Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 05:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

I saw this post today on my online message board. And I was just so annoyed by it!

Quote:
"Does anybody own a Rich Dad Poor Dad Cashflow game that they'd like to sell me for a low price? Please - it needs to be in an excellent condition (smoke free home, animal air free, clean board and pieces etc) and complete set."
It seems so bizarre to me to want someone to help you out, and then put extraordinary specific terms on the agreement. Feels super entitled to me!

And it got me thinking about other similar examples. Many years ago I was staffing my company's tradeshow booth. We gave out mugs. Some people would come up and then ask if they could choose a specific color of the free mug, and be annoyed we didn't have multiple choices. I recall other vendors telling me the same thing!

Have you noticed an increase in entitled behavior in recent years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 05:54 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,963 times
Jade,
No.
i haven't noticed that at all.
By the way, the ad you mentioned didn't say he wanted it for free.
I don't really understand your post.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Jade,
No.
i haven't noticed that at all.
By the way, the ad you mentioned didn't say he wanted it for free.
I don't really understand your post.
I read that request as "I am too cheap to buy a new game, and I want a used one in perfect condition." That's not too reasonable in my book. Entirely different than looking around hoping to run into one at goodwill/garage sale etc.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
No, have not noticed, I do not think asking if there are options available is being entitled. If options are available, what is wrong with asking? Just because something is free, or something is wanted, does not now mean a person has to accept what is offered, or is not allowed to ask if their are options available.

If you were offering free cups, and I wanted a blue one and asked if you had a blue one, that is not being entitled. If all you had was red, I probably would not take one. Really, how many people need a free mug at a trade show? You act like you are doing them a favor, all you are doing is passing out free advertising for your company, with the entitled expectation people should jsut take your free advertisement without question.

What is being entitled is like what happened to the Passenger Pigeon; the thought that it is ok to decimate an animal species to the point of extinction to satisfy your own material desires. Entitlement is producing radioactive waste in which the only thing that can be done with it is to store it for future generations to deal with, just so you can have your cozy, material wealth driven lifestyle.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, have not noticed, I do not think asking if there are options available is being entitled. If options are available, what is wrong with asking? Just because something is free, or something is wanted, does not now mean a person has to accept what is offered, or is not allowed to ask if their are options available.
This was a blind request. No one was offering anything of the sort. The note was just randomly posted.
Quote:
If you were offering free cups, and I wanted a blue one and asked if you had a blue one, that is not being entitled. If all you had was red, I probably would not take one. Really, how many people need a free mug at a trade show? You act like you are doing them a favor, all you are doing is passing out free advertising for your company, with the entitled expectation people should jsut take your free advertisement without question.
There is no expectation that you have to take my cup or stop at my booth. These "entitled" people overwhelming had zero need or connection for my businesses services. They showed up to get free stuff only. They didn't even want to find out what the company did. They walked up, expecting a blue cup, and got annoyed there was no free blue cup.

I've always assumed when stuff is free you can't be picky. You should be grateful and expect nothing. So yes, I do find it pretty strange to have really specific requirements for free stuff, and then being annoyed if it isn't available.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I've always assumed when stuff is free you can't be picky. You should be grateful and expect nothing. So yes, I do find it pretty strange to have really specific requirements for free stuff, and then being annoyed if it isn't available.
This is not true at all. An item being free is merely your asking price, that has nothing to do with a potential "buyer" evaluating the product. And while the price can and does determine the extent of evaluating the product, it does not mean no evaluation is required and a person should just accept it.

If someone is offering something for free, I have to evaluate if I want the item, can I use the item, will I use the item, what other costs are associated with this item, etc. For example, if someone offered me a car for free, I have to evaluate;

- Where to put it (I have only one parking space for my condo).
- How much extra tags and insurance are going to cost.
- Why is it free? Does it need expensive repairs?
- If it ran just fine, will I ever use it? Or do I just sell it right away?

But if someone was offering a cup;

- Is the cup even interesting to get? I have a cup from the FBI, but I would decline getting one from Gieco.
- Is the cup cool looking, or is it gawdy where I would never use it?
- Will I use it, or just toss it? I am one of those that make an effort not to waste.
- Would I use it if it had a nice color available? If I thought a red one was rather lackluster, but a nice aqua would be nice to use, why not just ask if they have that color?

Trade shows and career events are all about getting free stuff, you have no idea what a person is thinking behind the scenes when they ask for something, they may follow up later, be testing the first impression, etc.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:49 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I saw this post today on my online message board. And I was just so annoyed by it!

It seems so bizarre to me to want someone to help you out, and then put extraordinary specific terms on the agreement. Feels super entitled to me!

And it got me thinking about other similar examples. Many years ago I was staffing my company's tradeshow booth. We gave out mugs. Some people would come up and then ask if they could choose a specific color of the free mug, and be annoyed we didn't have multiple choices. I recall other vendors telling me the same thing!

Have you noticed an increase in entitled behavior in recent years?
I don't see anything that I would call acting "entitled" in that ad. The poster just knows exactly what they want and stated that. I thought they missed saying they wanted a "sterile" one. lol I mean, no "animal air"?? Really. You never know though, someone may have one! I still don't see how it could be construed as "entitled" though. Just realllllly picky.

I used to work trade and travel shows here in AZ. People come for the freebies and that's a fact. One vendor gives away the bags and the rest fill them up. lol I don't recall anyone ever getting bent because we didn't have a color, etc. they might want. Disappointed, maybe, but not annoyed or aggravated.

I work in retail. Yes, I HAVE seen 'some' sense of "entitlement" but not a lot. Most folks are pretty accepting of what they can and can't have. Those that aren't probably will find a way to wheedle themselves into getting what they want.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:03 PM

372 posts, read 599,772 times
People are becoming more entitled. There is nothing wrong with taking freebies at special events like festivals, concerts, etc or anywhere else. But my post is more about people in general.

Just look at our Black Friday tradition here in the US. This says it all, really. Right after a day that is all about being thankful of what you have is a day all about wasting your day away in a line to get 20% off something that will be deemed not good enough in probably less than 5 months. Every year there is news about fights, shootings, and even murders on Black Friday.

Stores like Macys are opening even earlier on Thanksgiving day. These stores are run by cashiers and sales associates, aka people. Not robots. They have to work on holidays and spend less time with their families, for what? So entitled customers can get their hands on the newest iPhone/iPad because the previous one is not good enough anymore.

It is pretty clear that your average American would rather spend time with their smartphone than their family.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:22 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
Absolutely more entitlement. When have you last heard, "beggars can't be choosers?" They now can be and are.

One story to share:

There was an ad in my local craiglist from a parent of an autistic kid who took apart his bed and declared he would only sleep in a futon. "No money. Please help!" Fine.

I write to her, give her the dimensions and a good description of my futon. It's on the third floor. She writes back demanding picts and someone to help her carry the item! I suggested he son who obviously is capable of such things. My description was stellar as was the item and did not feel I should waste my time taking pictures and uploading for her.

She was relentless in hounding me for picts for weeks despite me being firm that she wasn't getting any but the item was excellent and waiting for her. Her last email was an angry one weeks later telling me she got a futon from someone else who sent her picts.

Ridiculous thought process. Not to mention (if her story was even real) her son was sleeping on the floor for 2 weeks while she got the "perfect and free" futon.

I still do not think beggars should be choosers. They are opposite concepts.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:40 AM

778 posts, read 824,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
People are becoming more entitled. There is nothing wrong with taking freebies at special events like festivals, concerts, etc or anywhere else. But my post is more about people in general.

Just look at our Black Friday tradition here in the US. This says it all, really. Right after a day that is all about being thankful of what you have is a day all about wasting your day away in a line to get 20% off something that will be deemed not good enough in probably less than 5 months. Every year there is news about fights, shootings, and even murders on Black Friday.

Stores like Macys are opening even earlier on Thanksgiving day. These stores are run by cashiers and sales associates, aka people. Not robots. They have to work on holidays and spend less time with their families, for what? So entitled customers can get their hands on the newest iPhone/iPad because the previous one is not good enough anymore.

It is pretty clear that your average American would rather spend time with their smartphone than their family.
I think that's less about entitlement and more about capitalism/consumerism. I guess you could say the companies feel they're entitled to more profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates