Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
You don't think another citizen could have stopped this guy, like some of the teachers or principal, if they had another gun?

We are overthinking what should be an easy solution. Remove gun free zones, allow citizens to carry guns, train teachers/principals to defend themselves and shoot. Can you stop all of them? Can you improve the chances of stopping more? Yes

But some may not approve of, say a principal, keeping a gun in the school.

There are tons of examples of citizens stopping non-sense like this. Just google it.
I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm saying that no law can be written to prevent horrors like this, inasmuch as laws affect the law abiding before the fact and criminals only after. With increasing frequency, the evil among us have been involving our children in a one sided shooting war. It's time we took direct action and protected our children on the spot --with guns. I'm for increased police presence in our schools for a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:40 PM

657 posts, read 695,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm saying that no law can be written to prevent horrors like this, inasmuch as laws affect the law abiding before the fact and criminals only after. With increasing frequency, the evil among us have been involving our children in a one sided shooting war. It's time we took direct action and protected our children on the spot --with guns. I'm for increased police presence in our schools for a start.
I agree.,

And we should also remove the gun free zone signs, and allow school staff to carry if they chose to.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:44 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Sarcasm aside, that's a fair point. Suppose we start with using this as a definition of a dangerously mentally ill individual: "A person who, as a result of diagnosis by a mental health professional and/or physician trained in psychiatric disorders, is determined to present a high potential of threat to others, especially in an educational setting"...and then go one from there.

Fair enough? That would place the responsibility for making determinations about this critical issue firmly where it belongs -- on the people trained in the field and qualified to make the necessary recommendations for further strategies and/or actions.
I think your definition is a sound one. But I think many professionals would agrue that we all have the potential for violence, therefore we all could - theoretically - be mentally ill. Some of these individuals do not show outward signs of mental illness. It would be vey hard to diagnose all of them early on. But it might help reduce the occurances.

But as another poster stated, as long as man exists, there will be atrocities. We will never competely rid ourselves of these incidences, chiefly because the instigator almost always has the advantage of knowing where and when and how. The best we could hope for is a reduction of occurrances and a better response time when they do.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:47 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,280 times
[SIZE=5]peppermint[/SIZE]
befriend
2,206 posts, read 1,393,064 times

My family owns guns and my husband's family. We have no problem with allowing private citizens to own guns. One thing that bothers me is assault weapons. Guns that fire multiple rounds in seconds. Why does a private citizen need that kind of firepower? I don't understand.

My family owns guns and my husband's family. We have no problem with allowing private citizens to own guns. One thing that bothers me is assault weapons. Guns that fire multiple rounds in seconds. Why does a private citizen need that kind of firepower? I don't understand.

Well peppermint if you knew what your talking about you would not have made your comment,
1 private people do not own Assault weapons. they are Full auto. you do have an idea of what that means ??
2 What semi auto firearm can fire multiple rounds in seconds. please list them.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:24 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,595 times
[quote=Nevar242;27459182][SIZE=5]peppermint[/SIZE]
befriend
2,206 posts, read 1,393,064 times

quote]

EXACTLY! There is no use for that kind of weapon except killing, as many as fast as possible. How can anyone condone such a thing be in common households.

I wonder...... if instead of all those beautiful photos of the happy smiling children who were slaughtered, the media published photos of the horror that assult weapon did in seconds to their tiny bodies. If we were all eye witness to the brave teacher lying dead with her arms stretched around dead children, riddled with bullets in one huge pool of blood. Maybe we deserve to see crime scene photos of the carnage, would people still think private citizens should have assult weapons?

Old 12-22-2012, 06:33 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,872 times
I'm sorry, but I seriously doubt that video games and what is seen or televison actually have something to do with those who kill. Espically if a parent is explaning this to them on a constant basis.

I honestly don't think their is anyway to prevent such shootings. The Conneticut shooting did not have to be, the carelessness of his mother for taking him to shooting ranges and having guns in complete access of him knowing he was not mentally stable was her fault.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:00 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
[quote=chris123678;27459625]I'm sorry, but I seriously doubt that video games and what is seen or televison actually have something to do with those who kill. . . .

As far as I know there have been no studies or followups on youngsters that play violent video games for most of their waking hours. If I had a kid that spent several hours a day playing violent video games I would be VERY concerned. Of course most parents use the TV and Computer as babysitters rather than actually spending time with them doing things like maybe hunting and fishing. Wanna bet that almost ALL of the recent mass killers spent more time playing violent video games than they did with an adult hunting or fishing? Of course there are FEW mental health professionals willing to study this issue because the majority of them have already decided that GUNS are evil. The Mother of the most recent killer obviously was clueless about the mental health of her son and she paid the price.

GL2

Old 12-25-2012, 02:26 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
What causes/allows these types of atrocities to occur isn't the access to guns.video games, movies or anything else...what it comes down to is the namby pamby way in which we all tiptoe around the tough things in life!

No one wants to get their feelings hurt or ever say something that is unpopular...everyone must LIKE me...blah blah blah....BARF!

Sometimes you gotta spank a kid, tell a parent to control their kid, let kids fight, tell someone they are acting in a socially unacceptable manner, let kids lose at stuff, fall down and get hurt and let people be embarrassed for using public assistance...it's not supposed to be a proud moment! It's supposed to be a NECESSARY moment and one in which you bust your ass to not have to repeat...we aren't entitled to other peoples earnings...we are only entitle the same opportunity to do the same with whatever talents we have.
if someone is acting in a manner that is deemed dangerous we need to intervene...not look the other way for fear of offending.

Now-a-days it seems that the person that stands for what is right is chastised because they are hard and judgmental and unfeeling about how the other person was brought up or what they've been through....so F'ing WHAT? We're adults, get over it...we've all had bad stuff happen, it doesn't give us the right to go around taking and crapping on everyone else!

What we need is more R. Lee Ermy's in the world and a lot less Stuart Smalleys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtSYZi7zd7A
http://youtu.be/KtSYZi7zd7A

Old 12-26-2012, 12:53 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
I agree.,

And we should also remove the gun free zone signs, and allow school staff to carry if they chose to.
I love my teacher friends, but there are a few that should not even be allowed to walk with scissors.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to "carry a weapon" around children without extensive training and proof that they can properly handle one. Otherwise, it becomes another weapon that can be used by a psycho.

And before you jump all over me, I own a gun.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:16 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
If you don't trust these teachers....why do you not DO something about them? My Gawd, many childrens' LIVES are in their hands daily...if they're NOT to be trusted it's YOUR responsibility to ALERT someone!

....Or where you just blowing smoke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates