Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 08:09 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
TANF doesn't, SNAP does however.
That's correct, I don't think I said otherwise though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 08:26 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
okay so I only read the first few pages but as somebody who has been on "welfare" my whole life this is what i think

the idea of a store isnt bad at all and i like the idea of it. my mother and sister get food stamp cards and tbh they have addiction problems and as soon as they get them they let someone borrow them and then they get the money for less than what the card is worth. what does that leave me with? five hungry kids and a baby. i fight tooth and nail to keep my sisters wic so the baby can have the formula he needs. we get bread and fruit but with so many kids, and several adults who like milk and bread, its hard to keep it in the house. the store idea sounds good because at least the adults who have kids wont be able to sell their card, leaving the kids in the situation hungry. i think they should watch food stamps more, bc a lot of ppl are like my mom and sister. Family members go hungry in order to finance other family members addiction

i have a job but i wouldnt mind waiting in line for three hours or however long that poster said. i have a job but i wouldnt mind waiting for food. i also wouldnt mind only having access to sertain kinds of foods as long as they would feed my little siblings. So I would do it. Im sure other ppl who were serious about getting help and really needed the foods for their families would do it. Not all of us are bad ppl, honestly. I read the first few pages and some posters obviously think ppl who are poor need to be shamed or something or to be embarassed... i dont really care... i would put up with any thing to get food. i go to the food bank when i can get a ride, i have dealt with mean comments from my own church.. if you are hungry or have kids that are hungry you do what you have to.

Tonight I have one box of mac n cheese to split between five kids and one adult (not me). I have some cornbread mix that Im going to make to go with it. Thats how I grew up. I remember my mom making hamburger helper and the adults getting the majority of it and then my siblings getting some and then i would get maybe a third of a cup full if i was lucky. Foster care was the same way. I went through that bc the ppl who were supposed to be taking care of me found a way to cash in on govt assistance. As someone who is poor I would love for that to change. And no, I dont think the idea of a store is embarassing or humiliating, I think it would be for the best.
Have you considered just moving out of that situation? Sometimes irresponsible adults are enabled when one of their adult children take over and do the parenting and household management for them. I'm afraid that if you stay in that environment you won't be helping them in the long run. If I were you, I would go to college or learn a trade get out on my own, and when you are able try to get custody of the most vulnerable of your siblings.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:18 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Have you considered just moving out of that situation? Sometimes irresponsible adults are enabled when one of their adult children take over and do the parenting and household management for them. I'm afraid that if you stay in that environment you won't be helping them in the long run. If I were you, I would go to college or learn a trade get out on my own, and when you are able try to get custody of the most vulnerable of your siblings.
Moving out wouldnt fix anything. Ok say I move out. My income goes with me. My sister and mother continue to cash in their benefits and the kids go hungry, the electricity gets turned off and it sets off a bad chain of events. my siblings would go into foster care, my baby nephew is only used to me caring for him. and honestly, ppl who think foster care is the best- i dont think so. Are there good foster care familys out there? yes but as someone who was in the system for several yrs I can tell you that a lot of them are awful. Most of the time there are to many kids, adults who are just doing it for a check and a lot of horrible shady ppl. Once I was staying with this family that made us all go to bed at 5pm every day... I was almost 15. And the bio kids had fleas and they would yell at us when they got drunk. I stayed with a family that disciplined w/ a belt. So if one kid got in trouble, then we all got it. Think I want my siblings going through that? You end up hating and blaming yourself. There all that I have and I'm all they have. You think my sister is going to stay up with my little nephew when he starts teething? I mean I love my family but this is reality & reality is that sometimes the right thing to do isnt the best thing.

But this thread is about welfare and i think there does need to be a change. To many ppl take advantage of it. Some of us are just trying to get by and its hard when there are other ppl who use the system who abuse it. The card system needs to change. maybe a store isnt the best way to go, although i do think its a good idea. There has to be a way to make sure the cards cant be sold to someone else.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:43 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Moving out wouldnt fix anything. Ok say I move out. My income goes with me. My sister and mother continue to cash in their benefits and the kids go hungry, the electricity gets turned off and it sets off a bad chain of events. my siblings would go into foster care, my baby nephew is only used to me caring for him. and honestly, ppl who think foster care is the best- i dont think so. Are there good foster care familys out there? yes but as someone who was in the system for several yrs I can tell you that a lot of them are awful. Most of the time there are to many kids, adults who are just doing it for a check and a lot of horrible shady ppl. Once I was staying with this family that made us all go to bed at 5pm every day... I was almost 15. And the bio kids had fleas and they would yell at us when they got drunk. I stayed with a family that disciplined w/ a belt. So if one kid got in trouble, then we all got it. Think I want my siblings going through that? You end up hating and blaming yourself. There all that I have and I'm all they have. You think my sister is going to stay up with my little nephew when he starts teething? I mean I love my family but this is reality & reality is that sometimes the right thing to do isnt the best thing.

But this thread is about welfare and i think there does need to be a change. To many ppl take advantage of it. Some of us are just trying to get by and its hard when there are other ppl who use the system who abuse it. The card system needs to change. maybe a store isnt the best way to go, although i do think its a good idea. There has to be a way to make sure the cards cant be sold to someone else.
My heart just aches for you. YOU are the kind of person that I don't resent helping at all, either through the taxes I pay or in any other way.

Do you have any kind of plan to get out of that situation as soon as you think you CAN? From what I can tell, you are a very good person, but where do you see yourself in ten years -- or even five? I know that you don't have a good opinion of the the social services system, but do you go to any kind of church, synagogue, or something like that in which you could possibly enlist some help there? I know that I can't help you, but if I knew of someone like you who lived near me, I would not mind doing whatever I could to give that person some support as long as it did not involve anyone in his/her family except for him/her and any young children involved.

Yes, I know that my words don't and can't change anything, but I just hope so much that you will have a better future than the present and past that you have endured.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:01 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Quote:

Your sister is pregnant again? Is she strung out or sober? Have you talked to CPS at all?

I sent you a note.

Last edited by pkbab5; 02-09-2016 at 01:10 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 03:13 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Your sister is pregnant again? Is she strung out or sober? Have you talked to CPS at all?

I sent you a note.
Those little children...my God. And your sister is pregnant AGAIN. While taking drugs. So the new infant is being exposed prenatally to chemicals/toxins God knows what.
Sister cannot even care for her own infant (you have posted). So who cares for the poor baby when you're at work? Your drunken sot of a mother?

What revolting behavior on the part of the sister and Mother. Selling food stamps that taxpayers PAY FOR to help CHILDREN so they can use drugs and drink. And get pregnant again while taking drugs. Selfishness to a savage extreme.

Disgusting beyond words. Horrid people who would take food from little children to get high and drunk.
Sister should be sterilized. In a sane world she would be.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 02-09-2016 at 03:24 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 03:30 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:

Thank you for your effort to keep this on topic.

As you pointed out, it is a bit off topic, but just a suggestion. If you're looking for advice, you might want to consider sharing your story in one of the other forums.

The Personal Finance forum(while sometimes being a bit harsh) is a good place to turn to for financial advice and the Non-Romantic relationships forum can certainly off a few suggestions for dealing with the family struggle.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Those little children...my God. And your sister is pregnant AGAIN. While taking drugs. So the new infant is being exposed prenatally to chemicals/toxins God knows what.
Sister cannot even care for her own infant (you have posted). So who cares for the poor baby when you're at work? Your drunken sot of a mother?

What revolting behavior on the part of the sister and Mother. Selling food stamps that taxpayers PAY FOR to help CHILDREN so they can use drugs and drink. And get pregnant again while taking drugs. Selfishness to a savage extreme.

Disgusting beyond words. Horrid people who would take food from little children to get high and drunk.
Sister should be sterilized. In a sane world she would be.
They are honestly not bad ppl they have just made bad choices. And I honestly believe that all babies are blessings and this new little one will def be a miracle even though its not the best time.

When I'm not at work our neighbor watches my nephew. Shes old but luckily she doesnt mind and I do give her a bit of money. If my sister is okay she watches him. I just cant leave him with my mom alone because I dont trust she could care for him as he is still in diapers.

Ive grown up around addiction but there are ways to work around it.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Thank you for your effort to keep this on topic.

As you pointed out, it is a bit off topic, but just a suggestion. If you're looking for advice, you might want to consider sharing your story in one of the other forums.

The Personal Finance forum(while sometimes being a bit harsh) is a good place to turn to for financial advice and the Non-Romantic relationships forum can certainly off a few suggestions for dealing with the family struggle.
Thanks! And yes Im sorry if I got the thread off topic. as a person who has a family on welfare i just wanted to share my opinion, which in order me to share it i had to share a bit of background on myself & where Im coming from.

Anyway, back to the thread! Lol.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:37 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times
Quote:
They are honestly not bad ppl they have just made bad choices. And I honestly believe that all babies are blessings and this new little one will def be a miracle even though its not the best time.

When I'm not at work our neighbor watches my nephew. Shes old but luckily she doesnt mind and I do give her a bit of money. If my sister is okay she watches him. I just cant leave him with my mom alone because I dont trust she could care for him as he is still in diapers.

Ive grown up around addiction but there are ways to work around it.
Choosing to ruin one's OWN life is a bad choice. No kids suffering from a person's vices, then who cares. I don't. Drink and take poison all you want.

BUT

Choosing to ruin innocent children's lives means you are more than a "BAD" person.
Literally taking food from hungry children, sorry you have a distorted view of your relatives, but that makes them bad people in the common view. Extremely "bad". Scum in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates