Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:59 AM

168 posts, read 308,002 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever thought about how rare AIDS and STD's would be if we still held sex as something sacred and intimate? I'm not pushing religion in this. I'm in reference to the 60's and the sexual revolution, free love, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:06 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
I think there is a happy medium to be reached between free love, and sacred.

One can be free with their love, but exercise a certain level of responsibility too. There are many girls I have known for a long time who I would happily share free love with. And since I know them that well I know the chances of getting infections from them are a lot lower as I know them to be healthy and to have been for some time. No guarantee of course, but it makes a massive difference in odds.

It is the kind of “free love” of jumping into bed with someone you just met, you know nothing about… that is the issue. Sex is a powerful thing on many levels, and some level of responsibility, if not restraint, would be highly beneficial.

Coupled of course with the fact prostitution is an underground industry with no regulation and hence no Standards Board performing periodic tests on the prostitutes. After all if there were 100 prostitutes to choose from, and 50 of them were holders of a license that one has to be tested in order to obtain and renew… I know which 50% most guys are going to choose their product from.

However do remember that there are other ways things like HIV/AIDS are transmitted and sex is not the only one. The drug culture also have a massively significant % to answer for, as have many horrific gaffs in blood transfusion services etc. Piling all the guilt on sex is a little unfair.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:26 PM

168 posts, read 308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I think there is a happy medium to be reached between free love, and sacred.

One can be free with their love, but exercise a certain level of responsibility too. There are many girls I have known for a long time who I would happily share free love with. And since I know them that well I know the chances of getting infections from them are a lot lower as I know them to be healthy and to have been for some time. No guarantee of course, but it makes a massive difference in odds.

It is the kind of “free love” of jumping into bed with someone you just met, you know nothing about… that is the issue. Sex is a powerful thing on many levels, and some level of responsibility, if not restraint, would be highly beneficial.

Coupled of course with the fact prostitution is an underground industry with no regulation and hence no Standards Board performing periodic tests on the prostitutes. After all if there were 100 prostitutes to choose from, and 50 of them were holders of a license that one has to be tested in order to obtain and renew… I know which 50% most guys are going to choose their product from.

However do remember that there are other ways things like HIV/AIDS are transmitted and sex is not the only one. The drug culture also have a massively significant % to answer for, as have many horrific gaffs in blood transfusion services etc. Piling all the guilt on sex is a little unfair.

not really. how many people are irresponsible with sex that are ALSO irresponsible with needles? very few. granted, drugs are bad, but thats a whole different thread. so, if people were responsible with sex then even with the needle issue you still end up with a huge reduction in diseases. which would greatly reduce the cost of caring for the degenerates that expect us to take care of them since they poked everything that moved instead of working to save for later on in life. its a little raw, but its true.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
Has anyone ever thought about how rare AIDS and STD's would be if we still held sex as something sacred and intimate? I'm not pushing religion in this. I'm in reference to the 60's and the sexual revolution, free love, etc.
Yes, I've thought of it. There's really no question that when monogamy is widespread, the rate of AIDS & STDs will drop dramatically.

How to get there is trickier. For those who aren't religious, probably the best apporach is to point out that those who have lots of sex partners aren't happier as a result. Psychologists who study happiness have found this out.

......if sex makes us happy then surely, if variety really is the spice of life, having more sexual partners must make us happier. Well it doesn’t. People with more sexual partners are less happy than those who have just one.
People who cheat in marriage (10% of the married people in the sample have had sex with more than one person in the previous year) are less happy.

Does Sleeping Around Make People Happier? | Dollars and Sex | Big Think

Old 03-19-2011, 02:33 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,428 times
I've researched sex quite extensively and multiple partners too.

I have found that one is most happy when one as actually engaged in the act.

The other 99.9% of the time is spent worrying about disease, pregnancy, having enough money for wine, getting the names right and who will show up at the door at a "bad time".

Old 03-19-2011, 02:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
It is interesting that nature has created diseases as a way to discourage promiscuity (if you are smart enough to figure it out). I guess it's a "survival of the fittest" type of thing, in terms of a person's mentality.

Dumb people would die out under the scenario of just being promiscuous and they would never even realize what happened . . .

Teach people to have dignity and self-control. There are more important things than "getting off" and you can do that alone without risk of disease.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-19-2011 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 05:49 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
It's perfectly doable to have multiple partner and still practice safe sex. It's called condoms.

And STD's were very much around in previous decades, and are well documented both in literature and historical works. Sexual "frugality" wasn't really promoted until Christianity and to an extent Islam, became the two major religious views, in ancient Rome for instance, sexual encounters both homosexual and heterosexual was completely normal. If STD's existed as a form of Darwinian "weed out" we'd surely be extinct by now.

If the main purpose isn't religious views etc (as the OP has made clear it isn't), then promoting safe sex if far more fruitful than promoting life partner monogamy. It's proven time and time again that the use of condoms dramatically drops the numbers of both unwanted pregnancies as well as transmittance of STD's, so why not focus and that and accept that several partners either after one another or at the same time is something that not every one frowns upon.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Because it damages the spirit to indiscriminately "hook-up," condoms or no condoms.

There is no need to get naked with everyone in the world.

Some indiscriminate people have sex in bathrooms. Are you telling me that is healthy and good?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:00 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Because it damages the spirit to indiscriminately "hook-up," condoms or no condoms.

There is no need to get naked with everyone in the world.

Some indiscriminate people have sex in bathrooms. Are you telling me that is healthy and good?
I know plenty of people who's had multiple partners without being damaged physically nor "in spirit" (or psychologically, which is a better term). There's also no concrete studies that directly shows that multiple partners is directly harmful to mental health.

An otherwise mentally healthy person who indulges in sexual "hook ups" with more than one partner in a life time does not need to be damaged by that action.

That information does not negate the fact that people with mental health issues, often specifically related to bad sexual experiences of poor self image might be more inclined to indulge in what, for them, would be unhealthy sexual activity, but what is sexually "healthy" is not universal, it varies from person to person, depending on a number of factors.

With that said, it's generally accepted in any developed country, part from the US, that most adult individuals will have had more than one sexual partner in their lifetime, and the great majority of those people will have no mental or physical damage from such encounter, whether it be several serious partner of purely sexual partners.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:01 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
There is a difference between having sex with people you meet in the bathroom and having several partners over your lifetime. I don't believe abstinence is going to be a valid answer most of the time. Safe sex is a necessity.

And it's not just promiscuous people who get AIDS or STD's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates