Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:58 AM

597 posts, read 1,443,351 times

Advertisements

These Men/Women gave their lives defending our streets. Protecting US! Where is the outrage over their deaths?

We are watching riots, race baiters and thugs loot stores and attack police over the death of a thug. If they had to work to support themselves, they wouldn't have time for this.

This is what being PC does to a country. Call them what they are, thugs!

If we don't respect the cops in this country and they have to flee for their lives if they shoot a thug, then we are all in very big trouble!

Teach your kids to not have babies out of marriage, get jobs, respect authority and have some dignity.

All we have done is empower these losers to roam the streets and act like wild animals and nothing will happen to them. As a matter of fact, they will be considered a victim and we will tell the cops how to do their job.

Shame on every single person who tries to tell a cop how to do his/her job. If you want to do that, then go to school, become a cop and walk in their boots.

Policemen/women 2014 Fatalities by State

California 8
Florida 4
New York 4
Texas 4
Virginia 4
Georgia 4
Indiana 3
Oklahoma 3
Alaska 2
Arizona 2
Louisiana 2
Massachusetts 2
Nevada 2
New Jersey 2
Tennessee 2
Alabama 1
Arkansas 1
Colorado 1
Illinois 1
Kentucky 1
Michigan 1
Minnesota 1
Mississippi 1
Montana 1
Nebraska 1
New Hampshire 1
North Carolina 1
Ohio 1
Oregon 1
Pennsylvania 1
Utah 1
Washington 1
Wisconsin 1

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-16-2014 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Removed color font
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 09:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
There has become quite the disparity between the police of yesteryear and those of today. Having had interaction with cops pretty much all my life I've seen a heck of a shift in how they think/act towards the public and how the public sees them.

When young you had better odds of being talked to/parents talked to and sent home than sent to jail. You had some odds that an "old time" cop would box your ears, give you a lecture then a kick in the butt towards home. Common sense and discretion of the officer ruled the day.

Now? Now you've got way greater odds of being at the minimum sent to jail.

Cops used to be approachable and would stand and talk with you.

Now? Hard to approach an armored vehicle or feel comfortable going up to a person dressed like they're about to invade a third world country.

There used to be cops walking a beat then it went to car patrol but most in their neighborhoods knew their neighborhood cops.

Now? You pretty much only see them when there's trouble,ticket,incident.

To give you a short answer, right or wrong for many it's become an "us vs them" mentality and neither side seems to care much about the other.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:22 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
These Men/Women gave their lives defending our streets. Protecting US! Where is the outrage over their deaths?

We are watching riots, race baiters and thugs loot stores and attack police over the death of a thug. If they had to work to support themselves, they wouldn't have time for this.

This is what being PC does to a country. Call them what they are, thugs!

If we don't respect the cops in this country and they have to flee for their lives if they shoot a thug, then we are all in very big trouble!

Teach your kids to not have babies out of marriage, get jobs, respect authority and have some dignity.

All we have done is empower these losers to roam the streets and act like wild animals and nothing will happen to them. As a matter of fact, they will be considered a victim and we will tell the cops how to do their job.
Where exactly is the great debate? Cops, on average, kill about 500 people a year. Some of the shootings were justified and some were not. Last year about 100 cops died, but only 33 of those were killed (31 shootings, 2 stabbings). I personally have no sympathy for a dead cop and probably won't have any sympathy as long as they roam the streets with an above the law attitude.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-16-2014 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Removed color font from quote

Old 08-16-2014, 10:57 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
It's interesting though, on the other hand, that we expect criminals to obey the rules and to NOT shoot cops... Aren't criminals the ones who don't care about the rules in the first place and that's why they are criminals?

I think that cops know that criminals can shoot them when they apply for a job. That's the risk of their job. We are grateful to them. Just like to firefighters who can get burned while saving another. Just like veterans who risked their lives for us. Life is full of dangers. And there are people who risk their lives for others. Good people. We should focus on the feeling of grateful, rather than the feeling of outraged. Grateful to those who gave their lives for us, rather than vengeful towards those who took those lives.

Being outraged is not really a good move. Anger never really solves problems, but only creates new ones. Understanding of what happens and why it happens this way is the key to a better life.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:51 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
A park ranger was beat up in Philadelphia today. He told these three hoodlums to stop skating in Love Park because it wasn't allowed. He was beaten and kept being beaten Moderator cut: - and he couldn't protect himself out of fear of retaliation. That's messed up. Someone that is in authority should NEVER be afraid of doing his job. I agree with the OP, our country has gone to pot when people give race baiters and thugs the time of day, yet the vilify authority figures for doing their jobs to protect citizens. Of course, there are cases where cops are out of line, but the fact that cops are getting killed outweigh the opposite, this is a problem!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-19-2014 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: Inflaming.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,209 times
Moderator cut: -

the whole premise of this thread is silly. Of course there is recognition (and plenty of outrage) when cops are killed:

Officer Down Memorial Page (ODMP)

There is also concern and outrage when everyday citizens are slain senselessly. Such a vigil is going on right now:

Slain gas station clerk remembered at vigil - baltimoresun.com

Ask the national media outlets why don't they choose to cover the stories of officers and ordinary citizens being killed?

But you certainly don't see a scenario in the case of Ferguson, MO for every person killed by police. I think the average rational American understands that the overwhelming majority of the hundreds of people killed by police each year were acting in aggression toward law enforcement and likely carrying deadly weapons.

However, as police protect and serve, they are held to a higher moral standard in America's communities. When swearing a solemn oath, it is an outrage to even consider that a police officer would kill somebody in cold blood. It cannot be denied that if a teacher is accused of molesting children or a doctor is accused of intentionally harming a patient there is also extensive media coverage. Certain occupations have heavy burdens of personal responsibility placed upon them.

This is why police officer candidates are put through rigorous and extensive psychological examinations:

How to pass your pre-employment psych screening without going nuts

Not everyone can encounter daily the worst elements of American society without wanting to kill them. Police officers, however, must have the ability to do so.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-19-2014 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote and direct response to it?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:38 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
A park ranger was beat up in Philadelphia today. He told these three hoodlums to stop skating in Love Park because it wasn't allowed. He was beaten and kept being beaten and he couldn't protect himself out of fear of retaliation. That's messed up. Someone that is in authority should NEVER be afraid of doing his job. I agree with the OP, our country has gone to pot when people give race baiters and thugs the time of day, yet the vilify authority figures for doing their jobs to protect citizens. Of course, there are cases where cops are out of line, but the fact that cops are getting killed outweigh the opposite, this is a problem!
First, that wasn't a cop, that was a park ranger. Moderator cut: - . Third, you are always allowed to defend yourself. Odds are the ranger just didn't have defensive training. Fourth, we take cops at their word in any court. Fifth, that has no bearing on OP's (rather weak) premise.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-19-2014 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: Edited quote and directed response to it

Old 08-18-2014, 09:52 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
First, that wasn't a cop, that was a park ranger. Third, you are always allowed to defend yourself. Odds are the ranger just didn't have defensive training. Fourth, we take cops at their word in any court. Fifth, that has no bearing on OP's (rather weak) premise.
Still, you shouldn't beat up someone of authority when that said person is trying to enforce rules. Laws and rules are there for a reason. Also, my one family member's in law enforcement and have known plenty of honest law people in my 25 years of life. Granted, after something bad happened to me in another county, they pretty much blamed me for what someone did (far from the truth). Was I angry? You bet. But, I know there are bad and good people in law everywhere. Just because I didn't feel justice at one point doesn't mean my faith in law enforcement is gone (though maybe it should be).

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-19-2014 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: Edited quote

Old 08-19-2014, 12:27 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Where exactly is the great debate? Cops, on average, kill about 500 people a year. Some of the shootings were justified and some were not. Last year about 100 cops died, but only 33 of those were killed (31 shootings, 2 stabbings).I personally have no sympathy for a dead cop and probably won't have any sympathy as long as they roam the streets with an above the law attitude.

"There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics." - Mark Twain

If the ratio is really 33/500 then this is a big problem. It is of course devastating when a cop dies on duty. It is also devastating when kids are killed by cops.

Its not a competition.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:14 AM

417 posts, read 445,236 times
According to statistics I have read, you are 8 times more likely to be killed by a cop in America then by a terrorist. Sorry if I don't shed a tear when a cop gets killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates