Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:41 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Your lack of self control shouldn't be reason for marijuana to be illegal. Are you an alcoholic chain smoker? Both alcohol and cigarettes are legal so surely you must have smoking and drinking problems............
I don't smoke or drink. Why would you assume I enjoy either? Many people love drugs and don't care for alcohol or cigarettes.

I have unmatched self control when the incentive matters to me. I guess you didn't understand my post. I clearly stated that my reasons for avoiding drugs are:

1) Don't want to invite criminal scumbags into my life
2) Don't want to invite cops into my life
3) Don't want to use substances of unverified contents

Take away those deterrents and I'm left with no reason important enough TO ME to exercise my self control and abstain.

Trust me I am as much of an anarchist as anyone. This is a very personal issue for me, which is why instead of saying "drugs should be illegal" I said "I am thankful drugs are illegal; it has probably saved my life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 01:55 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I don't smoke or drink. Why would you assume I enjoy either? Many people love drugs and don't care for alcohol or cigarettes.

I have unmatched self control when the incentive matters to me. I guess you didn't understand my post. I clearly stated that my reasons for avoiding drugs are:

1) Don't want to invite criminal scumbags into my life
2) Don't want to invite cops into my life
3) Don't want to use substances of unverified contents

Take away those deterrents and I'm left with no reason important enough TO ME to exercise my self control and abstain.

Trust me I am as much of an anarchist as anyone. This is a very personal issue for me, which is why instead of saying "drugs should be illegal" I said "I am thankful drugs are illegal; it has probably saved my life."
Ok, I did read too much into your post (or not enough )

I understand now.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Now hear me out, I am not saying it should be sold in stores or any of that, and I will agree that there should be stipulations that businesses can still decide whether or not to drug test as well as arrest someone if they are under the influence while driving like alcohol, but in the privacy of your own home, what's the big deal? I don't give a rats *** if someone is stupid enough to OD or whatever, isn't the world a better place? And I shouldn't have to tell you how much money/lives/family's would be spared if we got rid of the stupid "war on drugs" and prisons wouldn't be filled to the brim with low-lifes that would BE better off ODing and earning their darwin award. I think one of the biggest problems today is how many people are saved from their own stupidity and allowed to breed when, in the past the would have rightfully ended their own lives from their idiocy and saved the states/tax payers/everyone else from not only themselves but what we are paying for them.

Not that I would ever do drugs myself and I do also believe there should still be re-habs for the few drug addicts that actually WANT help (and considering how many are forced into it yet don't help themselves it actually makes it harder for people that do have enough brains to seek out help to actually be focused on them, not someone that still wants to do them badly but is just there because they are forced to be), but this whole war on drugs and all the lives that have been destroyed and all the money we spend that never does anything is FAR worse than letting some crackhead/pothead/whatever spend all their time in their home wasting their lives away. I used to live in an apt complex many years ago where a girl did cocaine and she was arrested by a drug bust and was sent to re-hab but of course it didn't do jack and she was back doing it again. Thing is she always stayed inside and didn't bug anyone really but I just found it absurd how MY tax money was spent to help this coke addict that, because she never wanted help never took it seriously and was back again.
Why not just eliminate the whole FDA then and all laws on pharmaceuticals, all the required testing and approvals?

Let the buyer make his own decisions -- but for all drugs -- if I want to make and sell whatever kind of sleeping pill, why should there be any government involvement? Let the buyers decide.

If I want to produce a drug called Krokodil, and people want to buy it -- why not? Their choice. I could get very very rich by getting stupid idiots addicted to whatever product I choose -- and the cheaper it is to produce while being extremely addictive -- the better for me.

Sure legalize all drugs of every kind -- but also stop using taxpayer dollars for the hospital care when the idiots overdose. Let them pay their own way or die. Keep the government out completely if you're going to keep it out. And no more free taxpayer funded rehab.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:03 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
A friend of mine had a heart attack at the age of 21 because of cocaine. You really want to make that stuff legal?

What I do not understand is why do people think these drug dealers aren't going to go on and find something else illegal to do? Do you really think they're going to just become law abiding citizens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
IMO there are 3 drugs that are very dangerous..... Heroin, Crystal Meth and Crack.

All highly addictive and destroys lives.

I can understand legalizing the other drugs but not these 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I firmly believe that we need to encourage a return to traditional values. However, criminalizing drug possession will not wipe drug gangs off the map. We need to tackle drug cartels in order to shut down drug production at its origin. Moreover, we should discourage youths from getting into drug culture when they are young. If we do these things we will make America a safe and more optimistic country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well the problem with highly addictive drugs is that people will steal to support their habit. They'll ignore their kids. They won't pay bills. Lots of problems.

Now, if we had rules to take children away, made a license system for having children, and enforced debtors prison systems, we could combat some of that.

But the truth is, it's much easier to keep heroine and meth illegal.

Wide spread drugs like marijuana and cocaine could be legalized with high use of taxation. I'd just grow my own pot anyway.
EVERYBODIES nightmare stories have to do with cocaine/crack, meth, and herion. Like Rakin said, keep these illegal. THEY are the ones that cause 90% of all drug problems! They are too euphoric and addictive for people to handle. The rest of drugs no one knows about. Someone give me a reason why any drug besides cocaine/crack, meth, heroin or marijuana should be illegal!

And the cartel will be wiped off the map with legalization. They could make pharm drugs like LSD for pennies. No illegal market could compete and make money.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
england has legalized drug addicts. not much fun to be around have you seen walking dead series?

Old 02-22-2014, 03:08 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why not just eliminate the whole FDA then and all laws on pharmaceuticals, all the required testing and approvals?

Let the buyer make his own decisions -- but for all drugs -- if I want to make and sell whatever kind of sleeping pill, why should there be any government involvement? Let the buyers decide.

If I want to produce a drug called Krokodil, and people want to buy it -- why not? Their choice. I could get very very rich by getting stupid idiots addicted to whatever product I choose -- and the cheaper it is to produce while being extremely addictive -- the better for me.

Sure legalize all drugs of every kind -- but also stop using taxpayer dollars for the hospital care when the idiots overdose. Let them pay their own way or die. Keep the government out completely if you're going to keep it out. And no more free taxpayer funded rehab.
Except for you get crap drugs like Tylenol which are in everything and have repeatedly shown to cause liver damage. Tylenol should be banned from being mixed with any sort of drug.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Re- Legalize the natural state.
Re- Medicalize the processed and pharmaceutical. That should cover it.
Legalize the natural? As long as you're OK with the fact that...

Opium from a poppy is natural. Chewing coca leaves (Cocaine) is natural. Peyote buttons and Mescaline from cactus are natural. Psilocybin from mushrooms is natural.

Medicalize? Presume that means by prescription only?

Alcohol is processed... "Doc, I need my script for Budweiser!" (?)

And since you did not wish there to be an "illegal" category, Heroin would therefore also be obtainable by prescription, like in the UK (which their National Health Service pays for, I might add).

Old 02-22-2014, 03:24 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
With alcohol and tobacco legal, there is absolutely no GOOD reason that other drugs are not, or why a Doctor has to be paid a huge amount of money on a monthly basis for "permission" to use drugs.

But the Drug War is just another power-play by Big Government, as they seek to control every single aspect of every minute of our lives. Big Pharma loves it; the underclass have an economy that is not destroyed by taxes (but is destroyed by incarceration); and pain is woefully undertreated as doctors won't risk DEA harrassment for someone else's benefit.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:04 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Legalize the natural?
MJ, poppy, coca, Peyote, mushrooms...
Yep. Every single one is natural state agricultural which should all be legal by default.
If you want to talk about sensible (and actually enforceable) regulation... have at it.

I'm seeing USDA crop inspectors and County Extension Agents far more concerned with
quality and pesticides and perhaps production levels... not cops or courts or jails.

Quote:
Medicalize?
Quote:
Presume that means by prescription only?
Heroin would therefore also be obtainable by prescription...
And cocaine too.

The point is to have the involvement of medical professionals
and the absence of the illegal with all that stems from that.

It's really a simple concept.
Try to embrace it's er, rationality.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:15 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
every body trying to make drugs legal, why, why would anybody want to associate with anybody that screw up on drugs. why would you want you brother, dad, mom, co worker , so out of it they don't know where they was.

my brother dies from smoking weed, it final rot his brain, space cadet.

i think drug users ought to put down, or at least thirty years in prison. I have no use for a dope head or one anywhere around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates