Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 09:34 AM

545 posts, read 595,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I'll tell you what I'm tired of, the incessant white male pity party!

As for affirmative action... There has never been a reverse discrimination case where a top white male candidates has been denied a position in school or employment. The situation invariably involves a mediocre white candidates who believes they are entitled despite their basic mediocrity.

Apparently it's not only "whitey" complaining, but it seems that Asians are tired of working hard to get good grades, but Black folk with inferior grades are picked instead!
The model minority is losing patience | The Economist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 11:39 AM

50,926 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I'll tell you what I'm tired of, the incessant white male pity party!

As for affirmative action... There has never been a reverse discrimination case where a top white male candidates has been denied a position in school or employment. The situation invariably involves a mediocre white candidates who believes they are entitled despite their basic mediocrity.
I know of a school system (heh, heh) where for a few years there was such an overwhelming effort to hire minority administrators that some incompetents were hired. But after a few years a sense of balance returned and those hired or promoted were deserving, and --- at that point -- the Whites that were passed over should have been passed over, yet they complained about it being affirmative action.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Most politicians: white male
Most police officers: white male
Most judges: white male
Most CEOs and top executives: white male
Most university leaders: white male
Most church leaders: white male
Most leaders in banks and financial institutions: white male
Most lead actors and top positions in Hollywood: white male

You personally may not feel particularly privileged but white males as a group are.
I think that would be more effective in pointing out gender discrimination than racial discrimination.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
So it was wrong when it was done in the past, but now it has to be done again...because why? So the people who didn't actually do any of that stuff back in the day (because they weren't alive) have to suffer for their actions?
Funny, I was thinking of posts like yours last evening.

It occurred to me how many White people (particularly conservatives, but not limited to conservatives) who are very into claiming some sort of linear heritage with the thinking of the Founding Fathers, or the principles of the Revolutionary War against a tyrant 3,000 miles away, or the wisdom of Lincoln, or the glory of their grandfathers fighting in WWII, or the adjustment of their immigrant relatives to becoming real Americans, or some other historical phenomenon. But then when it comes to slavery and racism suddenly throw up their hands basically saying, "It wasn't me; I wasn't even around".

Old 03-05-2016, 01:56 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,774,856 times
Read about this today, made me feel a bit sad for African-Americans...

New study shows bias toward adopting children of certain ethnic, racial backgrounds | EurekAlert! Science News

Old 03-05-2016, 03:06 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
It gets exasperating to see multiple threads that involve obsessing and complaining about Blacks.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 939,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It gets exasperating to see multiple threads that involve obsessing and complaining about Blacks.

Thank you. It's like some kind of tic.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Thank you. It's like some kind of tic.
And the truth is, constantly complaining about Blacks has not solved any problems. It just stirs up more anger.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:05 PM

926 posts, read 1,257,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Some seem obsessed with that demographic. The culture in general, i.e., mannerisms, music, fashion, food, AAVE, community issues, history. Perhaps the privileges are not as easily obtained as they once were. Or, maybe they're not fulfilled within their own lives and see an outlet to blame.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
Some seem obsessed with that demographic. The culture in general, i.e., mannerisms, music, fashion, food, AAVE, community issues, history. Perhaps the privileges are not as easily obtained as they once were. Or, maybe they're not fulfilled within their own lives and see an outlet to blame.
And it's an unhealthy obsession at that. Most of what I see in these threads involves complaining and alot of anger. If not anger, some passive-aggressive mentality involved. I feel like alot of what gets said on the threads is stuff some people won't say in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates