Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:29 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
Yes you do; known for years by those who know! Biggest culprit is dairy products. Named and renamed hormones to avoid FDA regs (which are useless in this regard) continue to be used. Those hormones are THE cause of breast and prostate cancer incidence. That tall glass of milk is deadly to a substantial part of the population and should not be drunk by anyone over 18. Its important to note, you cannot be a profitable dairy farmer without putting tons of hormones in those cows. They must produce prodigious amounts of milk, way way beyond what they could physiologically - or they are more valuable as meat.

All you have to do is look at the height and weight of people today vs 50 years ago. Its substantial - very substantial. That is an effect of hormones. There are other manifestations as well, but I won't get into it here since this is a family site.

Eggs and poultry are also hormonalized but whether or not that has a biologic effect on the cosumer is still not (to my knowledge) established.

[no citations....look it up yourself...just be knowledgeable about your source. Only trust studies that you can read and review the results and know how statistics were used. Lots of BS out there these days.]
Oh, hogwash.

Survey of retail milk composition as affecte... [J Am Diet Assoc. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

" Label claims were not related to any meaningful differences in the milk compositional variables measured. It is important for food and nutrition professionals to know that conventional, rbST-free, and organic milk are compositionally similar so they can serve as a key resource to consumers who are making milk purchase (and consumption) decisions in a marketplace where there are misleading milk label claims.'

By the way, height is predominantly genetic. The heights of your parents account for 85% of your height.

Overall increases in average height may have to do with the overall standard of living. Increasing weight is a problem, by and large due to lack of exercise and overeating, not hormones in food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Another thing I've been thinking about is how it seems like not as many people got cancer 100 or even 200 years ago. I wasn't there, so I don't no for sure, but it makes sense. There definitely wasn't all the chemicals in foods back then.. everyone basically just lived off the land. It seems as though people mostly died of viral diseases back then because things weren't as sanitary. I just find it scary that 1 in 3 people these days seem to get cancer. Something has to be in our food.
Most people who get cancer are older. Two hundred years ago, fewer people lived long enough to get it.

Tobacco accounts for a large percentage of cancers.

CDC - Fact Sheet - Tobacco-Related Mortality - Smoking & Tobacco Use

..........................................Male ......Female......Total
Lip, oral cavity, pharynx..... 3,749.......1,144 ........4,893
Esophagus ....................... 6,961......1,631......... 8,592
Stomach............................1,900...... 584........... 2,484
Pancreas............................3,147...... 3,536.........6,683
Larynx............................... 2,446.........563.........3,009
Trachea, lung, bronchus..... 78,680..... 46,842..... 125,522
Cervix uteri....................................... 447...........447
Kidney and renal pelvis...... 2,827....... 216.......... 3,043
Urinary bladder.................3,907....... 1,076....... 4,983
Acute myeloid leukemia...... 855........1137.......1192

Old 01-05-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Our livestock, fruits, and veggies are given growth hormones to grow faster. In order to grow, cells need to multiple. What is cancer? When cells multiply uncontrollably.
The growth hormones used in food animals appear in milk and meat in small quantities, comparable to those occurring naturally. The hormones are proteins that you cannot absorb whole (you digest them). There is no evidence that they cause cancer in humans.

Do you have any sources to confirm growth hormones are used on plants? Fertilizers, yes, but hormones?

Old 01-05-2014, 05:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,732 times
I think everyone should be concerned about all food product. The FDA or should I say the people employed at the FDA have given us false sence of security in the food and drug industry. Not everything we buy in the stores - weather its food or a product we use on our bodys, it seems that labels are being changed constantly."New and improved," to me - says, they found something wrong with an ingredient and had to either figure out what is causing an outbreak or illness or they already did and now they just change the chemicals and wait to see what happens. No one seems to know about this. Sugar has been linked to so many illness. Bleach is used to change the color. Thats just one troubling sign. Why? Start reading everything you buy. Have you ever heard of anyone suing the FDA for allowing this in our food or suing a pictular brand for causing certain sickness in people? Thats because we can't. Our Government has conviently put clauses in the law, keeping us from suing them. But if we buy a food product from a farmer and get sick, the FDA is on top of it! Its on the new like we expect. They track down where that product was purchased and what row in the farmers field it came from. Then its all over the news and next thing you know the farmer is filing bankruptcy and out of business. Makes me sick. The big companys that boil or heat all the nutrition out of the products we consume then add chemicals that we cant even pronounce for unknown reasons. I want to see what kind of studies were done and by who. Does anyone even know how exactly these studies are conducted? Or where they find tthese people? Do they pay the people for this? I think "we" are the study. Thats why we dont hear about the millions of women who were diagnosed with breast cancer or that there are certain products that were linked to this. Obama care is not going to help matters. It will control what we find out through our "now," Gov't controlled Doctors. Why elce would our Govt exclude themselfs from the same health care? Everyone will end up in the computer system. So if people think getting a 2nd opinion will matter - guess again! All Doctors will be on the same page and you wont see Doctors telling people something different then the Doctor you saw the day before. He had the results before you even got there.That is happening right now. GOVERNMENT STUDIES AND WE ARE IT! Anything you ever want to know is now available on the internet - but you need to research everything. Because its not all true. I suggest everyone watch this doc. How all this started and there are films to prove what they say. Its called "FrankenSteer". Our now meat eating cow. And how the have to use radiation to kill the diseases before packaging. Its horrifying.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:04 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Quote:
I've been thinking a lot lately about all the chemicals and hormones they put in our food these days. It has really been worrying me. I truly think that the hormones and chemicals they pump in our food is one of the leading causes of cancer and other diseases. What is the real reason they inject hormones and antibiotics into cows and other animals? I'd really like to know.

Does this ever worry any of you? I'm getting really concerned about the food I eat each day. I'd like to shop at Whole Foods every day, but that can get really expensive.
They keep animals in small contained spaces and they'll become sick unless the owners will inject antibiotics in them to "prevent" diseases. Hormones are injected for growth aka profit. They want an animal to grow as soon as possible and become as large as possible. This will mean more money for them in revenue.

I wasnt born in this country and my relatives in my country keep chickens, pigs and cows as mother nature intended. They feed on grass are smaller and taste very good.

If you are really worried about your health eat organic and cook your own meals. Yes, you are right, all the pesticides and hormones lead to cancer. I recommend you to read the book "Anticancer" Anticancer: A New Way Of Life - David Servan-Schreiber
The author had a brain tumor that would have killed him in a year. Because of life style changes he lived 20 years more.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:23 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times
Yeah. Aside from being against commercial farming and the way animals are treated, I gave up meat for that very reason, along with all processed foods.

Guess what? I feel better for it and weird how my acne problem totally went away.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:21 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,286 times
I feel like chemicals in foods, and harmful sprays that surround us, are leading causes of cancer.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:01 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
I've been thinking a lot lately about all the chemicals and hormones they put in our food these days. It has really been worrying me. I truly think that the hormones and chemicals they pump in our food is one of the leading causes of cancer and other diseases. What is the real reason they inject hormones and antibiotics into cows and other animals? I'd really like to know.

Does this ever worry any of you? I'm getting really concerned about the food I eat each day. I'd like to shop at Whole Foods every day, but that can get really expensive.
The reason they load us up with chemicals is to keep oncologists in business. It's a vicious circle.

If you think food at places like Whole Foods is safe, think again.

The government, including CDC and FDA, are amongst our biggest enemies.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Reading this thread made me go check the milk bottle in the fridge. The label claims "no growth hormones" or drugs used on the cattle. We buy OAKHURST from the grocery store. I buy our meat from the local butcher but get the veggies from the same grocery store as the milk. I tend to buy frozen summer vegies but regular onions, garlic and potatoes.

I suffer from a metabolism that converts starch into either yeasts in my gut or fat around my organs. I have tried to loose weight for years but cannot unless I go on a non carbohydrate diet. The Veterans hospital told me it might be exposure to Agent Orange whatever in hell that is. I was in 'Nam when they started spraying the stuff. At the time I was too busy dodging bullets to worry about chemicals our side was using.

I heard some advice about buying foods:

Wash the vegetables. Most important with the leafy veggies. Buy fresh frozen instead of "fresh" on the shelf.

Buy meat from the butcher section in the market or a local butcher that has some control over his sources. Avoid pre packaged meat. The bright red color is created by packaging in Carbon monoxide. Be wary of huge chickens. A six pound chicken just isn't right.

We buy either "organic" eggs from a local egg producer or, when they have them, really fresh eggs from another local farmer.

"Oakhurst Farms" claims to have natural milk. It tastes good as well.I think Ben & Jerry's uses good milk from local Vermont Dairy farmers. So does Cabot Cheese.

Generally avoid buying anything that has over five items on the contents list. Added vitamins like A & D don't count.

Avoid drinking sugar charged mixed alcoholic drinks. The sugar will make you ill. If you must mix your alcohol with something use good fruit juice and decent vodka. Better if you drink good beer or wine. I prefer Appalachian Corn & Rye whiskey or stuff from Great Britain or former colonies. Good whiskey but not much of it.

Above all DO NOT SMOKE ANYTHING! Also be careful of smoke of any kind. Wood and coal smoke are not doing you any good except for providing heat.

After all these years of abusing eating and sloth I am, affording to my doctor, a remarkably healthy heavy man for being nearly 70. I am just terribly out of shape. Thirty years in an office will do that to you.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times
It keeps food lasting longer. Haven't you noticed that most milk from the carton doesn't expire for a good three weeks these days? That's not how it used to be.

I don't like that much of our food is genetically modified today, but agricultural unions have done a great job to make sure we the people continue to vote in their favor. There's not much that can be done except to educate the public so that when votes on the matter come up, people will have an informed opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates