Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:51 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Side_TX View Post
O give me a break... I lived in Germany for 3 years. while I loved my time there, it's not some perfect paradise... It has its own problems. Would you like to compare the land size/Population of Germany vs the US? Apples and Oranges my friend.

I've lived/visited more places around the world then most people will in a lifetime. Have those travels moved me away from my spot on the right? No.. They have in fact reconfirmed my beliefs and principals. Like you stated travel abroad may open your eyes. But for the most part it's not going to cause you to do a complete reverse of one's views.

You like many on the left have this great romantic view of life in Europe and how perfect it is please... What happens if/When that house of cards falls. Look what's happening when certain countries "god forbid" try to get their budgets in order and cut certain programs. They citizens lose it.

But in the end I respect your viewpoint, even though it's totally opposite of my own. Isn't America great?

I'll just leave with this quote
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Can't recall anyone mentioning that Europe is perfect.
I prefer to get info from people who travel to other countries for personal interest rather than one who is sent to other countries via the US military.
Such experiences can be enriching and pleasant, but it's nothing like blending in among the natives.
I lived in Germany for 18 years...I worked for German companies and was paid in German currency, plus I received the usual for German workers; 5 weeks annual vacation and health insurance.
But, like I wrote in an earlier post: America has more blinking, flashing neon lights than any other nation. Enjoy them!

Old 07-23-2011, 03:50 PM

380 posts, read 962,059 times
Zip Codes! In the market I operate within (the south Caribbean). People love the fact we have zip codes. Makes mailing/shipping/locating that much easier!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,581 times
The Columbia River.
Multnomah Falls.
Larch Mountain.
Mt. Hood.
My Family.
My Children.
Seattle's Farmers Market.
The Deschuets River,
Troutdale Park.
The Cove.
Depot Bay.

Iron Gray skies with moisture in the air and dew on the ferns in forests that look like you stepped back a thousand years in time.

There is a lot of good things about this country.
There is even a lot of good people in this country.

Just a bunch of crooks stealing out from underneath us.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:17 PM

15 posts, read 15,889 times
I can explain what I believe is positive about the U.S. For the first time in the world (this started probably close to the 50s, and spread to Europe shortly) civilization has defeated material poverty. The very lowest class of America would be considered extraordinarily wealthy at any other point in history. I have a friend who works at a pizza place and lives on just over minimum wage (it's not even a real pizza place; they give you a take home and bake pizza). I enjoy playing Xbox360 with him at his house and seeing movies on the weekends and going to bars on weekdays. He's as poor as anyone yet easily affords what almost seems like a life of luxury. In Europe and other first world countries this is the case, but still, in most of the world, most people struggle on a daily basis. That's what I love about America. I have a much longer list of hates though.

I hate patriotism. I hate the military industrial complex (I love the military, I love industry, I just think Military needs to be socialized). I hate the Commodities Future Trading Index. I hate the Wall Street scum who got us into this economic mess and got away with it. I hate people who make obscene amounts of money for the sole purposes of making obscene amounts of money. There are a lot more things I hate about America, but the fact that we've extended basic human rights to everyone of our citizens and the fact that no one is really poor in a traditional sense makes more than up for any of my hates. I love my country, but not because of the circular patriotism logic that I should love my country because I was born here. I'm just not that special.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Is there anything positive about the U.S.?

That the country has ONE standard language. I have been in several countries where hundreds of languages are spoken, W. Africa is rife with tribal languages, Nigeria alone has at least 250 separate and distinct local languages, but, they were smart enough, when they demanded independence, to choose one European language as their national one, English. In the Cross River State of Nigeria alone Efik, Ibo, Ibibio, Hausa, and Yoruba were common languages, but...everyone (well, there were a few exceptions..." Eh-Bom " for example) spoke English, usually with a British Accent.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:56 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times
As an American who has traveled extensively I can say that the OP's view of America is colored by the press. Newsflash: the press report bad news because its news.

Universal health care and spending too much on the military are probably our biggest weak points. If we spent half what we spend on the military and put it to research or UHC or better schools, we'd be on top.

I will say that the US is probably one of the most integrated and tolerant and accepting of other cultures in the world. The UK and Canada are probably up there with the US. I've been to China and been called a "gwai-lo" (white devil), my in-laws at first demanded that my wife date another Japanese man (they eventually came around), I've been to France and been sneered as "l'Americain", and been called a gringo in my very own back yard. The rest of the world is incredibly racist and intolerant and closed minded. For all the high-profile racism and issues of the past, we went from near the bottom, to near the top in one generation.

To me that speaks of many of the virtues of being an American:

- Accepting that, in the end, we're all human (helps that we're a nation of immigrants, except the native Americans)
- The faith in the ability to work hard and make a living no matter who you are
- That drive which defines us as a people, faith in our own power, which is why it is so sad to see people lose that especially in these hard times
- Despite having a failed lower educational system, we still produce the more original minds in the world (we haven't fallen really, the rest of the world is simply catching up) and we still attract the creme de la creme of the world.

Simply put, it's the people. Not the crumbling infrastructure, not the idiotic politicians, not the evil greedy corporations, and not the crime ridden cities. It's funny that last one, if people actually put down a front they have and welcomed more people in they'd find that a lot of people have the same values, it's just unfortunate that sometimes your success depends on where you start, and there's a lot of impressionable youths out there who think gangs are a great substitute for family. I remember tutoring inner city troubled kids and seeing the look on their faces that "WOW! SOmeone cares!" and "I GET THIS!" after explaining a math concept to them, or tutoring their parents, many of whom didn't understand simple division, thank me for giving them a second chance and the drive to learn more. It can be done.

And maybe that is the final thing that I admire about us Americans - perseverance. Where other peoples give up and accept defeat, we fight on to the end. We can see it in sports matches, and we see it in war, and we see it in our politicians (a little too much, but hey, comes with the territory I guess).

Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaCrates View Post
I hate patriotism.
Then what are you loyal to? The human race? Globalism and the UN? Gaia? Just what exactly is wrong with being patriotic towards America, in your opinion?

Quote:
I hate the military industrial complex (I love the military, I love industry, I just think Military needs to be socialized).
Oh no. Not the 'military industrial complex' rhetoric again. Watch out with using this played-out buzzword. Sounds like tin-foil hat conspiracy theorist crap after a while. And what exactly does it mean to socialize the military?

Quote:
I hate the Commodities Future Trading Index.
You hate free market capitalism too? What do you propose as an alternative?

Quote:
I hate the Wall Street scum who got us into this economic mess and got away with it.
Who enabled the fiasco? Hint: It wasn't wall street scum. Could it be the repeal of Glass-Steagall by Gramm-Leach-Bailey, signed into law by Clintoon? There's bipartisanship at work folks.

Quote:
I hate people who make obscene amounts of money for the sole purposes of making obscene amounts of money.
What damn business is it of yours what amount of money anyone makes? Who the hell are you to decide what is obscene, and begrudge anyone from making any amount of money they want, provided it is done legally?

Quote:
There are a lot more things I hate about America, but the fact that we've extended basic human rights to everyone of our citizens and the fact that no one is really poor in a traditional sense makes more than up for any of my hates.

Quote:
I love my country, but not because of the circular patriotism logic that I should love my country because I was born here. I'm just not that special.
I guess I am just a stupid jingoistic hick for being patriotic and a proud, anti-globalist, American nationalist.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:16 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
I guess I am just a stupid jingoistic hick for being patriotic and a proud, anti-globalist, American nationalist.

Could not have said it better myself...however I have a few other adjectives that describe you to a T

Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Could not have said it better myself...however I have a few other adjectives that describe you to a T
Would those adjectives involve me dominating you on the Houston forum and totally dismantling your commie arguments?

Instead of adding something substantive to a debate, you always seem to devolve into making incoherent, thumbsucking twit comments. Not to mention the ad hominems, red herrings, straw men, and appeals to authority, among others.

Run along now, authoritarian. The grown ups are trying to have a real discussion.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 9,344 times
I, now, live in Europe, and used to live in Boston. Believe me, here all engineers want to go and work in the USA, but at the same time they speak badly about The US. This is something crazy. Now, I am going to The US for work, and everyone here is crazy about it.

In my opinion US offers the best opportunity for those who like to work and are able to accomplish their goals. For lazy people who want to live on a low income job with free health care, with lost of racism and with plenty of free time, Europe is your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates