Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 01:40 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,698 times

Advertisements

I was doing some research on some things and most of what I looked at broke off and led into some other areas for me to "test."

Firstly most people are led to believe that early African slavery was identical to early European/New World type slavery. That's false: Slavery Within Africa & Prince Abdul Rahman: African Prince, American Slave (use that one too to counter the claim that slaves were "dumb, no IQ, etc.")

I also checked this out: When the Moors Ruled Europe. Clearly, Spain tried to cleanse/rewrite & repackage their past history. I already knew about some of that stuff but that does make me wonder why you'd classify them as: Arabs, Berbers, & Moors...I read somewhere that the Arabs spoke in a way that differentiated between 1)themselves from the other two names and 2)spoke in a way that distinguished the Berbers and the Moors. The Almoravids were Black (so were/are the Tuareg people) but they repackage another name for them.

Right now, I'm looking into this, Moors Sundry Act of 1790...
This (http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=233908651415&topic=12037 - broken link) also makes me curious about this MSA of 1790.

If anyone can provide any information on the Moors Sundry Act, please let me know because their seems to be some loose ends with this thing.

Anyway, let's hear the popular revisionist history, what really happened and the reason the history had been revised. It interesting to me.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-01-2011 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,698 times
^^^I meant to say that "It's interesting to me."

Old 05-04-2011, 04:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
I got a kick out of how the History Channel went to great lengths to insert black people into every epoch of history in their big documentary "America-the Story of US" (or did prior histories try to hide african-american involvement in history?)...

The reason is because history is for the living, and people will always interpret history in comparison to their current epoch. In the History channel documentary, the obvious reason was to make blacks feel as if they had a part to play and and a stake in the country itself (as they should, BTW), though it was done in a almost insultingly crude and "politically correct" way.

We can't really see what it was like in past eras without having actually lived through it, and the context will inevitably be different, because we approach it from a different perspective, and everyone that lived through it experienced a different perspective too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates