Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times

Advertisements

In my time and throughout the regions of the country I have traveled, I have found one set of skills to be particularly lacking in the African-American community, knowing how to swim. Upon joining the navy many years ago I remember the separated the incoming recruits at the pool by those who could swim and those who could not swim. Those who could not swim raised their hand, openly admitting it, and were then administered swimming lessons during basic training.

Many of my black friends also claim to not know how to swim. When watching water sports, diving, swimming, boating, etc,you will notice there are very few if any African Americans in these sports.

Anyone care to dig up the truth on why the majority of African Americans do not learn how to swim?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 AM

945 posts, read 968,774 times
Swimming can only be achieved by experience, ultimately they didn't learn.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
In my time and throughout the regions of the country I have traveled, I have found one set of skills to be particularly lacking in the African-American community, knowing how to swim. Upon joining the navy many years ago I remember the separated the incoming recruits at the pool by those who could swim and those who could not swim. Those who could not swim raised their hand, openly admitting it, and were then administered swimming lessons during basic training.

Many of my black friends also claim to not know how to swim. When watching water sports, diving, swimming, boating, etc,you will notice there are very few if any African Americans in these sports.

Anyone care to dig up the truth on why the majority of African Americans do not learn how to swim?
Are you sure the majority can not swim? Based on what? A few random observations?

A more interesting question is why do you use a sample of about a couple dozen people to project the swimming capability to tens of millions of people?

Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Are you sure the majority can not swim? Based on what? A few random observations?

A more interesting question is why do you use a sample of about a couple dozen people to project the swimming capability to tens of millions of people?
That question is dull. Facts are facts, if we were to do a scientific poll I would be willing to put money on it that over 50% of African Americans do not know how to swim.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
That question is dull. Facts are facts, if we were to do a scientific poll I would be willing to put money on it that over 50% of African Americans do not know how to swim.
OK, I think you are correct in your assumption (I did a quick internet research). However, your original post would be more valid had you cited some data rather than some arbitrary observations.

for example:

"According to the USA Swimming Foundation - 70 percent of African-American and 60 percent of Hispanic children can't swim."

from

New study urges African-Americans, Hispanics to learn to swim | 11alive.com

Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 AM

945 posts, read 968,774 times
Quote:

I'm not denying the observation is probably accurate, but he is asking 'why'. The explanation in this situation is simple, no one taught them. If he is looking for a physiological reason for it be stopping blacks, I can assure there is no merit to that if that is what you are seeking.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, I think you are correct in your assumption (I did a quick internet research). However, your original post would be more valid had you cited some data rather than some arbitrary observations.

for example:

"According to the USA Swimming Foundation - 70 percent of African-American and 60 percent of Hispanic children can't swim."

from

New study urges African-Americans, Hispanics to learn to swim | 11alive.com
You see? Observations are what pique our interest and cause us to look into something further, digging up the facts and eventually the cause.

For the rest of the posters to follow, there is factual evidence to back this up.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...cant-swim.html

They claim 70% of black youth do not know how to swim.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
You see? Observations are what pique our interest and cause us to look into something further, digging up the facts and eventually the cause.

For the rest of the posters to follow, there is factual evidence to back this up.

The Louisiana Drowning: Why Many Blacks Can

They claim 70% of black youth do not know how to swim.
Yes, but I see so many threads on city-data asking questions based on assumptions or flat out wrong statements. At least a pointer to a reputable data source will validate the questions being asked.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Trying to make this about race doesn't compute. This is a class issue. I am guessing if you look at family incomes and locations of those families you'll find your answer. Seriously, very few statistics actually end up being about race. It is socio-economic class.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,016,045 times
Compare that to the number of Blacks and Hispanics statistically that live in crowded urban areas. How many have access to a pool? A lake?
Wise Words: Patrick Larkin | Educator Studio

Also this is a more recent development. Previous generations of Black kids had more access and encouragement.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...3cjR9SmC_Hr4dw

I believe that Diana Ross was a member of her swim team. Many boys were encouraged to swim as Boy Scout members in 50's-70's. Funding dried up for a lot of these venues in the 1970's so access to swimming spots and lessons were limited.
I,myself, am only a fair swimmer as a result of adult classes. I was greatly influenced by a generational fear of water from my mother and both sisters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates