Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 PM

286 posts, read 262,688 times

Advertisements

the majority of the problem is from the third world and they will NOT stop having too many kids, paving over the Earth, destroying forests, damming rivers, etc. So you're going to see this problem (if it IS man-caused) just gettting worse, not better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 05:52 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Humans do NOT cause "global warming" or "climate change"....remember y2k? Same hysteria. The Earth will do what the Earth will do....the sun will grow hotter, and cooler... our landmasses change and move....it has NOTHING to do with humans, or cows or any living thing.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:06 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Humans do NOT cause "global warming" or "climate change"....remember y2k? Same hysteria. The Earth will do what the Earth will do....the sun will grow hotter, and cooler... our landmasses change and move....it has NOTHING to do with humans, or cows or any living thing.
You have facts and proof to back that up?

Old 08-03-2015, 06:33 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
It's very obviously man-caused. It doesn't happen this quickly otherwise without some kind of meteor strike, volcanic activity, etc...

I'm of the opinion that we're past the point of no return. That western Antarctica ice sheet is going to melt. The sea level will rise, we did it to ourselves and now have to sleep in the bed we made.

I would stop spending money on it, let people themselves force their politicians to do something when they get tired of living in filth and breathing in fumes. You don't want environmental regulation? Fine, let's see how you like living next to a coal plant. You don't want to cut down on solid waste? Let's see how you like living next to a dump.

I would start saving that money to prepare for the mass migrations and economic dislocations it'll cause. Sea level rise is only one part and probably one of the easier parts to deal with. So what if in 120 years Manhattan becomes a kind of Venice? We've got a lot of time to prepare for that.

What will be worse is that the warming of the oceans will cause quite drastic changes to whole regions. We're already seeing it in places like the Central Valley of California which is cased by the warmer Pacific Ocean. That "drought" is going on 20 years now -- that is a changed climate. Places that were fertile will cease to be so. Places that were not will become more conducive to agriculture. Water resources and their access will change.

I'm not so much worried about what will happen to the Earth as I am how humans will react to it.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:52 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's very obviously man-caused. It doesn't happen this quickly otherwise without some kind of meteor strike, volcanic activity, etc...

I'm of the opinion that we're past the point of no return. That western Antarctica ice sheet is going to melt. The sea level will rise, we did it to ourselves and now have to sleep in the bed we made.

I would stop spending money on it, let people themselves force their politicians to do something when they get tired of living in filth and breathing in fumes. You don't want environmental regulation? Fine, let's see how you like living next to a coal plant. You don't want to cut down on solid waste? Let's see how you like living next to a dump.

I would start saving that money to prepare for the mass migrations and economic dislocations it'll cause. Sea level rise is only one part and probably one of the easier parts to deal with. So what if in 120 years Manhattan becomes a kind of Venice? We've got a lot of time to prepare for that.

What will be worse is that the warming of the oceans will cause quite drastic changes to whole regions. We're already seeing it in places like the Central Valley of California which is cased by the warmer Pacific Ocean. That "drought" is going on 20 years now -- that is a changed climate. Places that were fertile will cease to be so. Places that were not will become more conducive to agriculture. Water resources and their access will change.

I'm not so much worried about what will happen to the Earth as I am how humans will react to it.
I strongly concur. Sometimes I think we are just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. And to make matters worse, I also somewhat agree with the OP; we (in my case the US) can only help stem the tide, but without buy in around the world, we can't turn it around. And even if we turn it around, there seem to be some vicious cycles (self perpetuating problems, like sea rise causing ice to melt faster which causes sea rise, which...) that might be too late to do anything about.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:04 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Wow.

Here's the difference between y2k and global warming. Y2k didn't have scientists saying 'yeah it's gonna be the end of the world.' None. But most scientists agree that climate change is a very real thing. Usually, hysteria doesn't have near universal scientific consensus for decades at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
the majority of the problem is from the third world and they will NOT stop having too many kids, paving over the Earth, destroying forests, damming rivers, etc. So you're going to see this problem (if it IS man-caused) just gettting worse, not better.
You probably have a point, but I still feel we in the West can and should do whatever possible to reduce the impact on the environment that we have. It will be far easier for us because we are technologically advanced. Third world countries, many still need to complete their industrial revolution, as well as various political revolutions.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:59 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,235,559 times
Quote:
Y2K was circumvented because programmers (like my mother) were fixing code for the years up to, and even after 2000. To suggest that the problem solved itself is wrong. There were a number of glitches including medical device equipment, police records, utilities, etc.

As for climate change, I'm convinced we can do something about. The question is can we do significant things that can fix the future? Imagine if we were still living during the industrial revolution with the population we currently have; we'd be multiples worse than China. Innovation, technology, education, and regulation helped.

As for controlling the earth's cycle of floods, ice ages, and temperate periods, I'm not sure if we will get our act together fast enough to adapt.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:55 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
LOL. yeah people living in yurts are a bigger cause of global warming then the tons of electricity I use, and my 2 vehicles. And all the meat I eat, and electronics and other mass produced items I have. yup!

Sigh. Theres so many things wrong with the OP, I figured I'd touch on the one no one else had mentioned yet.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:05 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

We're all gonna drown! Run for the hills!

You do know that ice melt in the western Antarctic is caused by subsurface volcanic activity, right?

Underwater volcanoes, not climate change, reason behind melting of West Antarctic Ice Sheet : SCIENCE : Tech Times

And you do know, don't you, that global sea ice has been increasing?

https://sunshinehours.wordpress.com/...e-for-the-day/

Old 08-04-2015, 05:10 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
the majority of the problem is from the third world...
I think the majority of the problem is the 1st world... see below.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates