Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:40 AM

854 posts, read 1,483,155 times

Advertisements

Are women simply more inclined towards empathy and a kinder nature than men on average, or do they just get away with stuff more? Or neither?

It's obvious that most murder and rape are committed by men, though domestic violence seems to be closer to on par. A lot of male violence is driven by status and encouraged by society, while women are encouraged to be meek and when women do kill, they seem more likely to use less visible methods such as poisoning.

Female criminals also seem to usually have abuse in their background (though the same could be argued about male criminals), and society is more empathetic to them. Jurors have been known to be more reluctant to sentence a woman to death and many societies that practiced capital punishment in the past exempted women from such a fate.

It does seem like nowadays the proportion of crimes committed by women is rising even though men still do by far the lion's share.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,784 times
In the U.S. we have the PYT defense. Overall it seems to help reduce apparent female crime, that and tender years doctrine.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
and when we do have female criminals brought to justice, it seems they get much lighter sentences.

It seems no one will believe a guy who says......" My buddy forced me to help" in the robbery that turned into a murder

They are quick to believe the female who says..." My boyfriend forced me to help "

Old 04-07-2014, 09:02 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Men are by nature more aggressive that women. They have to be more aggressive and women have to be less aggressive

Women bear children. They nurse them. This makes them less suitable to engage in hunting and fighting. A woman nursing a baby can't hunt or fight effectively while she is in the act of nursing. A nursing child whose mother was killed faced diminished prospects of maturing and reproducing himself. And a man can't relieve her of this responsibility. A clan can endure the loss of a man more easily than the loss of a woman because men can breed a lot while a woman can breed only once every 9 months. So, evolutionarily, women have to be protected. Groups that exposed them to danger were at an evolutionary disadvantage.

The same traits that advantage men for hunting and fighting advantage them for crime: they used to go out and acquire mammoth meat by taking it, now they acquire money by taking it. They used to kill other men who opposed or competed with them: they still do.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:14 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,819 times
You make a good point. All too often I've watched the detective shows that typically convict a boyfriend of the wife planning and participating in the killing of her husband, all the while enlisting his help. Sometimes paying him. Kind of like that Jodie Arias but, with more planning in mind and 1/2 as Kooky. And what happens? The murderer gets life (win!) or the death penalty. The accomplice and planner (female)? 5-10.

WTF????

Seems to me that if Kathryn is in on the crime, toss her rear end in prison forever or clip her. They have to typically be nothing short of Eileen Wuornos to get executed. And she killed 6 (that we know about). It does seem the females get lighter sentences.

Saw one last night about two twins in South Carolina. They bilked the US Government out of 20 MILLION in shipping charges for hardware over 10 years. When caught, one twin killed herself and the other???? 4-6 years....

WTF????

Guys and gals were dying in the conflicts and these two pork chops were milking the government out of tens of millions in "shipping charges". 4-6 years. And told to pay back 15 million (which she will never be able to repay).

4-6 years. REALLY???? Seems to me this was an egregious crime and the punishment should have been exponential in relation to this....say 30-40 years AND restitution. She's eligible to get out in 2015. Doing time in Club Fed Marion Florida.....

Yeah, we should probably tighten that up a bit. Next time Carol is caught in a robbery with Bingo and Zippy and they are going down hard for shooting the Korean/Arab behind the counter, whack her too. She is JUST as guilty.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Biology.

Men control most positions of power, and men, like it or not, view women as someone that needs protection.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:03 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,222 times
I don't think there is any difference between sexes when it comes to criminal acts. The difference is men are more overt and women are more covert. Every women I have ever know for more the a few months has gave me hints that they have the same rage and desire to ruin some ones day.

Society has always given the advantage to the females in court criminal cases because the average male judge or PA has that preconceived notion that women are saints.

Over human history how many men have died from poisoning, only to be ruled as natural causes. For every one women found to be the causes of the death, there are 5-10 deaths that are never properly investigated.

If at first pass a criminal act has a male and a women associated closely with the cause, the police will make every effort to make that man the suspect including forcing an admission a guilt. Police are just like water or electricity they will find the easiest path.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:42 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,659,160 times
Testoserone

Old 04-10-2014, 06:33 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Testoserone
I second that.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:41 AM

692 posts, read 1,005,064 times
I don't think there necessarily are fewer female criminals as much as fewer females are reported, prosecuted and sentenced as frequently and as harshly as males for the crimes they do commit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates