. Its much about nothing when epopel don;t have something else to gripe about;IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates