Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,216 times

Advertisements

Do you think a felony should stay on a person's record after he has served his time or completed probation? I don't think it should. I think the court system keeps people down. If a person serves his time and learns from his mistake, why should he have a felony on his record forever? He's basically screwed. He will never be able to get a decent job and probably commit more crimes. I just think it's so unfair. The government should at least not let employers see these felonies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,304 times
Here's the thing about felons, if they are currently out of prison and have successfully completed their probation/parole, then I believe that no matter what the felony, it shiould be wiped off their record. this is because if they are free, then they have done the time that a judge (who people vote in) deems is satisfactory to pay for the crime that they commited. Just because someone is a felon does NOT mean that they are a bad person. most people think that when someone gets out odf prison, they are still a bad person or hae gotten even worse...in some cases, this is true..but in some cases, the people have actually taken the time they were given and made the best of it and made themselves a better person.

Is it easier to judge a felon as a bad person and not be willing to trust them or give them oppurtunities most normal people could have? Of course it is easier. but is it the right thing to do? No. Everyone has made mistakes. some people should be felons but arent just because they didnt get caught. And victims? if they're really hurting that bad, chances are they had their day in court to have closer and alot of times, judeges will order the convict to pay restitution to the victim for them to go to counseling.

I'm saying all this as a convicted felon. It was a violent charge. but no one was really hurt all that bad. I grew from my experiences. I was young and stupid. I am definatly a better person today. I have an amazing family and good job. When people look at me, they would never have guessed i am a "felon". so yeah...forgivness is key...if someone screws up and gets a felony and gets out of prison and is a better person, then they without a doubt, deserve to rejoin society as an equal to everyone else. otherwise, they turn into a victim of societys unjust unforgivness...when a felon is sentenced, their punishment is them "paying their debt to society", but when the debt has been paid, society still holds it against them...think about it people...

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-02-2014 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Clarity.....

Old 11-02-2014, 12:14 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Do you think a felony should stay on a person's record after he has served his time or completed probation? I don't think it should. I think the court system keeps people down. If a person serves his time and learns from his mistake, why should he have a felony on his record forever? He's basically screwed. He will never be able to get a decent job and probably commit more crimes. I just think it's so unfair. The government should at least not let employers see these felonies.
I think it should be based on a "point system" - different classes of felony get a different number of points - for instance 100/50/25/12/6/3/1 for A/B/C/D/E/F/G. Each year without a crime removes 1 point, until you get to zero. If you have zero points then your criminal record should not be available except to law enforcement and any federal government work requiring a high level security clearance.

Everyone is of course born with zero points (clean slate). Let's say someone commits a class D felony, and then 3 years later a class C felony. They'd first get 12 points, which would go down to 9, then they add 25 points. If they do not commit any more crimes for 34 years, their records will be unavailable.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:10 PM

92 posts, read 101,817 times
I think it depends on violent vs. non-violent felonies. Non-violent ones should be removed from a person's record after they serve their time, point…blank...period.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:14 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,232,472 times
Depends entirely on the crime. Jodie arias if she ever gets out? Uh....no......Scott Peterson? Doubtful......2nd degree murder? First degree? No way.....some guy that got caught up in a bar fight and someone was severely injured and was involved in the melee? Borderline. Some ******* that got caught with a pound of weed and was 20? Yeah, wipe it so long as he keeps his nose clean.

BUT, if he gets caught selling a pound of weed again? Bring it up in court only and nail him. Make sense?

Old 11-18-2014, 07:19 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,891 times
No. As long as the person who did the crime learned from their mistake and don't reoffend. All a record does is put a ceiling on a persons quality of life. Everything short of murder should be forgiven if a person is willing to better their life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post

It keeps people down because we long ago made our law System for-profit at its core. The more people you catch, prosecute, and house in jail even for the pettiest of acts, the more cash gets put in the pockets of local businesses and the more you sell the population on the you better not mess up mentality.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-19-2014 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: Merge and fixed formatting

Old 11-18-2014, 07:49 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
No. As long as the person who did the crime learned
from their mistake and don't reoffend. All a record does
is put a ceiling on a persons quality of life. Everything
short of murder should be forgiven if a person is
willing to better their life.
And just who determines if the person learned from their crime? Just how do you know the person won't do it again until they do? Almost all crimes are committed as a result of a choice to do it, not something that just happens to someone. I bet most victims of crimes disagree with you.

Interesting that you call committing a crime a "mistake".

Just how does one commit a felony by mistake? Can you cite some examples of someone committing a felony by mistake?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-19-2014 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: Removed blue font

Old 11-18-2014, 08:00 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
And just who determines if the person learned from their crime? Just how do you know the person won't do it again until they do? Almost all crimes are committed as a result of a choice to do it, not something that just happens to someone. I bet most victims of crimes disagree with you.

Interesting that you call committing a crime a "mistake".

Just how does one commit a felony by mistake? Can you cite some examples of someone committing a felony by mistake?

Felonies especially in today's world are easy to commit by error. All it takes is being in the wrong place or dealing with deceitful people.

And just put a tracking bracelet on a offender for maybe 10 years. That's how you can determine who will reoffend
or not.

Anything that's not murder can easily be a "mistake" if its the first offense,first time it happened.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-19-2014 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: Please fix your formatting

Old 11-18-2014, 08:12 PM

92 posts, read 101,817 times
Quote:
It keeps people down because we long ago made our law
System for-profit at its core. The more people you catch,
prosecute, and house in jail even for the pettiest of
acts, the more cash gets
put in the pockets of
local businesses and the
more you sell the population on the you better not mess
up mentality.
…..and judges, unfortunately. Pennsylvania Judge Gets 'Life Sentence' For Prison Kickback Scheme - Forbes

Old 11-18-2014, 09:01 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:
No. As long as the person who did the crime learned
from their mistake and don't reoffend. All a record does
is put a ceiling on a persons quality of life. Everything
short of murder should be forgiven
if a person is
willing to better their life.
Quote:
Felonies especially in today's world are easy to commit
by error. All it takes is being in the wrong place or
dealing with deceitful people.

And just put a tracking bracelet on a offender for maybe
10 years. That's how you can determine who will reoffend
or not.

Anything that's not murder can easily be a "mistake" if its
the first offense,first time it happened.
Felonies are not "easy to commit". Sorry, they are not! Choose your friends wisely and use common sense.

So child abuse can be a mistake?
Rape can be a mistake?
Sex crimes against children can be a mistake?
Embezzling money can be a mistake?
Assault can be a mistake?
THIS was a mistake?

I think the convicted criminal should actually serve what they are sentenced to. Sentenced to 25 years? Then serve 25 years, not a percentage of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates