Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:41 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,039 times

Advertisements

I was looking for something very warm to wear and saw an article online that on Chinese farms, they pluck the wool out of bunnies as they scream. If I was rich, I would put this on tv all over the world. I think it's horrible. I think people should compromise and help each other (animals vs people) without being so cruel. I think there is a better method of doing this, but it's a "better" wool if you do it this way, so people go for what's best for them without compromise and without compassion.

Boy, our society is still so barbaric. I hate everything insensitive and cruel and barbaric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 03:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
While I certainly don't condone animal torture, to describe the practice of pulling angora fur as 'skinning alive' is very misleading.

That animal handling in Chinese factories does not give high priority to the comfort of the animal does not surprise me.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
Buy American made angora. I met a lady at a street market that makes angora yarn by hand. She starts with brushing the rabbits, which she had there at the market and they seemed to love it. Then spins the thread with an old foot peddled spinning wheel.
Those were some fat and happy bunnies.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
While I certainly don't condone animal torture, to describe the practice of pulling angora fur as 'skinning alive' is very misleading.

That animal handling in Chinese factories does not give high priority to the comfort of the animal does not surprise me.

Ok, I guess it's more like pulling your hairs out... Kind of like waxing... Come to think of it, wow, some people actually do that to themselves. But then some people voluntarily cause themselves pain during some dark sex fantasies. So maybe they are the ones who don't get it that others don't like to be tortured.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
There's always cruelty in society LoveWisdom..some people will harvest the angora in a kind humane way, others will be intentionally cruel...it's the same with the way chickens are raised...or cattle. You wouldn't want to eat the meat if you saw the hell some of them go through just staying alive... ....Main thing to know is that we're not all mean, and hurtful...some of us can be compassionate and try not to cause pain, especially to an animal that can't speak for itself.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
There's always cruelty in society LoveWisdom..some people will harvest the angora in a kind humane way, others will be intentionally cruel...it's the same with the way chickens are raised...or cattle. You wouldn't want to eat the meat if you saw the hell some of them go through just staying alive... ....Main thing to know is that we're not all mean, and hurtful...some of us can be compassionate and try not to cause pain, especially to an animal that can't speak for itself.
You're right, I shouldn't generalize. I guess I was more thinking of the general rules which guide society rather than individual good nice people. But yes, there are plenty of good ones.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:20 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
I'm not big on societal rules myself...seems there's almost always someone who's corrupt that benefits from them, more than the general public...I only go along with them when I have no other choice.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:32 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
Angora rabbits are generally plucked to harvest their "wool". I've done it myself, and the rabbit sat on a table in front of me and just enjoyed it. Believe me, if he didn't like it, he would have attempted escape. There was no restraint (the table was in the bunny enclosure). There was no screaming, though I might have been cooing at the sweet bunny.

Here's a PDF on angora harvesting from the National Angora Rabbit Breeders.

Quote:
After having achieved good grooming habits, you now have a beautiful coat on your rabbit and it is ripe to be harvested by either plucking,(pulling the fibers out), which doesn't hurt the rabbit if you're not over zealous. You may wish to shear or cut to remove the coat. If you cut be careful that you don't cut the bunny. The skin is loose and when you pull the wool up to cut you may accidentally cut the skin.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:52 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Fur can be plucked off of the rabbit.

How to Harvest Wool From an Angora Rabbit - YouTube

Old 11-30-2013, 10:16 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,557 times
Only in asia.. I hope. They do the same for fur animals, they don't care to kill animals, they skin them alive . Either they enjoy of torturing or are deaf and blind. There is lot of videos on youtube. How cruel a human being is able to be?

They do have rules to kill animals first but they don't. Also they beat dogs to death because they believe stress meat is better .

Some angora producers just takes a wool by cutting wool few times a year and they don't kill bunnies because of it.

I am glad h&m cutted buying angora from this kind of farms.

Maybe there is good farms too but bad are in the news again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates