Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times

Advertisements

I posted this question in another forum (Unemployment) because it deals with unemployment but the mod felt it was controversial or unacceptable so it was closed or deleted. I don't really understand why but I respect that mods decision.

I have an honest question regarding filing unemployment that I would like to hear feedback about and so perhaps Great Debates is a better place for this?

Here's the question: If a person is hired-on as a temporary seasonal employee, with full knowledge that their job will end at a certain time, is it OK for them to apply for unemployment benefits once the job ends?

I'm asking this because I don't really understand how that all works, when the job is known in advance by the employer and employee that it will end at a known time.

Also - I am wondering where the money comes from... does the employer/company write the unemployment checks or does it come from the government or ? I don't have any experience or knowledge (obviously ) regarding filing unemployment so I would love to hear from those who do have experience with the system. Do companies encourage or like their ex-employees to collect unemployment - does it help them in some way - or do they frown upon it? How do future employers or potential employers see it? Do they even see it?

Thanks in advance and also, please if you don't have anything kind to say just don't bother wasting your time in responding. I realize this might be for whatever reason a controversial topic. Whenever I have brought it up it seems to touch some people's nerve or rub them the wrong way. (If someone could explain why that happens, too, I'd appreciate it.) That is why I am asking it here and not talking to my boss or coworkers about it! I don't want to ruffle any feathers I just want to wrap my mind around the whole thing and try to understand it better.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 05:27 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I posted this question in another forum (Unemployment) because it deals with unemployment but the mod felt it was controversial or unacceptable so it was closed or deleted. I don't really understand why but I respect that mods decision.

I have an honest question regarding filing unemployment that I would like to hear feedback about and so perhaps Great Debates is a better place for this?

Here's the question: If a person is hired-on as a temporary seasonal employee, with full knowledge that their job will end at a certain time, is it OK for them to apply for unemployment benefits once the job ends?

I'm asking this because I don't really understand how that all works, when the job is known in advance by the employer and employee that it will end at a known time.

Also - I am wondering where the money comes from... does the employer/company write the unemployment checks or does it come from the government or ? I don't have any experience or knowledge (obviously ) regarding filing unemployment so I would love to hear from those who do have experience with the system. Do companies encourage or like their ex-employees to collect unemployment - does it help them in some way - or do they frown upon it? How do future employers or potential employers see it? Do they even see it?

Thanks in advance and also, please if you don't have anything kind to say just don't bother wasting your time in responding. I realize this might be for whatever reason a controversial topic. Whenever I have brought it up it seems to touch some people's nerve or rub them the wrong way. (If someone could explain why that happens, too, I'd appreciate it.) That is why I am asking it here and not talking to my boss or coworkers about it! I don't want to ruffle any feathers I just want to wrap my mind around the whole thing and try to understand it better.

Thanks!
There are people who only work seasonally on purpose and happily 'vacation' on unemployment benefits the rest of the year.
It's legal. The ethical part is up to everyone to decide for themselves.
Employers have to pay for UI and the cost rises when an employee(s) is getting benefits and, of course, the employer gets no work done for that outlay.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 AM

220 posts, read 453,876 times
Whenever you're unemployed, file for unemployment. Even union workers who are in between jobs or factory workers laid off while a factory is reconfigured for a new product file for unemployment. Worst case scenario they deny your application and give you a reason why.

Every company pays so much into unemployment, there used to be a cap so once they reached it they didn't have to pay anymore into their "account" (so to speak) until they let someone go and the person drew unemployment out of the account. It was a minor incentive to keep employee's on but the company isn't covering the entire unemployment check or anything near it.

With all the extensions and everything else they've had to unemployment in more recent times they've basically eliminated the cap so the companies who didn't lay anyone off or fire anyone over the past 5 years are being penalized, mainly the small businesses our politicians keep claiming to help because they are the foundation of our country.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times
Directed towards the OP…

Yes this is legit.

I have a good example.

Back in the day when I was teaching for Head Start, there were several programs in place, one was a F/T center meaning year round and the second option was a Part-Day program that only operated in 2 shifts and 9 months.
The employees whom decided to participate in a Part-Day program that for 3 months out of the year they would be “laid-off” so to speak however would return after the time was up.
These teachers chose to collect unemployment for 3 months even though it was a hassle to get all the paperwork or call in, wait for an interview date and then wait 1-2 weeks for unemployment to kick in.

HERE IN CALIFORNIA there are two sections in which to apply for unemployment 1. Is termination 2. Laid off.

The monies do come from employers but also your work history counts as well, say you worked for various jobs in the past but are just now applying for unemployment, THE EDD will look at your highest paying job and pay you 75% of that, this has been my experience.

But it is legal to do this.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:45 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
School Bus drivers in some areas can get unemployment for the summer months.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:34 PM

This is all very interesting! I had no idea that this was an OK (legally) thing to do. Now I am trying to decide if it is something I should do, since my current job is a seasonal one.

Will future employers look down upon applicants who have collected unemployment in the past?

Does collecting unemployment "burn bridges" with previous employers?

Also - I was under the impression that you had to prove that you were looking for work while on unemployment - is this true? How do those on unemployment prove that they are actually looking for work? (Especially curious about those who use the seasonal jobs so that they can then use unemployment as pseudo-vacation time in-between seasonal jobs (i.e. old-cold's reply)?)

I repped you all and do appreciate your responses.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:52 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,069 times
We had a construction company and when our guys got laid off during the winter they would draw. Here it goes by how much a person has made in the last year, regardless of how many or how few jobs you may have had. You have to have earnings in at least 3 of the last 4 quarters, and the amount you qualify for is determined by how much you made in the last year.

I would think the qualifications are the same everywhere, but the amount you receive does vary from state to state.

Last edited by Mayiask; 10-20-2012 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 06:33 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
It's legal.

Future employers may know you didn't work - not whether you collected UI.

It does not burn your bridges with all employers - - maybe a few - but all expect it - some hire you back when work picks up, some it is purely a "temp" job & you may not even have worked enough base weeks to qualify.

Either way, being a temp job or being laid off, you can file & collect if you qualify.

Employers UI contributions go up with valid claims paid out - but they know & understand that when they lay people off.

Yes you have to look for work. Keep records. You cannot turn down work similar to whatever position you were laid off from. They check occasionally, some require regular work search records from you.

Your ethics are your own. I would love to think most people are honest about it. It's not that easy to find a job.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:09 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
I get the impression that deep down you know the answer to your own questions. You want to know if it is OK to get paid for not working. That just sounds wrong doesn't it? Well, if it looks and quacks like a duck it probably is. Most employers don't like it because it costs them and it makes you look lazy as though you don't want to work, so if you plan on going back to this seasonal job the next time around you really should think twice about UE. For obvious reasons it will make you look bad. Entitlements like these were originally created as a safety net, but most of the people applying really don't need it, it is just the easy way.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 PM

I am not doing this, as it doesn't apply to my work or life situation, but it was brought to my attention recently and I had never heard about anyone doing this before. So that is why I wanted to hear more - other people's - thoughts about it.

There was one summer where my husband was laid-off several times right in a row, all within that one summer, and we had just had our second baby. I was working, two jobs, actually, but it was still a very hard time for us financially. He applied for unemployment at that time but for some reason he was denied. This was in Texas. I think my husband said the reason he was given was that he had not been unemployed long enough, or something like that? I'm not sure and this was 12 years ago... But it was a rough summer. Every time he would get hired on with a new job, after two or three weeks a paycheck would bounce (and we would get charged the bank fee), or he would go to work and there would be chains and locks on the doors (this actually happened) or something like that. It was awful, and for whatever reason he did not qualify for unemployment. Anyway - that's the only experience we have had with unemployment. So it does seem weird to me that people can just use it during breaks from seasonal work, when they know their job will end, because there was a time when our family really needed it when my husband was laid off unexpectedly from what he thought were going to be full-time year-round jobs but he couldn't get it. It's just weird.

I appreciate everyone's input, I really do. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates