Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 02:45 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpette View Post
What you are saying is misguided.

It's not that its seen as bad not to give blacks preference, but to not provide them with an opportunity simply because they are black. Very different. The reason: black unemployment rate is twice that of whites and has been for years. Clearly there is some discrimination going on.

Whites are rarely if ever penalized for being white. Very much to the contrary. It's blacks (and other people of color) who are often the ones penalized for NOT being white.

I can't remember the last time I was ever given preference just for being black, but I have had racial epithets thrown at me, I have been assumed to be a criminal when I'm not, I have been asked why I'm in a certain place minding my own d*** business, and I have been questioned when I went to make a purchase as to whether a credit card was actually mine (and I am a normal looking black woman, who dressed well and has a good job).

I doubt you can say the same has happened to you.
Just turn on the news and you will see why people should be cautious with so much vilence and drugs taking over peaceful communities.

Many are also aware of the non-white hiring prefernces resulting in the uqualified getting jobs instead of qualification based hiring.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:15 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I think we are all aware that racism does exist in this country.

However, does anyone think that cries of racism come in situations that aren't racist at all?

For example, I was looking up "Darius Rucker" because I enjoy his music, and here are a few gems that I came across:

‘Total fail': Viewers snipe over Darius Rucker singing ‘White Christmas’ at Rock Center | Twitchy

Darius Rucker Gets Heat For Singing 'White Christmas'

So basically, when Darius Rucker performed "White Christmas" at the Rockefeller Center, people somehow assumed that it was race-related or saw it in bad taste.

Personally, in my opinion, things like this are silly. I think they make the accusers look ridiculous (and frankly, racist, if they are seeing things like classic Christmas songs as a "black vs. white" type of thing), and I feel bad for people like Darius Rucker -- a talented musician who did a beautiful job of singing a classic Christmas carol.

Thoughts?

It is silly, and yes there are times when people call out "racism" when the situation could not be further from the truth. The scenario you pointed out is one fine example. Other examples include a minority complaining of racism when they lose out a job to a white individual. Perhaps the white applicant was more qualified than the black/Asian, etc applicant?

The reverse is also true, where as a white or dominant racial group will not like the results and accuse them of being "politically correct" or "reverse racism". One example was a discussion on the internet in regards to a woman who won the Miss Canada Beauty Pageant. This young lady happened to be of Iranian descent, and this assumingly White gentleman was angry about her winning and said it was due to political correctness and that if we were to be more honest, than a Canadian of European descent would have won.
Well he was wrong, maybe that young woman had a better look and personality.

My point is yes, there are many instances of this, but just because you are not happy, does not make it racist.

Same with sexism.

Anyways this was a long post, so I will leave you all with this from the 1990's since I like Darius Rucker and Hootie and the Blowfish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=REGPO7qnzAI

Old 03-19-2015, 04:11 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
No, never.

Every single person on the planet is perfectly reasonable and rational.

Thank god for it, because if someone actually did cry racism without just cause the entire phenomenon of racism would immediately cease to exist... and then we wouldn't have anything to fight for.

This is my greatest fear.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I think we are all aware that racism does exist in this country.

However, does anyone think that cries of racism come in situations that aren't racist at all?

For example, I was looking up "Darius Rucker" because I enjoy his music, and here are a few gems that I came across:

‘Total fail': Viewers snipe over Darius Rucker singing ‘White Christmas’ at Rock Center | Twitchy

Darius Rucker Gets Heat For Singing 'White Christmas'

So basically, when Darius Rucker performed "White Christmas" at the Rockefeller Center, people somehow assumed that it was race-related or saw it in bad taste.

Personally, in my opinion, things like this are silly. I think they make the accusers look ridiculous (and frankly, racist, if they are seeing things like classic Christmas songs as a "black vs. white" type of thing), and I feel bad for people like Darius Rucker -- a talented musician who did a beautiful job of singing a classic Christmas carol.

Thoughts?
Oh I agree with you 100%- and from two different approaches.
First, like you said about the singer- when people can't even use normal words because of this "PC" nonsense. An example: friends who live in the South told me a person doesn't dare order 'black coffee' in restaurants!
Second, amongst what might be called game-players, if you don't cooperate with what an individual wants, they claim you're a racist.

Frankly, I think the entire subject has become nonsense- it's not usually difficult to spot a racist by attitudes and behaviors, and how a person orders coffee or not giving money to panhandlers isn't it.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:07 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Brilliant lesson in my post #23. The C-D site automatically supplied asterisks for the totally non-racist word in question, which I had spelled out.

No wonder so many people can thumb their noses and snig ger at real racism.
That's a limitation of technology. The bad word filter in the software just matches a pattern of letters. Not what a word means.. A 'loose' filter of the word prick (Which I'm hoping isn't on the bad word list here) would block it if I said "You are a prick" or if I said "I pricked my finger"

So, the options are to block prick entirely(block prick is probably OK, but **** block probably gets blocked), whether it's part of another word or not and go overboard, or set it to an EXACT filter, which would mean prick would be blocked, but prickly would not.. Which leaves it open for someone to type "You are a prick-a" and get it past the filters. And, let's not forget the null character ALT-255, which is always fun to guard against.

Bad word filters.. It's tough.. So.. They have to make a decision on do we let this word through in any form? For that word, answer was no.. Judgement call. One I'd have to agree with because, seriously, how many times a day is *****rdly used in normal conversation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I think you're doing your son a disservice by teaching him that racism only happens in some groups.
Or that it only happens between certain groups. You want to see racist people? Koreans and blacks. There's two races who really don't like each other. Yeah, that's stereotypical and could be considered racist that I'm pointing it out.. But.. Seriously.. There's often bad blood between those two groups.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:16 AM

490 posts, read 659,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Happened to every race/group on earth...Like I said Greece (a "white" European country) was colonized by Arab Turks for nearly 350 years (a longer period of time than ANY African country was colonized by White Western Europeans) does that mean that Greeks get to whine non stop for the next thousands years? No it's the past and they have moved on and gotten over it....Blacks should do the same thing....

Lol at the "internment camps" that's another good one....You should see what the Japanese army did during WW2 to the Chinese/Korean civilians when they invaded China....it makes the interment camps look like a walk in the park....

If you take an honest and unbiased look at history....the US and Whitey in general haven't even done that many bad things relative to what other countries/races/groups have done....Yet the crimes of the US and Whitey are ALL the Left wingers harp on non stop 24/7....
I think you're getting colonized and enslaved mixed up. There is a definite difference.

Also, of the Black's who are angry at whites, it isn't directly because of slavery. It's the way that post-slavery society has formed. Whites holding an in-proportionate amount of the wealth/power. The negative attitudes towards dark skin as a result of slavery. White privilege, etc...

Lol you also sound extremely ignorant trying to justify slavery. "Hey, Black people never even had it that bad! They should be thankful Whitey never raped their women(Whites did) like the Japs did in China. Why are they even mad again? We gave them a purpose!"

Old 03-20-2015, 01:11 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
As far as racism against blacks in the US and the cry of racism, a lot of people say that many groups were oppressed throughout history and some had it even worse than blacks in America. This is true, for example the Irish in America were actually the first slaves and they were treated very badly. Here's the thing that is different though, the effects of racism against blacks are still felt in society today, at least far more than any other group in this country. It's not only institutionalized racism, it's also lack of educational opportunities, less household wealth, segregation. These are the residual affects of slavery, ex. it's been shown how wealthy you are has a direct correlation with how wealthy your descendants are. I think the best we can all do is realize racism exists and try to combat it and at the same time realize that racism isn't always to blame for ones shortcomings. It's a balancing act, and unfortunately it seems that there will always be a divide between people based on their backgrounds on what is racism and what isn't.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:02 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpette View Post
What you are saying is misguided.

It's not that its seen as bad not to give blacks preference, but to not provide them with an opportunity simply because they are black. Very different. The reason: black unemployment rate is twice that of whites and has been for years. Clearly there is some discrimination going on.
The unemployment rate is twice as high - but then so is the high school dropout rate. Black people generally go to poorer schools and generally come from families with lower educational attainment, as a result, they have lower educational attainment. It's the same for anyone of any background. If you come from a family that doesn't put an emphasis on education and studying you're not going to pull that out of thin air. Someone has to teach it to you. Networks are also hugely important in getting hired. It's all about who you know and if you don't know many of the pale people who make up 2/3 of the population it's probably going to cut your odds of finding a job.

Not saying that discrimination doesn't happen but I think education and networks play a much larger role in employment than the bigot who doesn't want to hire the black guy.

Quote:
I can't remember the last time I was ever given preference just for being black, but I have had racial epithets thrown at me, I have been assumed to be a criminal when I'm not, I have been asked why I'm in a certain place minding my own d*** business, and I have been questioned when I went to make a purchase as to whether a credit card was actually mine (and I am a normal looking black woman, who dressed well and has a good job).

I doubt you can say the same has happened to you.
All of those things have happened to me - on multiple occasions and have happened to most white men I know. Guess what also happens to me - women give me a wide berth in elevators and sometimes clutch their handbags. People sometimes cross the street when they see me coming. When i had less gray hair I was routinely stopped and questioned by police and asked really dumb questions like "why are you here?" Assuming that they only happen to you - and only happen to you because you're black is, well:

con·fir·ma·tion bi·as
noun
the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:19 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
Do People Cry Racism in Non-Racist Situations?

Moderator cut: against forum guidelines YES people are very "race" sensitive these days. Especially black perceiving white. Whenever you see a white on black police incident these days it is ALWAYS assumed that the police are racist. The very few instances that white on black crimes occur and are reported it is ALWAYS assumed there is hate involved. Not so the other way around. Quite frankly a LOT of people are past sick and tired of the one-sidedness. What a way to divide a country and keep them divided and fighting with each other.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-20-2015 at 07:29 PM..

Old 03-20-2015, 06:44 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Racism does exist because everyone is a race and everyone will feel more comfortable around people of his or her race and like his or her race more because it is only natural and a matter of biological survival that one does so. What sucks is everyone is proud to be black, Asian or arab and everyone says they want to look out for their communities and have their own businesses which hires their own people but only whites are blasted for saying the same things.

And it has become ingrained in the public that it is bad for whites not to give blacks preference in jobs, schooling and etc so as not to seem racist; blacks will get special favor because they are black, which actual means that they can't do it on their own without whites helping them out.

Since I realize this bs of how whites are penalized for being white and want to counter it I do the opposite and give the antiwhites no business and no work. Of course when I can't control it like which waiter I get or which delivery person or etc I treat fairly and tip the same. And never do I support police abuse and the enforcement of abusive laws.
That's not always the case. You can't box all white people together, and some of us have a lot of that pride too. Italians, Irish, Greek, Polish, Ukranian/Russian, etc. have lots of pride, look out for their communities, have business/restaurants that tend to hire more of their own, have parades/street festivals, and they don't get bashed/criticized for it. Are you mad at these groups too?

If you are equally mad with white ethnic groups that do this as well, then ok. It's just interesting that you pointed out all other races who do this without including white groups who do the same thing. You can't box all whites together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates