Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Compare that to the number of Blacks and Hispanics statistically that live in crowded urban areas. How many have access to a pool?
About 100%

Old 03-20-2013, 11:06 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Debunking The Stereotype That Blacks Don

Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Yea, that opinon you cite isn't much of a debunk. It cites the 42% of white americans being non-swimmers (rounding it up to half...) and admits 70% of black americans are non-swimmers.

It also uses this language "I suspect that the white numbers are slightly inflated based on the fact many that my Caucasian, land-lubbing friends define “swimming” as walking into a pool up to their waist, getting out, then applying more coconut oil."

You don't debunk facts with hopeful opinions. Lets just say its not exactly a peer-reviewed article.....

Economic class probably has more to do with it, as suggested above.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Trying to make this about race doesn't compute. This is a class issue. I am guessing if you look at family incomes and locations of those families you'll find your answer. Seriously, very few statistics actually end up being about race. It is socio-economic class.
This. How do you learn to swim when you have no easy access to a pool or lake?

I learned to swim via swimming lessons. Those aren't usually free.

I just learned recently that a city here in NW Arkansas tore down their city pool to build a huge aquatic center with tax money. They are charging $10 admission. Who can afford that? Not the lower income people. This city has a large, poor Hispanic population, too. Most of them won't be going to the city pool. Their only other option is driving out in the country to swim at the lake. Not the safest place to learn how to swim.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:53 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
From Wikipedia entry for "Al Campanis":

Elsewhere in the interview he said that blacks are often poor swimmers "because they don't have the buoyancy."

Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 PM

271 posts, read 600,651 times
I am not African American but I have a theory on this.

It all depends where you grew up. I grew up in an inner city and never had access to pools, lakes or the like. I never learned how to swim. When we moved to the suburbs when I was 16 I still really didn't have access to a pool.

My kids learned when they were very young when we joined a local swim club, I was in my early forties then and I guess I had no desire to learn. I don't even really like going into water like that, and I really dislike the beach. I am not afraid I just don't like it. I think it's something you need to get accustomed to when you are younger.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Why would one care? I know how to swim and was once a lifeguard.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:47 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Why would one care? I know how to swim and was once a lifeguard.
I guess you must think it's a dumb question but to some people, it's interesting. I would think that it has to do with money. If you grow up in an inner city you usually don't get sent off to summer camp which is where a lot of kids learn to swim and you don't get a family vacation at a lake or at the ocean. You never get the chance to learn. By the time people reach adulthood and have the means to learn, they often have no interest or they are afraid. So they never learn.

That's my guess but lots of cities have public pools and kids could learn there and in that case I don't know whether or not they learn to swim.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Trying to make this about race doesn't compute. This is a class issue. I am guessing if you look at family incomes and locations of those families you'll find your answer. Seriously, very few statistics actually end up being about race. It is socio-economic class.
I disagree with the family income part. Back in the '60's and '70's my parents had four children and only one income (blue-collar - certainly not rich), but they made sure we all took swimming lessons. These were conducted at a local high school for a low fee through a community education program. It just was an important part of growing up for us, and our friends. i am pretty sure most, if not all, of my friends knew how to swim. That was proven once in high school where swimming was a part of physical education class. Believe me, I did not go to an elite high school either. Or an all-white one.

When I raised my son swimming lessons were part of his childhood as well.

The experience the OP shared about being in boot camp is exactly what I experienced. I thought it was weird that people didn't know how to swim in the NAVY! I figured that should be a requirement for enlisting. Anyway, I am very glad and thankful I knew how to swim and had also taken Red Cross survival classes once in high school, which came in handy too.

If anything, I hope this thread teaches parents (of all races) what an important life skill swimming is and to get their children signed up for swimming lessons as soon as they can. I know my grandchildren will be getting them - at the local high school!

P.S. If nothing else teach your children how to float on their backs and tread water. Those two things could save a life.

Last edited by geebabe; 03-20-2013 at 01:11 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM

945 posts, read 968,382 times
Quote:
My god, it is not a class or racial (physically speaking). It has to do with culture, the black culture doesn't put as much emphasis on learning to swim as whites. If you give me a white kid and black kid at age 3, I can teach them both to swim. It is literally like walking, running or talking, it is a motor skill that simply requires someone to practice it.

It is like classic "watermelon or chicken" that is typically cited as a "black food" it is cultural adopted by a lot of the black community (because its delicious to me!) as a staple food because its tradition in many black families and something the family puts emphasis on, juxtaposed to swimming in proportions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.