Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

I also think that people in warm weather show more skin, such as spending all year in shorts and short sleeves, and that makes them more casual. I sort of believe this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,380 times
I live close to Manhattan and I can say that the New Yorkers that I know (I am one myself) can vary in their behavior regardless of the weather. What I have noticed is that when it is hot outside, we complain that it is hot and when it is cold we complain that it is cold. It also depends on what they are doing and who they are doing it with. There are days when I walked around Central Park and noticed a vast array of emotions and behaviors. From families who are playing in the grass together to single people reading on park benches or riding bikes/skateboards. I also notice no general difference of behavior between weather changes. When I went south of New York on various vacations, I did notice different general attitudes. I took a trip to North Carolina five yeas ago, it was close to a foreign land for me. People smiled and laughed and most seemed to be having a good time regardless of where they were or what they were doing. Things seemed more lax and happy. To me, this was bizarre, but I had a good time any way. I went to Florida several times after that trip to NC and noticed something else, people in general (you always have outliers) seemed to be more relaxed, but less happy. They seemed to just wander through their day. Of course, this is specific areas and cities, I did not traverse all of Florida and North Carolina. To be more specific, I went to Charlotte North Carolina and for my trips to Florida, I went to Tampa and Clearwater. I took a trip to Puerto Rico as well, four years ago in December. The people there were very relaxed, I would have to say serene. Not jubilant, but not miserable either. They were the calmest in general. People were also tighter knit in their communities. Neighbors actually knew and spoke to one another. I would have to say in places that are not a dense city like New York City or the surrounding cities, location seems to play a part in how people feel or behave in general.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:32 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,184 times
I completely don't agree. I think, people feel unhappier when temperature is uncomfortable, regardless of it's too hot or too cold. Just most of people are a bit more heat tolerable than cold tolerable. But not all people are the same, some like heat more, some like cold more, some don't like either. Also, most people tend to like sunshine, so many people on high latitudes tend to be depressed in winter (because of more cloudy days and decreasing daylight), but it's not really because of cold. When it comes to me, I'm much more cold tolerable than heat tolerable, and cloudiness mostly doesn't care me. Also, you always can protect yourself of cold by wearing more clothes, when protect yourself (at least, outside rooms) from heat is much more difficult. Also, houses in cold climates usually projected to stay warm most of time (however, houses in hot climates are also projected to stay cool). However, I also don't think that people in cold climates are happier than in hot ones, either, there are many more important factors than weather. Weather (meaning temperature - not mentioning sunshine because there are cold sunny and hot cloudy climates) is just question of comfort, while comfort doesn't determine all of happiness.

Last edited by Max96; 01-05-2014 at 08:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates