Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:04 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
How about a looney drunk flip out stabbing people...... that OK with you? Alcohol is the number one problem drug. Nothing else anywhere near. May be we should ban alcohol? Hang on.... it's been tried before. How did that work out?
According to the second post it worked out well and we should go back to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times
Because it makes way too much sense for this government to take action on it. That, and there are much more insidious reasons no action is being taken despite the utter failure of the war on drugs (government and police jobs, the private prison industry, booze and cig companies lobbying against legalization, etc). When the president admits that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol yet won't take any steps towards legalizing it or even moving it off it's schedule 1 perch(where it sits alongside stuff like heroin), you know something is up and there are ulterior motives at play and that citizens best interests are not in the forefront.

I think that the really bad stuff should remain illegal. The people already into it will continue to do it, but making crystal meth and heroin freely available is just not a good idea. Way too destructive and addictive, meth literally kills your brain. Plus the lions share of cartels and drug dealers business is marijuana.

Stuff like mushrooms and lsd should be legal. so few people have the urge to indulge in them, and they really can be an aide to people's lives. they make you see things very differently and can open you up to a new way of living that isn't toxic or harmful, but the opposite. There's a lot of love and togetherness and connection to nature and such stuff, and none of the "beat my parents and take their money for my next fix" stuff with hallucinogens.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:11 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
According to the second post it worked out well and we should go back to it.
That second post is pretty much the only time I've seen anyone suggest that Prohibition worked out well and that crime didn't rise during that time.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:30 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Police will have to protect and serve and not seize and confiscate any more. Not to mention poor DEA agents having to find other employment.
Exactly. The illegal drug business does not just make money for pushers. Lots of folks all over the world employed in this game. Right from Government officials, down to Prison Officers in their shiny new jails. If we carry on with this crazy 'war on drugs', there will never be enough jails...... we'll always need more. Time to call it a day, and stop throwing good money after bad.

The trouble is, where do we find officials brave enough to say "enough is enough. We need totally different thinking in how to deal with this problem." Lots of people in officialdom making a good living out of the 'drugs war.' They like things just the way they are.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:06 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
make all drugs legal with NO strings attached.
I used to say that too but I changed my opinion. The first string to be attached is quality control. Then we should keep heroin illegal but legalize less dangerous and euphoric painkillers that would be alternatives to heroin, keep methamphetamine illegal but legalize less euphoric stimulants like just amphetamine or others. Keep crack illegal since that drug is nothing but messing with your brain to make you happy.

But there is no reason why any of the psychedelics should be illegal.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:51 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That second post is pretty much the only time I've seen anyone suggest that Prohibition worked out well and that crime didn't rise during that time.
Actually, Prohibition Was a Success - NYTimes.com

Did Prohibition Really Work? Alcohol Prohibition as a Public Health Innovation

Old 02-23-2014, 09:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Except for you get crap drugs like Tylenol which are in everything and have repeatedly shown to cause liver damage. Tylenol should be banned from being mixed with any sort of drug.
Why ban it? You guys are saying legalize all drugs -- so if I want to use Tylenol and mix it with some other chemicals and make a more powerful drug -- why would you want to stop me?

I could make krokodil and make some easy money selling it -- it looks easy enough and let Darwinism run it's course.

I'm fine with legalizing every sort of drug and toxic substance you might want to make money selling to idiots if and only if all welfare programs and unemployment handouts are ended. NO money for free health care of drug users including the ER and ICU when they overdose. Let them make their own plans for rehab - using their own money.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:39 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Legalize it. If more people die from it then that's simply natural selection. Everybody knows drugs can kill you even children know this, so if you decide to use them you deserve anything that happens to you.

You don't touch a hot stove top on purpose because you know it will burn you. You shouldn't use drugs because it most likely will kill you.

I hear people say well people make mistakes. No. Using drugs is not a mistake it's a choice. You can't accidentally put a crack pipe to your mouth you CHOOSE to.

This may sound harsh to some but reality is harsh.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:42 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
I think legalization would only work if we made the penalties far more severe for selling to minors. It would be legal for people age 21 and above. It should always be something strictly for adults.

Most problem drug users started when they were very young.

It should also be something that we as a society make an ongoing assessment about. Obviously, if it does not work we would have to make changes.

In reality, I don't think it will ever happen for some harder drugs like cocaine, heroin, etc. Marijuana being legalized would not bother me. Use the tax revenue to help education funding.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:55 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why ban it? You guys are saying legalize all drugs -- so if I want to use Tylenol and mix it with some other chemicals and make a more powerful drug -- why would you want to stop me?

I could make krokodil and make some easy money selling it -- it looks easy enough and let Darwinism run it's course.

I'm fine with legalizing every sort of drug and toxic substance you might want to make money selling to idiots if and only if all welfare programs and unemployment handouts are ended. NO money for free health care of drug users including the ER and ICU when they overdose. Let them make their own plans for rehab - using their own money.
Because Tylenol is stuck in with other drugs and marketed as safe cold medicine or pain reliever. Drugs should never be mixed. People overdose and wreck their liver on Tylenol because its mixed in all the drugs they take. If that happened with any non big pharm drug, we'd have millions of soccer moms calling for it's banishment. If recreational drugs were mixed, it'd be bad too, say cocaine and heroin. And the little label doesn't aware the consumer enough of the risks of Tylenol.

Anybody have an opinion about legalizing amphetamine but keeping methamphetamine illegal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates