Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:01 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
And that's why the true understanding that comes with religion will be closed out to you

You have no modicum of faith. You don't want to seek God, you want a God who fits into the box of your understanding. It doesn't work like that.

You should study and seek all the great world religions and authentically and sincerely pursue the one the speaks to you the most. Hopefully you're adult enough not to turn that around and want to kill people.

And I don't know why you're making analogies in reductive ways there are a billion muslims in the world yet you can only seem to make allusions to ISIS.

It's really silly and dumb to act like me having a personal belief Jesus is the son of God means I think everyone who doesn't think that is going to hell

Islam means submission/surrender to God, it doesn't mean God submits to you.
I read about and went on a 20 year quest to find religion and the road it led me down, as stated in the OP is that you can't put god into a box. Agnostics believe that we cannot put god into a box and that humans will never have the ability to understand what religion, thoughts, understandings a god would have for us.

The problem with searching all the major religions for 20 years, I have seen that they are all the same. There is only one god and they way we reach out to him, though it differs drastically through our customs, in the end, we all want the same thing. Further than that is where faith comes in and you're right I have no faith in one religion being better than the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:06 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I read about and went on a 20 year quest to find religion and the road it led me down, as stated in the OP is that you can't put god into a box. Agnostics believe that we cannot put god into a box and that humans will never have the ability to understand what religion, thoughts, understandings a god would have for us.

The problem with searching all the major religions for 20 years, I have seen that they are all the same. There is only one god and they way we reach out to him, though it differs drastically through our customs, in the end, we all want the same thing. Further than that is where faith comes in and you're right I have no faith in one religion being better than the next.
Yeah jaqen h'ghar explains as much to aria in g.o.t.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
Put this in the religion forum.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:19 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
It's just further proof that religion is not something that comes from a God, but rather a man made construct to control people through the fear of death.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:26 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,561 times
Common ground means compromise- the language of the devil. Allowing everyone to set their own standards of right and wrong, and if you disagree as a Christian- they go ape! Unbelievable how thin skinned these folks are- let each person "define their own truth"- what a bunch of hogwash!

Old 04-13-2016, 02:57 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Quote:

My question is this: If, deep down, we all have a sort of same need of purpose. Why is it that we cannot, and will not get along. Why don't we have ONE religion, or a sense of a global human community?

Why do we dislike Muslims? Why do they despise us? Why do Jews feel they're right, and Mormons too? It seems that history has taught us that killing each other over our beliefs in God are here to stay. That we can't ever agree to stop the violence brought on by our beliefs, even though, deep down on an instinctual level, we are all just really hoping for the same results.

Why don't we all wear the same clothes? Or drive the same car? Religion is not a one size fits all nor should it be. I don't know who WE are. The religion's you mentioned above all want to be in control, expect the Jews I have never had one knock on our door. The above mentioned religion's also are a form of Christianity. Again other then the Jewish faith. Christianity was invented to seize control over everyone nothing more so you would have to take it up with those who brought Christianity to the masses.

The Catholics.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
For me, I feel that religion both now and throughout history has been intertwined too much with politics. When religions start to have lobbyists, in my opinion, it's no longer a religion in the true sense of the word. Power and the struggle for it has strange ways of corrupting even the most saintly among us.
true
Must be a good 40 years ago that an old friend told me to stay away from the three P's
Politicians...priests....pimps.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:53 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,135 times
Look, the bible clearly defines the greatest law in Christianity:

Matthew 22:36-40 New International Version (NIV)

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

And Islam has the same:

"A Bedouin came to the prophet, grabbed the stirrup of his camel and said: O the messenger of God! Teach me something to go to heaven with it. Prophet said: "As you would have people do to you, do to them; and what you dislike to be done to you, don't do to them."

And yet, what do we get instead?
- Nuts killing each other over differences in religion because they idiotically believe that the religion that they just so happen to be born into is the only true one. Fancy that - what a coincidence, I'm sure!
- Religions fundamentalists spending more time parsing their holy books to justify their bigotry (such as the Christians who claim how basically everything in Levitical Law no longer applies except somehow being gay is still horrible) than they've ever spent loving their neighbor or anybody other than themselves.

If the chief prophets of some of the largest religions can flat out say that if you don't love your neighbor and follow the "Golden Rule," you've got nothing, and their supposed followers STILL don't get it, there never will be a common ground for all people because some people value their hatred above all else.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:50 PM

611 posts, read 280,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Look, the bible clearly defines the greatest law in Christianity:

Matthew 22:36-40 New International Version (NIV)

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

And Islam has the same:

"A Bedouin came to the prophet, grabbed the stirrup of his camel and said: O the messenger of God! Teach me something to go to heaven with it. Prophet said: "As you would have people do to you, do to them; and what you dislike to be done to you, don't do to them."

And yet, what do we get instead?
- Nuts killing each other over differences in religion because they idiotically believe that the religion that they just so happen to be born into is the only true one. Fancy that - what a coincidence, I'm sure!
- Religions fundamentalists spending more time parsing their holy books to justify their bigotry (such as the Christians who claim how basically everything in Levitical Law no longer applies except somehow being gay is still horrible) than they've ever spent loving their neighbor or anybody other than themselves.

If the chief prophets of some of the largest religions can flat out say that if you don't love your neighbor and follow the "Golden Rule," you've got nothing, and their supposed followers STILL don't get it, there never will be a common ground for all people because some people value their hatred above all else.
And isn't it funny that all Christian Religions try to base their correctness upon the same Book? When I read the scriptures I find every Christian religion falling short. The Bible is not about religion, it is about a way of life. Either you can love your neighbor as yourself, or go make war with him and kill everyone to steal their houses and land as your promised land, but you cannot do both. That "God said..." found in scripture is a lie. Didn't they read that man has a Devil with him upon earth that claims to be God? You have to decide, you can't do both. But no, they try to justify all that bloodshed in the name of God. We are reaping what we have sown, look at us today, not getting any wiser. Holy Cow Man, just stop it.

All that killing after the garden came about because of that separation, departure, from the ways of God. And God commanded more killings and more wars my arse. Their God is a Devil. And all the religions of sacrifice from the houses of Abel and all the city Babylonian kings of Cain being the traditions of men...both came together in the killing of Christ. The gods of this world is men as Devils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates