Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:07 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,329,597 times

Advertisements

Just as the Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on race or skin color, I was thinking, should it also be expanded to include clothing type or color?

I personally think it should. For example, I think it should be illegal for businesses to discriminate against or stereotype men who wear pink shirts, since honest people know that most men who wear pink are not gay.

What does anyone here think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 09:31 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
Businesses discriminate against/stereotype men who wear pink shirts?

Pink and salmon were hot colors for boys/men to wear in the late 80's early 90's when I was in HS and college - now it's just the color of a shirt. It's everywhere. Did something change in the past few decades in Arizona?

Fashion is fashion - as it is now, in NYC, I don't understand men who have caved to the trend of wearing the too tight suit jacket and the too tight matching suit pants at ankle length (no matter how fit they are). Looks uncomfortable, is uncomfortable.

These too tight/too short suits are for the trendy and "fashion conscious" - not a sexual preference. It's the most recent trend. I think it looks dumb. Kinda like those ridiculous platform shoes that can't stop coming back season after season after season..…I'm so glad I got out of the work force before those ankle-breakers became the go-to-shoe.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:46 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,998 times
I didn't realize it was a problem. Frankly, when I read the title I just assumed this would be a head scarf thread; I was surprised to see what the content actually was.

And no, I don't think that needs to be law. People should just know not to be unreasonable. But there are limitations. If someone goes in for a job interview with their pants sagging or wearing a bathing suit, that person shouldn't be protected by an act of congress saying they can where whatever they like and no one can treat them differently.

Dress for the job you want, right?

Old 06-14-2015, 10:02 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I didn't realize it was a problem. Frankly, when I read the title I just assumed this would be a head scarf thread; I was surprised to see what the content actually was.

And no, I don't think that needs to be law. People should just know not to be unreasonable. But there are limitations. If someone goes in for a job interview with their pants sagging or wearing a bathing suit, that person shouldn't be protected by an act of congress saying they can where whatever they like and no one can treat them differently.

Dress for the job you want, right?
I thought this was going to be about sagging pants. Aren't some places trying/have tried to make laws against sagging pants?

I get what you're saying OP, but this would be tricky. I don't think businesses should be able to kick people out or deny them service because of their clothes, but as TheDusty points out, it would be inappropriate to wear a tank top and jean shorts to your law firm. Maybe if the law were written like that, customers can dress how they please, but companies can have and enforce dress codes on employees, then maybe it could work??

I think the real issue is discrimination/bigotry under the guise of preventing inappropriate dress. Head scarves target Muslims, sagging pants target black youth, men wearing dresses target transvestites, women wearing suits or other masculine clothes targert lesbians, pink shirts target gay men (though I personally don't see that as a "gay" trend).

Old 06-14-2015, 10:35 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Just as the Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on race or skin color, I was thinking, should it also be expanded to include clothing type or color?

I personally think it should. For example, I think it should be illegal for businesses to discriminate against or stereotype men who wear pink shirts, since honest people know that most men who wear pink are not gay.

No, I think it is ok to have a socially appropriate dress code. Personally, I don't want to see any of my coworkers nude or in a string bikini or underwear or pajamas, tank top, and filthy hair or barefoot or anything outrageous. I also don't want to see people wearing attire that espouses something like being a gang member or their political or religious beliefs or anything nasty.

I'm ok with socially appropriate attire.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:19 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,229 times
I support equality for LGBTQ individuals to marry who they want and not be discriminated for jobs, housing, goods or services. But when I have gone to events to show support, it gives me pause when it seems I also have to support the right of drag queens in G strings to march down city streets, stopping to strike suggestive poses for photos. I really don't support that.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:23 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:

The Civil Rights Act offers no protection on the basis of sexual orientation, period. That is what an expansion should encompass - not some ludicrous focus on the color of clothing.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:00 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,644 times
Quote:

Do you mean wearing a pink shirt in rotation with other shirts, or do you mean as a champion of pink shirt wearing who wouldn't be caught dead in anything but a pink shirt?

And yes, most men who wear pink shirts aren't gay, but I'm not sure about men who NEED to wear pink shirts.

...not that there is anything wrong with that!

Old 06-15-2015, 08:49 AM

24,473 posts, read 17,211,031 times
You should dress for success.

If your definition of success is working at a convenience store then you probably don't need to wear a suit.
If you measure success by being the best drug dealer on the corner then sure why not wear your pants with your butt hanging out and your hat on crooked.

If I was in need of a lawyer I would rather he show up to court in a suit than a bathing suit and tank top.

It is all relative but dress for success is a good tip.

Recently there was a case where a woman sued because she was fired from her job for wearing a headscarf. She won because the head scarf was part of her religious belief.
How about a muslim woman in a full burka posing for a drivers license photo or other photo ID?

I suppose in our crazy world a fat woman could sue if she were fired because she had to wear pants but she couldn't get out of her moo moo.
A smart lawyer (in a sharp suit) could argue that this is a case of discriminating against someone with a disability...

In the OP's case he wants to wear pink which is fine when appropriate. I don't think clothing needs to be a civil right.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:22 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,272,272 times
all things being equal.. I would strongly suggest , that Dress for the job and might I remind you, the Owner or the Corp is in the driver seat for dress codes.. If you Dont like what they Dictate? Start your own company or just move on and NEXT TIME ask if Pink Shirts / Sonny Crockett 80's fashion is acceptable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates