Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,987,037 times

Advertisements

When immigration laws were adhered too.
Immigration laws were respected.
When, how, and why did all this change, and who is responsible for the changes?

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 02:59 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,247,343 times
For this country, the change happened just 1607 at Jamestown and/or 1620 at Plymouth Rock. The reason for the change was a virus (theorized to have originally spread from Spanish slave labor camps, also theorized to be the reason Spanish forces were actually able to form slave labor camps) spread through the Native Americans and decimated the population. An estimated 90-95% of the total population was wiped out in the 16th century, clearing the way for the illegal immigrants to settle at the beginning of the 17th century.

Before this TEOTWAWKI event, Native American societies strictly enforced a no-immigrant policy. Vikings tried to settle what they called Vinland in 1007, but they only lasted three years before the natives kicked their butts out. They kicked out the Vikings! The only reason the Pilgrims were able to survive 600 years later was because the natives were all already dead.

On the other hand, if this is a "all the illegal immigrants are causing all the problems" thread, then the change happened when the USA went from an open immigration policy to a restricted one in 1882. President Author started the process of closing the door by first barring Chinese. I would bet the first Chinese illegal immigrants arrived within a day of his signing the law. Later, in 1921, quotas were placed on European immigrants. Again, the first violation of this law would have occurred shortly after the quota was filled. If you were rejected at Ellis Island, just bribe the boat captain to set you ashore somewhere else. Or land in Mexico or Canada and walk across the border; even after throttling the flow of "lower class" southern Europeans, Mexicans were still welcome for the cheap labor.

Immigration slowed by itself during the Great Depression (why come here for no jobs?), then picked up again during the war boom.

Trying to argue that illegal immigration is a "new" problem is beyond ridiculous. When the grass appears greener somewhere else, people try to move there. If they can't do it legally they do it illegally.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 07-09-2015 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 03:05 PM

651 posts, read 416,615 times
Immigration laws should both match real life's circumstances and set some rules for foreigners.

USA is an attractive country and there was illegal immigration always. You can write in the law "Border is closed! No violators!" but such law won't work. There aren't enough policemen to control every meter of border.

Accordingly the best law isn't the cruelest one but it should regulate the immigration for:
- Profit for the country from able people those want to get the citizens of the USA
- Stop the infiltration of criminals
- Help the police to fulfill these tasks and to do their best

Old 07-11-2015, 07:02 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.

I know what you mean Bob.
My wife immigrated from Ireland legally decades ago but she knew others that were illegal having over stayed their visas etc.. Back then it was serious business if you were caught but today not so.

I think it all changed when the politicians saw illegals as a new source of votes. The immigrants being uneducated to the ways of politics they are more prone to believe what they hear in a well timed sound bite. amnesty comes first then the rights of citizens follow.

It all changed when the words describing them were dulled down.
They used to be called wetbacks then illegal aliens, then illegal immigrants, then undocumented workers, now today future democratic voters. LOL

Somewhere along the way the word "illegal" became "that is OK" and they came out of the shadows gained the Presidents ear and started demanding rights. CRAZY! I say.

Immigration is a good thing for the country but it needs to be organized and law full and that does not happen with an open border where anyone can stroll across.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:32 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
You live in LA county. It's pretty obvious whose responsible.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:57 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I know what you mean Bob.
My wife immigrated from Ireland legally decades ago but she knew others that were illegal having over stayed their visas etc.. Back then it was serious business if you were caught but today not so.

I think it all changed when the politicians saw illegals as a new source of votes. The immigrants being uneducated to the ways of politics they are more prone to believe what they hear in a well timed sound bite. amnesty comes first then the rights of citizens follow.

It all changed when the words describing them were dulled down.
They used to be called wetbacks then illegal aliens, then illegal immigrants, then undocumented workers, now today future democratic voters. LOL

Somewhere along the way the word "illegal" became "that is OK" and they came out of the shadows gained the Presidents ear and started demanding rights. CRAZY! I say.

Immigration is a good thing for the country but it needs to be organized and law full and that does not happen with an open border where anyone can stroll across.
Sooooo, let me get this right.....illegals are a source of votes...because they are so much more likely to vote than citizens? Because you'd think they would be worried about calling attention to themselves at a polling place and perhaps getting caught? But no, they flock to vote....?!

And, immigrants are ignorant of politics? Certainly there are no other countries where politicians are corrupt or dishonest besides the U.S. - they'd never have had any experience dealing with the complexities in their own country? Only the most ignorant would want to come to the U.S. and how could they understand politicians bend the truth?

I don't think it would be an improvement to call them "wetbacks"....or how about the nasty names we have for other nationalities...perhaps the names that YOUR ancestors would have been called like mick or paddy (illegal or not because who stops to ask?).

Old 07-11-2015, 08:32 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,523 times
Here's my take and concerns, it's a DHS issue because we have American citizens being killed and in most cases file's the illegal perpetrators skip and families are left with no peace and no justice, on top of everything else, we have Vets who are still fighting today for basic health care and many other issues, yet they have a voice and thank you is nice. Yet no Action is done.

I have friends in NYC, a very lovely family who are patiently waiting to become American citizens, it cost them 30K and three years and they can't wait to raise their right hand, they are so proud. I don't have the answer but I do know the difference between right and wrong, were a country build on law and order to be respected by all and until the illegal criminals understand this they get squat from me.

Thank,
Knight

Old 07-11-2015, 08:52 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Both sides (and we know who they are) have to bear the responsibility for the passive response to illegal immigration from the south.

One side, as posters above have referenced, saw early on the possibility of creating masses of partisan voters as wave after wave of immigrants entered the country illegally, established themselves, and were granted amnesty. This is about to occur again, in a major way, and the politicians on that side are fully expecting to benefit for decades to come as the gratitude of the new citizens expresses itself in votes.

The other side needed a source of cheap labor to keep costs down and profits up. They were (and are) secretly delighted with the state of things, while pretending to be outraged at the wholesale flouting of our immigration laws. Not only do they have virtually unlimited access to sub-minimum wage labor; they also have a bludgeon to depress wages for all unskilled workers in the US.

It is wrong to place the blame for the situation on the illegals who have come here to better themselves and their families. Who among us, faced with the same hardships, dangers, and lack of opportunities in their home countries, would not have done the same? And the claim of others, most notably Mr.Trump, that illegals are bloodthirsty drug-running criminals, ignores the fact that were it not for the voracious demand for narcotics that exists in the US, such illegal trafficking would not exist.

We now have a fait accompli on our hands. Our country is undergoing a transformation to a dual-cultural, dual-lingual nation. That this is happening without our having had a national conversation or a plan for the unprecedented influx of people from Latin America is indicative of both naked greed and the relative ignorance of all Americans -- our political leaders, our business executives, and the general public -- of what national identity means and how a constitutional republic needs to work.

As has so often been the case with post-World War II America, we are moving forward blindly, having forgotten to open our eyes and prepare for the future.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:02 AM

12,852 posts, read 9,067,991 times
It's really very simple. Because someone can use the term "racist" to describe those who want to enforce emigration laws.

It's the new standard: Just accuse anyone who disagrees with you as a "racist hater" and you can not only dismiss their argument, no one else will dare challenge you. It's a big part of why we can't solve our problems because we can't discuss them.

--- waiting to be called a racist hater now for pointing out the obvious.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:41 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Quote:

Bob.
I think it has always been that way since the 1st English pilgrims. People just floated here when they heard there was gold, food, and other natural resources. I recall tons of vietnamese coming over here when I was in elementary school, after the vietnam war was over. Then Reagan did his amnesty deal. Clinton did NAFTA and it was all over.

Last edited by Jay100; 07-11-2015 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates