Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:11 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Don't know which black NY women you are hearing. That very nasal old Jewish sound is actually archaic and dying in NYC. More in Long Island, and that is only maybe.
I know it's dying. What is your point? But it doesn't mean it hasn't existed. I still can't tell the difference between Black New Yorkers and White New Yorkers in voice unless I hear differences in slang.

The nasal thing wasn't even a sound that only Jews had. I heard Italian women with that same sound, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 09:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownGirl19 View Post
I have a black friend who's mother owns her own insurance agency. She has people of all races working in her office but won't hire anyone who has an obvious ethnic inflection to their voice. Her motto is that people shouldn't be able to determine your race when they talk to you on the phone. My friend told me her mom doesn't want potential customers being turned off if the rep they're dealing with sounds a "certain" way.
So if someone like me for instance who is Swedish, but lived here in the USA for 14 years, if I applied for a position at her insurance company, and she heard on my voice I had a slight Swedish/European accent, would I not get the job?

Old 11-01-2014, 11:38 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I know it's dying. What is your point? But it doesn't mean it hasn't existed. I still can't tell the difference between Black New Yorkers and White New Yorkers in voice unless I hear differences in slang.

The nasal thing wasn't even a sound that only Jews had. I heard Italian women with that same sound, too.

I assume when you say "black" you mean African American. Indeed the fact that you limit black NY accents and tone to that of AAs suggests that either you aren't a NYer or you left long ago. At least 40% of black NY is now Caribbean or African born. Black NYC is not what it was 40 years ago!

That nasal Jewish/Italian accent has NEVER been a feature of NYC African American English. Why would it be when black NYers have ALWAYS lived segregated from white NYers? So why would blacks immigrating from the South, the Caribbean or Africa pick up those "Ellis Island" accents?

Blacks do not speak through their noses, that being a key characteristic of white speech, becoming exaggerated among a certain generation of Jewish/Italian women.

Please don't tell me that you think that Denzil Washington sounds "white". He doesn't speak in vernacular. But he has a definite fullness in his tone which suggests that he isn't a white man.

Black men, regardless of accent, tend to have deeper and fuller tones than do white men, whose voices have a higher pitch and thinner tone. I suggest that you search for a black comedian mimicking white voices to get the differences.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So if someone like me for instance who is Swedish, but lived here in the USA for 14 years, if I applied for a position at her insurance company, and she heard on my voice I had a slight Swedish/European accent, would I not get the job?

No, but neither would most US born blacks, including those with advanced degrees.

Quote:
I don't know what city you're from. When I'm NYC everyone sounds nasally, even Blacks. I can't hear the difference between a Jewish woman and a Black woman in NYC unless I hear the word "tuchas"

Please help me here. Which part of NYC do you live, and what year did you leave because that Yiddish inflected English is DEAD, except I nursing homes. Even Jews no longer speak like that.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-01-2014 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Merge

Old 11-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
yes. Think about it. Distinctive races have thousands of years of in-group breeding. By the same token, I would think that mixed race folks have no racial trace in their voice.

Mixed race people speak like those around them. Puerto Ricans are mixed race and a whole bunch of them sound EXACTLY like a black American.

Indeed the nasality of white American speech isn't a feature in standard British English. In terms of sound (without regard to accent) I will put US/Canadian white men at one end, British white men in the middle, and US black men at the other end. This is why it is harder to distinguish differences in tone between UK born blacks and whites vs. those born in the USA. Linguists can discuss the origins of the very nasal white North American speech.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:26 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,507 times
Quote:
I don't know what city you're from. When I'm NYC everyone sounds nasally, even Blacks. I can't hear the difference between a Jewish woman and a Black woman in NYC unless I hear the word "tuchas"
In Texas, urban blacks either sound "neutral" or something similar to Midwestern blacks like those in St. Louis. It's harder to tell with whites here because so many are from other parts of the country.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:02 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
People of different cultures have different voices, not so-called races.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I assume when you say "black" you mean African American. Indeed the fact that you limit black NY accents and tone to that of AAs suggests that either you aren't a NYer or you left long ago. At least 40% of black NY is now Caribbean or African born. Black NYC is not what it was 40 years ago!

That nasal Jewish/Italian accent has NEVER been a feature of NYC African American English. Why would it be when black NYers have ALWAYS lived segregated from white NYers? So why would blacks immigrating from the South, the Caribbean or Africa pick up those "Ellis Island" accents?

Blacks do not speak through their noses, that being a key characteristic of white speech, becoming exaggerated among a certain generation of Jewish/Italian women.

Please don't tell me that you think that Denzil Washington sounds "white". He doesn't speak in vernacular. But he has a definite fullness in his tone which suggests that he isn't a white man.

Black men, regardless of accent, tend to have deeper and fuller tones than do white men, whose voices have a higher pitch and thinner tone. I suggest that you search for a black comedian mimicking white voices to get the differences.
I'm not exactly sure what you are wanting to accomplish with this post. I'm not from NY and maybe this is why all NYers sound the same to me. Call it nasally, call it New York, call it whatever. You keep harping on nasal sounding accents and all I am talking about is how Black New Yorkers (be it Caribbean or African) have the same accent as White New Yorkers. The segregation in NY was never to the same degree it was in a city like Chicago, where Blacks and Whites sound completely different. When I watched Do the Right Thing, Spike Lee and John Turturro sounded the same and in my opinion they still do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKUHRVCZ0As

When I hear Jadakiss or Styles P or Lil Kim, they have standard New York accents. Maybe you hear something consistent in all Black voices compared to White voices but I don't. I don't think "Denzil" Washington sounds White because there is no such thing as a White voice or a Black voice, as nobody in this thread has actually proven.

What the hell is "fuller" and "deeper" about Jay-Z's voice?? Or Spike Lee's for that matter?

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 11-03-2014 at 04:27 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Mixed race people speak like those around them. Puerto Ricans are mixed race and a whole bunch of them sound EXACTLY like a black American.

Indeed the nasality of white American speech isn't a feature in standard British English. In terms of sound (without regard to accent) I will put US/Canadian white men at one end, British white men in the middle, and US black men at the other end. This is why it is harder to distinguish differences in tone between UK born blacks and whites vs. those born in the USA. Linguists can discuss the origins of the very nasal white North American speech.
You think White Southerners sound nasal, too?

Old 11-03-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
No, but neither would most US born blacks, including those with advanced degrees.

Please help me here. Which part of NYC do you live, and what year did you leave because that Yiddish inflected English is DEAD, except I nursing homes. Even Jews no longer speak like that.
Yiddish inflected? NY English doesn't have to be Yiddish inflected and I never it was. New York English is primarily British and Dutch in its pronunciation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates