Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:20 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,222,796 times

Advertisements

for those of you who are interested, i highly recommend Amy Chua's book "the triple package."

in this book, amy and her husband studied many cultural groups and their success in america. these groups are diverse, some are racial while others are national or religious. but they found three things in common that were instrumental in their success.

1. a sense of superiority (the belief that you can do it)
2. a sense of insecurity (the fact that you are not there yet)
3. impulse control (the method you use to save for a rainy day and strive)

these three things were found common among groups like Chinese americans, jewish americans, cuban americans, nigerian americans, mormon americans, etc. It shows that race has nothing to do with it. In fact, by 3rd generation, the striving in asian americans disappears and their achievement is no different than say white americans in general. What is in play is a cultural trait that are found across so many groups and change across so many groups. These traits, the triple package, were in the american psychology in the developmental phase of the united states. but some time in the last thirty years, america has lost 2 and 3, only retains to 1, superiority. What superiority does, in the absence of 2 and 3, is a sense of entitlement, privilege, and arrogance.

you see all of these in american culture, american shopping, american racism, and american foreign policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 12:32 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,552,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concaine View Post
This is simply not true.

The most educated group in the United States are African Born immigrants to the US. AKA, black people.

Its the sort of sweeping brush that they, like some posters in this thread, would hate to be used with them and/or those they are close to.

What those who wish to deny the issue of racism need to explain is why do sub Saharan Africans, the most educated group, have median household incomes BELOW that of the less educated whites and Asians. Clearly they aren't able to generate incomes at levels that one would expect based on their high levels of education.

Facts are facts, and that is, if one holds all else equal, whites earn more than other groups.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
for those of you who are interested, i highly recommend Amy Chua's book "the triple package." , cuban americans, nigerian americans,.
1. the "high earning Cuban American" became a fallacy when less selective migration from Cuba began from around 1980. Cubans at best can now be described as a lower middle income group with median household incomes no better than that of other Caribbean immigrants.

2. Nigerian Americans work hard to acquire high levels of education, but then earn less than considerably less educated whites and Asians. This group is always described as very educated, but never has high earning.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
An amazing fact is why do Asians for for Democrats? They have a reputation for working hard, staying out of trouble, moving ahead in life and yet vote for the party that will attack them for those values and tax their success.

Well when the GOP attack immigrants, and want to ban entire groups, why the shock that immigrants (other than those who fled communism) will refuse to vote for them.

Asian Indians supported Obama by levels exceeding 80% TWICE. Pakistanis voted for Obama at levels HIGHER than that of black Americans. But why the shock when we see the rampant anti Muslim bigotry from the GOP.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:

Many blacks also don't care much about employment opportunities, if they themselves have decided to rely on social assistance. .

I don't know if you know this but when an indication of racism is when some one suggests that blacks are lazy and don't want to work.

In fact 70% of blacks have NEVER received any social assistance in their LIFETIME. Seems to me as if most blacks want to work. Indeed most people receiving food stamps WORK. Most people who received food stamps are WHITE!

Indeed if this election has taught us any thing its that large numbers of whites will play the victim role. That is the attraction of Trump, who tells these people that he will "restore to them what they have lost".

Old 03-30-2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
asians have a lot of self discipline. they are not satisfied with just leeching off the public treasure.

I suggest that you see what has happened to many Cambodians, and other south east Asians, and then come back again!

Old 03-30-2016, 03:01 AM

244 posts, read 169,191 times
In truth Hispanics would prob vote more republican if it wasn't for the amnesty/immigration issue right now. As for Asians they don't need government hand outs nor do they care for them. I'd say some other things about the Asian culture Ive observed but I don't wanna be slammed for being a racist. Put it this way..... they don't care for coming here and integrating with Americas poor especially blacks. I do find it puzzling that blacks are goaded into supporting open boarders when it directly impacts them in the worse way. They simply see the word "racist" tossed at certain people (Trump comes to mind) and they assume that its something against them or at least the liberals would have them believe.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:35 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,222,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post
In truth Hispanics would prob vote more republican if it wasn't for the amnesty/immigration issue right now. As for Asians they don't need government hand outs nor do they care for them. I'd say some other things about the Asian culture Ive observed but I don't wanna be slammed for being a racist. Put it this way..... they don't care for coming here and integrating with Americas poor especially blacks. I do find it puzzling that blacks are goaded into supporting open boarders when it directly impacts them in the worse way. They simply see the word "racist" tossed at certain people (Trump comes to mind) and they assume that its something against them or at least the liberals would have them believe.
we don't give a damn about the left's social programs. asians have the highest median household income among all ethnic groups, including whites. It is also my observation that many asians are quite racist toward blacks, in ways that are more explicit because some come from countries where this is commonly accepted and some have never experienced the american civil rights movement. Many came here simply for a better life and opportunities for themselves and their children.

Take a look at Hawaii, a state with a large asian population. the native hawaiians have been marginalized first by white settlers, and then by several waves of asian immigrants. asians make great contributions to hawaii but meanwhile native hawaiians are marginalized. there, you have a case of asians and native hawaiians, but the same holds true for blacks.

in fact, in the south, many businesses are now owned by first-generation or immigrant families from india. i believe they even had a governor of a state who was a first generation indian american. this is a region with a large black population. notably the blacks have been there for generations, while the indians from india haven't. yet, the have acquired leadership positions. they are business owners of gas stations and hotels, in towns where many blacks end up working for them for little pay. These asian immigrants have bettered their family but not their fellow black citizens.

Simply put, native blacks were enslaved first and then put on life support by liberals who need the votes and power and couldn't care less about the betterment of blacks. And the truth is that most people, most of the time, care about their own interests.

Latinos are wiser and more strategic. Look. They maintain a higher birth rate, which means the future goes to them. They use business services within their own communities to rise together. They actively advocate for latino-friendly immigration policies, even for the undocumented. They are not afraid of making themselves heard in front of the president and the media. Oh, and they run their own media, which has become more influential.

The ironic point is that for many white liberals here crusading pro-immigration, have they learned Spanish yet? Or are they just cheerleaders for somebody's else interest?

Old 03-30-2016, 11:30 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,555,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post
Let's stop using the "Model Minority" trope for Asians an actually use facts. I have lived in predominantly Asian areas in Southern CA and Asians use public assistance/food stamps/EBT cards/WIC/Meals on Wheels/social services just like EVERY other group does.

SOUTHEAST ASIANS HIGHLY DEPENDENT ON WELFARE IN U.S. - NYTimes.com

Report: Asian-American Subgroups Among Nation

Truth Behind the Poverty Rate for Asian Americans - The Borgen Project

Excerpt

It is often assumed that Asian Americans are one of the minority groups in the United States that is doing well economically. However, this statement too broadly categorizes all Asian subgroups. According to the official poverty rate from the U.S. Census in 2011, the Asian American poverty rate was actually 2.5% higher than that of Caucasians.

In fact, amongst poor Asian Americans, Southeast Asians face some of the highest poverty rates in the whole country. Researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles conducted a study on income sources, home foreclosures and housing burden. The study indicated that Southeast Asians in the United States have consistently relied on food stamps for many decades. Moreover, language barriers are still major roadblocks that prevent Southeast Asian Americans from entering new labor markets.
The poverty rate for Asian Americans is highest amongst Hmong, Cambodian, Laotian and Vietnamese. Hmong Americans have a startlingly high poverty rate at 37.8%, followed closely by Cambodian Americans at 29.3% and Laotian Americans at 18.5%.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,324 times
Quote:
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. We have had 7 years with a President who has tried to pick up the minorities and give them a bigger seat at the table but despite his efforts they can't seem to get out of their own way.
They play the race card if something, anything doesn't go their way. They play the victim very well because victims don't have much responsibility for their own situation.
Cape Cod Todd, that is such a typical response from so many conservatives that black people play the race card. There wouldnt be cards to play if there wasnt a game to play them in. This country was founded with racism branded into it. You enslave a people, strip them of their identity, fight a bloody war to keep them as slaves, lose that war, free them, discriminate against so they cannot get ahead, create governmental polices to take the Black man out of the Black family and incarcerate him and you have the nerve and audacity to say we are 'PLAYING' the victim?????? REALLY DUDE???!!!!! when was the last or the first time all that has happened to white people, asian people...any people?????

You have a lot of nerve speaking down to US when the beating down of MY people gave passageway to your 'privilege'. If it weren't for MY PEOPLE their would BE an America especially since the land was stolen much like everything else our great country puts their hands, smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates