Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:49 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,549 times

Advertisements

This is something I always found rather mind boggling as a centrist-minded libertarian and a black man.

A lot of liberals, white or black, tend to put tremendous pressure on Black Americans to support amnesty, open borders, and mass immigration from Latin America under the guise that we're both minorities/people of color and that their issues are our issues.

I'm not denying that there are some parallels between our communities regarding poverty and what have you but why are ONLY Black Americans pressured to support the Hispanic community but not Asian Americans who are also minorities?

Why aren't Asian Americans pressured by liberals to form a "Brown/Yellow" coalition like Black Americans are, especially since, in California, these two groups are the largest minority groups.

Also, I notice when a black person doesn't support open borders, amnesty, etc., they're considered sell-outs or "uncle toms" by these same liberals yet Asian Americans like Michelle Malkin who's spoken out against the same ordeal are not scrutinized in the same manner.

Why is this the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 01:00 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
Asian-Americans aren't stereotyped as low-income. That might have a lot to do with it. They face cultural barriers, but at least not towards educational opportunities, employment, housing, etc.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:28 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Why is this the case?
I don't know.

The notion of "hispanics" as minorities and of unity between "black and brown" is a complete sham.

They were not minorities before the 1970s, never supported the black civil rights cause, and never wanted anything to do with blacks.

When blacks were fighting for civil rights, they werent down with the minority cause. Mexicans were saying "We are Mexican and we are white!" and resisted any label as minorities. Now they want us to support the illegal migrant movement. Why should we?

Old 03-24-2016, 02:39 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I don't know.

The notion of "hispanics" as minorities and of unity between "black and brown" is a complete sham.

They were not minorities before the 1970s, never supported the black civil rights cause, and never wanted anything to do with blacks.

When blacks were fighting for civil rights, they werent down with the minority cause. Mexicans were saying "We are Mexican and we are white!" and resisted any label as minorities. Now they want us to support the illegal migrant movement. Why should we?
Well, to be fair, there was Cesar Chavez and the Brown Berets, but, generally speaking, Hispanics are mostly focused on their own ethnic groups and there's no pressure for them to accomodate Black American issues.

It seems, in America anyways, that only Black Americans are expected to be the "loyalists" to other minority groups such as Hispanics even though it's generally one-sided.

It's funny, though, because I've been called certain names by liberals of all races for opposing unlimited immigration, amnesty, and open borders and they always fall back on the fact that I'm black and, hence, I should "understand" their issues.

Yet, Asian Americans are allowed to only support their own ethnic groups without the same pressure to accomodate Hispanics.

It seems almost hypocritical.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:57 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Well, to be fair, there was Cesar Chavez and the Brown Berets, but, generally speaking, Hispanics are mostly focused on their own ethnic groups and there's no pressure for them to accomodate Black American issues.
That was after the C.R movement was over.

After the civil rights movement was over, and the laws that made it a privilege to be white were gone, strange social movements started to emmerge.

Mexicans reinvented their identity, made up new terms "chicano", and started to imitate the black civil rights movement, marching around wearing berets and raising their fists.

Before then, they were outspokenly white. Mexican organization s always identified as white. Today they're trying to cover this history up.

Elderly people from the south west remember this. My family in particular remembers when "spanish" people were white and find it ridiculous that they're considered minorities today. They were never in the same boat as blacks and did not face the discrimination that blacks faced.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:53 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,469 times
We should all combat the problem of Asian female subservience to white supremacy. Many Asian women marry/date/have children with White men because
a) They hate their race, especially Asian men
b) They worship Whites, especially White men

They then raise their children to hate themselves for being part Asian and think highly of White people.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:02 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Why aren't Asian Americans pressured by liberals to form a "Brown/Yellow" coalition like Black Americans are, especially since, in California, these two groups are the largest minority groups.

Also, I notice when a black person doesn't support open borders, amnesty, etc., they're considered sell-outs or "uncle toms" by these same liberals yet Asian Americans like Michelle Malkin who's spoken out against the same ordeal are not scrutinized in the same manner.

Why is this the case?
Asians, as a group, have the highest median income of any racial group in the United States. Blacks, as a group, have the lowest; and Hispanics aren't too much higher. Whites, as a group, are closer in income to Asians. Thus, the groups shake out according to socio-economic status, with blacks and Hispanics aligning along income lines, and whites and Asians doing the same.

FWIW, Michelle Malkin has taken quite a lot of flack for her positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
We should all combat the problem of Asian female subservience to white supremacy. Many Asian women marry/date/have children with White men because
a) They hate their race, especially Asian men
b) They worship Whites, especially White men

They then raise their children to hate themselves for being part Asian and think highly of White people.

Or, c) specific individual Asian females fall in love with specific individual white men, based on such quaint notions as mutual attraction, shared interests, similar socio-economic backgrounds, etc., and date/marry each other accordingly.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:49 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
Quote:
This is something I always found rather mind boggling as a centrist-minded libertarian and a black man.

A lot of liberals, white or black, tend to put tremendous pressure on Black Americans to support amnesty, open borders, and mass immigration from Latin America under the guise that we're both minorities/people of color and that their issues are our issues.

I'm not denying that there are some parallels between our communities regarding poverty and what have you but why are ONLY Black Americans pressured to support the Hispanic community but not Asian Americans who are also minorities?

Why is this the case?
I feel it's because Asians, by culture, strive to achieve. The left strives to punish people who do so. Achieving has become a bad thing in America to many.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:23 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I feel it's because Asians, by culture, strive to achieve. The left strives to punish people who do so. Achieving has become a bad thing in America to many.

I was thinking the same thing. We have had 7 years with a President who has tried to pick up the minorities and give them a bigger seat at the table but despite his efforts they can't seem to get out of their own way.
They play the race card if something, anything doesn't go their way. They play the victim very well because victims don't have much responsibility for their own situation.

On the other side we have Asians that work hard and work smart to achieve.

Both Hillary and Bernie are all about taking down the top earners/achievers and making them pay their share to the bottom rung on the ladder of success.

It used to be part of the American Dream and it was true for many that if you work hard you will have success. Today many are saying why even try when the Gov. is giving me free stuff.

The Left likes to have people eating out of its hand.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:48 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Asians, as a group, have the highest median income of any racial group in the United States. Blacks, as a group, have the lowest; and Hispanics aren't too much higher. Whites, as a group, are closer in income to Asians. Thus, the groups shake out according to socio-economic status, with blacks and Hispanics aligning along income lines, and whites and Asians doing the same.

FWIW, Michelle Malkin has taken quite a lot of flack for her positions.

Or, c) specific individual Asian females fall in love with specific individual white men, based on such quaint notions as mutual attraction, shared interests, similar socio-economic backgrounds, etc., and date/marry each other accordingly.
c) doesn't happen often. There is a gender disparity in White-Asian relationships and part of that is because of the fetishization of Asian females by White males and the worship of Whites and self-hate by Asian females
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates