Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 10:56 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,714,341 times

Advertisements

One thing that I find a bit, errr, irksome, on this forum, is the way so many create multiple threads of the same subject and discussions already in existence.

Why?

Is it that important that people have to create yet another thread discussing the exact same thing?

Like Ebola, cripes, how many Ebola threads are there already. We have one discussing a doctor in New York that tested positive for Ebola, and someone decides to create another one.

Do people read the forum to see if there's an existing thread, or do they even care?

This isn't meant as a criticism of the forum moderators, but just posters who impulsively create threads of already existing topics.

I try to do things the 'right' way. For example, when Bergdahl was alive and about to be released, I searched all the way back to 2009 to find a thread about him, and posted there. Yet, in the coming weeks, dozens of new threads about Bergdahl kept popping up.

Alright, stepping off my high horse, good night.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:40 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,190,006 times

What you are saying is generally true for the site, but there are different guidelines for starting threads on related or similar topics in Great Debates.
1- As most of the regular participants of this forum will tell you, the parameters of what constitutes on and off-topic in Great Debates are much narrower than the site in general.
To use your own example of Ebola: On most of the site, nurses getting Ebola, euthanizing pets of Ebola victims, and the sending US troops to Liberia to combat Ebola would all fall under one thread with a title like "Ebola in Our Midst."

In Great Debates it might fall under three or more threads with titles like:
  • "Who is to Blame when Healthcare Workers Become Infected with Deadly Contagious Diseases Like Ebola"
  • "Should Healthcare Workers Infected with Deadly Infecteous Diseases Overseas, such as Ebola, be Allowed to Return to the USA for Treatment"
  • "Should the Government be Allowed to Seize and Destroy Pets of Ebola Victims"
  • "Is the US Constitutionally Justified in Sending Troops Over to Liberia for a Medical Mission?"
These are all distinct debates because, even though they all involve Ebola, there are very different points of reference that would support or repute a person's position on the topic. (Which is part of the reason for those strict on/off-topic rules, by the way.)
2- Because threads in this forum are supposed to be a debate, resurrecting threads over a year old is not encouraged.
  • The poster that is quoted may not even be around to respond to a rebuttal.
  • Facts and/or circumstances that were true when provided by posters earlier, may no longer be true..
  • Most of the current forum participants have not been following along as the thread develops and progresses, or they don't remember it, so they are less likely to take an interest in it.
  • Current forum participants are less likely to read old posts, so the chances of the same arguments being resurrected are likely.
3- Once threads reach a certain length people quit reading through all the previous posts. This leads to rehashing of what has already been written. This is why more threads are closed in this forum than others on the site. They aren't being closed because there is an issue with the topic but they have just reached the natural winding down of the debate. If some time has passed since the thread was closed and someone would like to re-try debating the topic, generally that will be allowed in this forum.
This might be a better topic for the About the Forum forum.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-24-2014 at 04:07 AM..

Old 10-24-2014, 08:30 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,851,961 times
Gee, I don't know. Maybe because every time they search, they (like me) get blown off the site and have to log in again?

Old 10-24-2014, 08:53 AM

24,536 posts, read 17,284,948 times
OldHag pretty much said it all.
I think people start similar threads because I find if a thread gets too long it gets off track and it is tough to comment on the original post because it gets lost. Plus with a situation like Ebola it has many people concerned and there are many angles and stories about it. Don't even get me going on politics.. LOL Everyone has an opinion with that subject.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:55 AM

29,526 posts, read 22,714,341 times
Fair enough, thanks for the explanations.

But I'm talking more about things like creating a new thread on the same topic. There's 2 on the doctor with Ebola, several on the Canada shooter. We don't need multiple threads on these.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:47 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,457,078 times
Because they are encouraged to by the "Most engaging poster contest" offering $500. I think it encourages a lot of garbage being posted and hoping to have people respond. It probably beats working!

Old 10-24-2014, 12:39 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,190,006 times

I really think, since I gather the OP is not just talking about Great Debates, it needs to be restarted in About the Forum.

THREAD CLOSED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates