Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:08 PM

274 posts, read 298,063 times

Advertisements

I really believe that the heart of our problems in this country today is a lack of blue collar jobs. Which, has led to an economic and emotional depression. Low-paying or non-existant jobs leads to a lot of our problems today. Many Americans who don't have advanced degrees, are trying to work at Mcdonalds or some dead end job. We need to reverse this. We can make this country prosperous again.

I am not an economics or business guy. So, how can we bring back manufacturing jobs? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 06:23 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Getting more of it back would require letting the owners keep more of the profits. Jobs in the sector are drying up due to automation so it would have little impact on employment and we would have to limit taxes to attract them. What is the point?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Stop rewarding companies for outsourcing manufacturing. And train our workers for the higher level of training required by modern manufacturing. Many manufacturing jobs these days require tech skills, and basic engineering skills on the computer. Our workers don't have that. The schools aren't teaching that--even the voch tech schools aren't.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Default How can we bring manufacturing back to this country?

Bring back the 1950's?

Seriously, the old ways are gone. We need to create new industry and new ways of doing things. Our government was really stupid to not invest more in space exploration; think of all the things we could be discovering, mining and manufacturing out there had the technology been pushed further along. Imagine if being an astronaut only required a clean bill of health and a desire to go...

Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Each and every one of us has the power to make it happen. Buy American; starve the Beast.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:45 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Some mfg is coming back, but with technology today, it requires few employees.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:32 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Germany has been very successful at maintaining its manufacturing sector, and keeping skilled people employed, in spite of automation. They're also very good at educating people for those manufacturing jobs. If they can do it, the US should be able to do it. There's no excuse, really.

On the other hand, Germany did outsource unskilled manufacturing; much of the garment trade, for example. They built factories in Russia in the early 2000's, to take advantage of the cheap labor there. What they've retained are the skilled manufacturing jobs, making precision industrial instruments, and that sort of thing.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:44 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Sex, Drugs And The Assembly Line

How bad was it? Rick Madrid built Chevy trucks at the plant. "There was a lot of booze on the line," he said. "And as long you did your job they really didn't care."

A car moves down the auto assembly line at New United Motor Manufacturing Inc.
A car moves down the auto assembly line at New United Motor Manufacturing Inc., a joint venture between General Motors and Toyota that produces Toyota and Pontiac vehicles.
Courtesy of NUMMI
Madrid said he drank when he was mounting tires. "I'd bring a thermos of screwdrivers with me."

And it wasn't just drinking and drugs, Madrid said. People would have sex at the plant, too. If you're wondering how people kept their jobs, here's why: Under the union contract workers practically had to commit fraud to get fired.

Some workers hated management so much, they sabotaged the vehicles.

The End Of The Line For GM-Toyota Joint Venture : NPR

I worked in a factory in the late 70's and it was like a frat house. There was wheel plant that closed in Kansas around 2007-8 and one worker told me hypodermic needles could always be seen laying around.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:57 AM

21,145 posts, read 19,729,843 times
A tariff on imports...the same thing that brought manufacturing to this country in the first place.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:22 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Sex, Drugs And The Assembly Line

How bad was it? Rick Madrid built Chevy trucks at the plant. "There was a lot of booze on the line," he said. "And as long you did your job they really didn't care."

A car moves down the auto assembly line at New United Motor Manufacturing Inc.
A car moves down the auto assembly line at New United Motor Manufacturing Inc., a joint venture between General Motors and Toyota that produces Toyota and Pontiac vehicles.
Courtesy of NUMMI
Madrid said he drank when he was mounting tires. "I'd bring a thermos of screwdrivers with me."

And it wasn't just drinking and drugs, Madrid said. People would have sex at the plant, too. If you're wondering how people kept their jobs, here's why: Under the union contract workers practically had to commit fraud to get fired.

Some workers hated management so much, they sabotaged the vehicles.
The End Of The Line For GM-Toyota Joint Venture : NPR

I worked in a factory in the late 70's and it was like a frat house. There was wheel plant that closed in Kansas around 2007-8 and one worker told me hypodermic needles could always be seen laying around.
Aren't unions the best- they bring out the best in workers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates