Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:04 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingSun361 View Post
From what I'm reading in the news, it sounds like most of the students are 16, 17, 18 and sometimes of legal age in their state. The teacher is in her early 20's. The relationship is usually consensual. Sending them to jail seems like a really barbaric and draconian punishment to me.
Not offended.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:42 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
My thoughts are that if an under aged student is the only thing available to the teacher, then it's time to look for another job.

I can't imagine someone with good sense risking job,etc. for a quick fix, no matter how mature the student may seem to be.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:09 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:
From what I'm reading in the news, it sounds like most of the students are 16, 17, 18 and sometimes of legal age in their state. The teacher is in her early 20's. The relationship is usually consensual. Sending them to jail seems like a really barbaric and draconian punishment to me.
I am 19 and I think it is gross.
Most of the time , they are not in 20's.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:29 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I don't think it's the age difference so much as the role a teacher plays in s student's life. It's supposed to be professional. And with the legal age of consent being 18 in most places, it IS considered statutory rape. How would you feel about a male teacher having sex with a female student? The same? Or is there a double standard here?

If there is a strong attraction between the two, the teacher, being in the adult role, should be mature enough to wait until the student graduates and a relationship is more appropriate.
Agreed, it's not about "equivalent age", as it is about the total lack of professionalism, and the violation of trust we place in teachers to safely care for our children.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:24 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
This is tricky...I know of 3 teachers, all male, that were MAJORLY seduced by the girl.
Stalked, persistently...placing her hand on their privates....knocking on their
door on Sunday alone at home...she was my best friend in High School a year older than me.
I was the only one that knew.
Kept the secret for everyone involved.
I was a junior at the time. She class senior prez. Very popular!
Guess she was a bit over sexed...I would have fought against them going to jail somehow.
She was relentless. 2 fell in love.
One fought it, he knew better after the first slip.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:06 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
I have to agree with you.

I guess it stems from the primitive idea that sex is "evil" or "sinful".

16 year olds are the most sexually active people I know. A lot of of older women get hit on by 15-16 year old boys. In high school, for instance, we had a very attractive female teacher. All the horny 15-16 y/o boys sat around her, checked out her bottom, flirted, and she actually liked it (Lol). These little 'angelic' people are NOT innocent. This also includes teenage girls.

Look, I'm 22. My boyfriend is 17 (turning 18). Am I considered a predator? The idea of this sounds so insulting and offensive to me. We are both in a consenting relationship. Thankfully, in AUS, the age of consent is 16. But I guess, in some other countries I am a "pedophile". Laughable.

Last edited by Ethereal; 03-19-2015 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 09:45 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Look, I'm 22. My boyfriend is 17 (turning 18). Am I considered a predator? The idea of this sounds so insulting and offensive to me. We are both in a consenting relationship. Thankfully, in AUS, the age of consent is 16. But I guess, in some other countries I am a "pedophile". Laughable.
If you were dating my son who was 17 years old, I would do my best to press charges against you. No offense but you're a borderline child predator.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Teacher, psychiatrist, jail guard, cop, drill sergeant. None of these people should be having sex with someone under their control, least of all with a minor child.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:52 PM

84 posts, read 79,872 times
I agree with you, OP - in circumstances where the student was a willing party. Depending on the situation the teacher should perhaps receive disciplinary action, maybe even be fired. But jail? That's ridiculous. What a waste of tax dollars to send someone to jail for what amounts to a bad decision.

To the 22 year-old with a 17 year-old boyfriend - I see nothing wrong with your situation. In Australia, Canada, and many European nations the law sees nothing wrong with it either. A 17 year-old and 22 year-old can be peers in a lot of cases - say, working at a part-time job or even attending university together. In the vast majority of cases there's nothing predatory at all about that dynamic. Pressing charges for that is an over-the top reaction to what in all likelihood is a healthy sexual relationship.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:53 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post

I guess it stems from the primitive idea that sex is "evil" or "sinful".

Are you the boy's teacher? I hope not.

The reason teacher-student sex is taboo, is that there's too much of a chance for the relationship to be coercive since teacher has power over the student. Sorry if that's too subtle for you to grasp. Maybe when you're older you'll understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates