Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:06 AM

1,100 posts, read 635,741 times

Advertisements

***This is not a race vs race thread - but more for a discussion on where did this school of thought originate and where is it being shared. If you can't participate without being negative about another race - then don't post***

I wasn't even aware this was a school of thought until yesterday evening - young AA scholars discussing it and claiming they refuted it with historical facts. White slavery isn't possible due to white privilege was pretty much the focal point of the discussion.

- I'm not here to argue which slave demographic had it rougher than the other; however, to deny one cultures history is pretty ignorant in itself. Anyone who has gone through (or is going through - as slavery still exists), the atrocities and conditions suffered by those are/were completely awful - regardless of skin color.

- Why have Ivy League schools done extensive research on the "white" slavery topic and have countless reports/studies on what those particular ethnic groups went through during their slavery periods - assuming white slavery did not happen.

- Surely this is not something being taught as fact within the HBCU community?

Two articles "debunking" the white slavery "myth": Slavery myths: Seven lies, half-truths, and irrelevancies people trot out about slavery—debunked.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/beyond...onvenient-myth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 10:04 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,829,343 times
Slavery has been practiced for centuries and by pretty much all societies on all continents. Slavery can be traced back to 1760 B.C. No one "made up" anything. There's no need.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:36 AM

24,567 posts, read 17,315,057 times
Pretty much every race of people and religion has suffered some type of persecution through the centuries and at times have been enslaved.

I think what really separates black slavery from the others is that the black folk won't let it go. We have all heard the recent demands for reparations for 150 year old sins. Many blacks still carry themselves as if they wear chains despite the huge strides their people have made since 1865 and despite that a smart black guy holds the highest office in the land it still isn't enough.

Today if we take a walk around the world we will find slaves of all colours, sex and race. Whenever someone can hold their will over another person and bend them to their ways there will be slavery.

I don't know why anyone is denying white slavery. My wife is Irish and how her people were treated back in the day by the British and others was terrible. They were stripped of rights and starved out of their homes.
Right here in America there were signs that read "No Blacks and No Irish"
What the Irish experienced may not be as harsh as being in chains and owned but it was still a form of oppression and that is a key to slavery.

Are the deniers trying to cover up history to make it "nicer" for the PC crowd?

Old 04-21-2016, 10:42 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,918,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Pretty much every race of people and religion has suffered some type of persecution through the centuries and at times have been enslaved.

I think what really separates black slavery from the others is that the black folk won't let it go. We have all heard the recent demands for reparations for 150 year old sins. Many blacks still carry themselves as if they wear chains despite the huge strides their people have made since 1865 and despite that a smart black guy holds the highest office in the land it still isn't enough.

Today if we take a walk around the world we will find slaves of all colours, sex and race. Whenever someone can hold their will over another person and bend them to their ways there will be slavery.

I don't know why anyone is denying white slavery. My wife is Irish and how her people were treated back in the day by the British and others was terrible. They were stripped of rights and starved out of their homes.
What the Irish experienced may not be as harsh as being in chains and owned but it was still a form of oppression and that is a key to slavery.

Are the deniers trying to cover up history to make it "nicer" for the PC crowd?
Define PC crowd.

Last edited by Jeo123; 04-21-2016 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-21-2016, 10:47 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,479,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife is Irish and how her people were treated back in the day by the British and others was terrible. They were stripped of rights and starved out of their homes.
What (if anything) does Ireland teach their country's children about their centuries of oppression under the British?

Old 04-21-2016, 10:50 AM

1,100 posts, read 635,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Slavery has been practiced for centuries and by pretty much all societies on all continents. Slavery can be traced back to 1760 B.C. No one "made up" anything. There's no need.
I concur - I'm just curious where did the whole "white slavery is a lie" myth came about and how wide spread is it? I was pretty blown away last night when someone mentioned it and I legitimately had to walk away from the conversation, as I couldn't believe that people believe that only African's suffered through slavery. I'm assuming the same people have no idea of the word slave and it's origin.

Last edited by NewGuy2016; 04-21-2016 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-21-2016, 01:00 PM

12,064 posts, read 8,467,139 times
Read about the Mann Act, previously known as the White Slave Act:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann_Act

White slavery (and slavery against other young people of different cultures) is still alive and thriving in Minnesota. There is a particularly high demand for the fair-skinned, blonde, young people of Scandinavian heritage in the sex industry.

Many of them never survive the degradation and abuse they are repeatedly subject to.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ojp/for...l%20Report.pdf

Last edited by Lodestar; 04-21-2016 at 01:20 PM..

Old 04-21-2016, 03:17 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,472,265 times
There were no white slaves in America. That's what they may be referring to.
Slavery was practiced in different ways in all continents by almost all peoples in ancient history, Caucasians included. The term "slave" itself was coined from enslaved white people.

News: we live in 2016 in case some people forgot.

1)bWill we ever stop referring to slavery like a current, permanent occurance?
2) Will we ever stop using the "white privilige" mantra? (If I use it millions of times it may become true and explain why today I am an *****). There is no white privillage. (There are so many whites, no way all of them were privillaged)
There was (and in some cases still exists) discrimination against African Americans and other minorities.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,856,904 times
Slavery has been around since the first human understood through power, that they can get free labor from another human. It has impacted almost every group in the world throughout all of history. Despite what some people think, slavery is not exclusive to the US nor to blacks.

Currently, there are lots of slaves of all races. From the black teen girl sex worker in Africa, to the Russian white male who is forced to make bricks for Chechens, to the Chinese old woman locked in a Saudi Arabian house forced to be a house servant.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:26 PM

12,410 posts, read 8,194,844 times
I agree with Lodestar "white slavery" in current usage is a euphemism talking about being forced into sex work or being the security/pimp who takes a portion of a sex worker's earnings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates