Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,792,265 times

Advertisements

I've actually never heard of the website "ChinaSMACK" before... Some very interesting content, including a piece about encouraging women to pee while standing in an effort to save water.

With regard to boiling cats: Morals are not universally identical and what is "morally right" is often heavily influenced by the surrounding culture. While it may not seem right to you, there may not be any moral hang-up whatsoever in traditional Chinese culture. I don't think you can attack the practice of boiling cats alive for food based on morality.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:32 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,688,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I've actually never heard of the website "ChinaSMACK" before... Some very interesting content, including a piece about encouraging women to pee while standing in an effort to save water.

With regard to boiling cats: Morals are not universally identical and what is "morally right" is often heavily influenced by the surrounding culture. While it may not seem right to you, there may not be any moral hang-up whatsoever in traditional Chinese culture. I don't think you can attack the practice of boiling cats alive for food based on morality.
Have to agree with jimbo on this one. Morality is subjective and highly influenced by culture. When I was in Korea I was served octopus tentacles that were snipped off the baby octopus while it was alive. The tentacles in the dish were still squirming when they were placed in front of me. Yes, I ate them, and they were delicious. The barbecued dog was also delectable. Different cultures, different mores.

That said, I wouldn't boil a cat alive, and I would have trouble snipping off a live octopus' tentacles.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Have to agree with jimbo on this one. Morality is subjective and highly influenced by culture. When I was in Korea I was served octopus tentacles that were snipped off the baby octopus while it was alive. The tentacles in the dish were still squirming when they were placed in front of me. Yes, I ate them, and they were delicious. The barbecued dog was also delectable. Different cultures, different mores.
Here's a deep question: Is it morally wrong to snip off an octopus' tentacles if they grow back?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Here's a deep question: Is it morally wrong to snip off an octopus' tentacles if they grow back?
Well...gee. Damn you for posing a question I'd never thought about yet! I shall now retreat in abjectly utter defeat from this conversation, and contemplate my navel in despair.

Last edited by Mercury Cougar; 10-14-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 01:53 PM

32,947 posts, read 36,405,132 times
It seems that the boiling isn't the worst part.

"The more suffering, the better the taste...."

No cat chow for me.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It seems that the boiling isn't the worst part.

"The more suffering, the better the taste...."

No cat chow for me.
To be quite frank, I seriously doubt that the application of the most humane slaughter method ever devised would have the slightest impact on my perception of a cat's level of edibility (or lack thereof).

Old 10-14-2010, 02:40 PM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
And what about lobster??? - because that's how they cook them in restaurants. American restaurants too...
Any moral problems here?

Oh, don't forget about eating oysters alive...

Old 10-14-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
And what about lobster??? - because that's how they cook them in restaurants. American restaurants too...
Any moral problems here?
Actually a lot of places humanely kill them just before dunking them. But yeah, you have a point.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,464,555 times
I love lobster. I have no problem dropping them into a hot boiling cauldron of water.

My kitchen is where lobsters come to die. I'm the lobster executioner.

I have a double standard that doesn't extend to housecats.

#1. The Chinese believe that anything with its back to the sky is edible.

#2. Our culture says we don't eat cats here in the USA but I have no control over what they eat in China.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Any moral problems here?

Oh, don't forget about eating oysters alive...
Here's an article about a study on the capacity of hermit crabs to feel pain.

Crabs 'feel and remember pain' suggests new study - CNN.com

It still requires some induction to reach a conclusion and does not at all directly address whether or not boiling is more or less humane than another slaughter method for crustaceans, but I think that the method of testing is actually pretty clever.

I personally think that trying to kill a lobster with a knife before boiling is unlikely to be any less painful for the bug. If you want to put them in the freezer before hand to numb them, fine, but being submerged in boiling water snuffs a crab/crawfish/shrimp/lobster quickly.

I wonder what's at the end of that path...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.