Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times

Advertisements

We purchase so many products from large organizations, particularly in the grocery business. Whether it is organizations like Walmart, Kroger, Meijer, and the like, they have house brands. Just take one area such as dairy products. They sell a large number of products, milk, eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream, yogurt, and many others under their house brand. If you look at the label it simply identifies them as the distributor, usually giving a corporate address.

Now do you think they actually own and operate the processing plants for all of these dairy products? I don't think so, any more than they own and operate the plants which produce so many other products sold under their brand label.

I feel the house brands should be required to identify the primary source from which they are purchased. Truth in advertising should be just that - truthful divulgence of the real source. Any product which is packaged, etc. for anyone other than the original supplier should be required to stipulate who the original supplier is.

Does anyone agree with me?, I am damn tired of not knowing where what I buy is actually coming from.

This is true in Cincinnati, where Kroger dominates, plus just about anywhere else in the country. How many of you wish Kroger divulged the actual source of the house brand products they sell here?

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-12-2012 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM

307 posts, read 543,593 times
At a previous engineering firm i did a decent amount of food products work. Spent some time in a granola bar facility and the lines would run there brand as well as krogers, walmart, and pretty much every grocery chain in the US. I know it varies a lot by product ie Kroger has a large ice cream plant in lower price hill still, but for shelf stable stuff it's usually made in a few facilities.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 PM

688 posts, read 1,116,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
We purchase so many products from large organizations, particularly in the grocery business. Whether it is organizations like Walmart, Kroger, Meijer, and the like, they have house brands. Just take one area such as dairy products. They sell a large number of products, milk, eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream, yogurt, and many others under their house brand. If you look at the label it simply identifies them as the distributor, usually giving a corporate address.

Now do you think they actually own and operate the processing plants for all of these dairy products? I don't think so, any more than they own and operate the plants which produce so many other products sold under their brand label.

I feel the house brands should be required to identify the primary source from which they are purchased. Truth in advertising should be just that - truthful divulgence of the real source. Any product which is packaged, etc. for anyone other than the original supplier should be required to stipulate who the original supplier is.

Does anyone agree with me?, I am damn tired of not knowing where what I buy is actually coming from.

This is true in Cincinnati, where Kroger dominates, plus just about anywhere else in the country. How many of you wish Kroger divulged the actual source of the house brand products they sell here?

I'll see your concern and raise you one further. The WTO has deemed 'dolphin free' labels to be illegal. This is a violation of our sovereignty in my opinion. Not to get too political here but by nature I don't support administrations that wish to cede American sovereignty to global governance (e.g. WTO, UN, etc.). This means I overwhelmingly vote libertarian and I'd encourage you to do the same if you support causes such as the one in the link below.

Eyes on Trade: U.S. dolphin-safe tuna labeling rule deemed a WTO violation

Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,204 times
What I found out from a trusted source (aka my wife) is that the FDA regulations state that if a juice or something to that nature does not have to list its source as long as the ingredients come from the US. If there is anything that comes from outside the US it must state that on the label. So, if a drink uses apple from China, it must state that. Also, if the name or description states it is from a specific area (ie. Florida Orange Juice, Washington Apple, etc.) the ingredients used must come from that area.

There is no requirement to list each individual source as long as it comes from within the US.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:15 AM

702 posts, read 953,669 times
Vote with your dollars my friends, buy local organic products... Better for both your health and the local economy

Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
I agree it would be nice, but I don't know if a law is necessary. If I'm not mistaken, milk cartons do have a numeric code stamped on them showing their source. I don't have any milk in the house to check though, and of course a code is not very helpful.

I'm wondering if milk is like petroleum: it is all mixed together from different source? For example, many farms truck their milk to one distribution center where it is place in a big tank before bottling?

Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
I'll see your concern and raise you one further. The WTO has deemed 'dolphin free' labels to be illegal. This is a violation of our sovereignty in my opinion. Not to get too political here but by nature I don't support administrations that wish to cede American sovereignty to global governance (e.g. WTO, UN, etc.). This means I overwhelmingly vote libertarian and I'd encourage you to do the same if you support causes such as the one in the link below.

Eyes on Trade: U.S. dolphin-safe tuna labeling rule deemed a WTO violation

What if I started labeling all of my hamburger "Human-free?" Or my apple-juice "Urine-Free."

Labeling as such implies that competitors products contain human or urine, which is dishonest marketing because hamburger meat doesn't contain humans, apple juice doesn't contain urine, and tuna doesn't contain dolphin.

Simple as that.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:11 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,133,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post

I agree partially. Sounds like a great idea. The more information the better. However, this would increase the problems and the costs for companies and they will probably raise the prices to off set the costs.

So it's a question of: do you want a product that is reasonably priced or an expensive one with lots of labeling?

Considering I can't afford too expensive, I am going for not so much labeling at the moment. I imagine that given a choice most people are not rich and therefore would agree with me. But I don't know of course...

Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Default missing information

Canned Tuna does not, indeed, contain any dolphin but the cheapest way of hunting tuna does kill a lot of dolphins as a by catch. Thus labeling tuna from sources that use Dolphin Friendly nets would provide these companies with a competitive advantage that would justify their higher prices. Banning the label is just another subsidy for the cheap and cruel. I do not buy very much tuna because I do not believe we should be hunting our food with rapacious industrial methods. I believe we should raise our food as we have domesticated all manner of critters. When was the last time we hunted beef cattle for example.

We tend to buy locally made bread, local eggs, semi local cheese and local fruit. I have no idea where the meat and fish are sourced but the fish is probably from nearby fishermen out of Northeast ports. I do this because the products are higher quality than the cheapest available. Fortunately we can afford the prices we pay for the higher quality.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Canned Tuna does not, indeed, contain any dolphin but the cheapest way of hunting tuna does kill a lot of dolphins as a by catch. Thus labeling tuna from sources that use Dolphin Friendly nets would provide these companies with a competitive advantage that would justify their higher prices. Banning the label is just another subsidy for the cheap and cruel. I do not buy very much tuna because I do not believe we should be hunting our food with rapacious industrial methods. I believe we should raise our food as we have domesticated all manner of critters. When was the last time we hunted beef cattle for example.

We tend to buy locally made bread, local eggs, semi local cheese and local fruit. I have no idea where the meat and fish are sourced but the fish is probably from nearby fishermen out of Northeast ports. I do this because the products are higher quality than the cheapest available. Fortunately we can afford the prices we pay for the higher quality.
Zen-master didn't say dolphin-Safe, (s)he said dolphin-Free.

Labeling your food Dolphin-Free would be tantamount to claiming other's products contained dolphin, which would constitute libel if you can't actually prove that accusation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates